Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

P. 28 - Verrückt will be removed from the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby Jew » Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 pm

I would assume Six Flags would only touch it if they don't have to assume the liabilities from the incident.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Did anyone else see all the findings from Schlitterbahn KC's audit? Apparently that led to a less than stellar opening day since so few rides were compliant and legal to operate.

https://www.dol.ks.gov/Files/PDF/SchlitterbahnAuditReport.pdf
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Postby Jew » Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 pm

That's terrifying.

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 am

Jew wrote:That's terrifying.

I wonder what condition their other parks are in. I would imagine that we are looking at a systemic failure here. I could be wrong, but I struggle to see one park in a chain with so many critical deficiencies, and the other parks being steller examples of safety.
--Allen

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 28, 2018 6:37 am

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but the violations could have been something as simple as an additional exit sign or something so miniscule. It's all speculation untill we see the infractions.

This type of thing happens in all types of businesses. We used to run a haunted attraction during October, and had to jump thru all kinds of hoops with inspectors. We had a clearly marked and lit exit door inside our attraction, but they also wanted us to paint exit arrows on the grass outside of the exit. The exit spilled directly into a grassy field with no obstructions. Another example was the tent we used for the attraction had the fire certificate in a waterproof sleeve on the inside of the tent. That was unacceptable to them. They wanted it sewn to the inside of the tent. That's just 2 of the so called"major" violations" we had before they would allow us to open.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 am

It's important to understand that state inspectors do not make it up as they go along. They simply enforce the laws. In the pdf, they state things like this:

The State of Kansas wrote:Safety signage shall meet all F2376 section 12.4 requirements. Signage shall reference minimum/maximum heightand weight (12.4.3.2), obey slide attendant (12.4.1.5), dispatch procedures (12.4.1.3).

So they're going to be looking for those three things, and they'll check off whether they are in place. In this case, they were not, and it has been noted as such.

My only experience with inspectors is in the food service industry, but I can't imagine the procedure is much different. They go in with a checklist to see if the business is complying with the law, and they write down what they find.

Postby Jew » Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 pm

thrillrider wrote:I'm not claiming to be an expert, but the violations could have been something as simple as an additional exit sign or something so miniscule. It's all speculation untill we see the infractions.

This type of thing happens in all types of businesses. We used to run a haunted attraction during October, and had to jump thru all kinds of hoops with inspectors. We had a clearly marked and lit exit door inside our attraction, but they also wanted us to paint exit arrows on the grass outside of the exit. The exit spilled directly into a grassy field with no obstructions. Another example was the tent we used for the attraction had the fire certificate in a waterproof sleeve on the inside of the tent. That was unacceptable to them. They wanted it sewn to the inside of the tent. That's just 2 of the so called"major" violations" we had before they would allow us to open.

Read the report. It's very clear the park management had no understanding of ASTM standards. Missing signage, missing documentation, incomplete training...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm

thrillrider wrote:I'm not claiming to be an expert, but the violations could have been something as simple as an additional exit sign or something so miniscule. It's all speculation untill we see the infractions.

You can read the whole thing here: https://www.dol.ks.gov/Files/PDF/SchlitterbahnAuditReport.pdf

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 am

Normally I'd agree with you, but those sorts of infractions are on pretty much every attraction, according to that audit. A lack of adequate safety signage, a lack of reference manuals for the slides, a lack of documented training and communication procedures, no available inspection reports...

Apparently they haven't been doing the proper parts replacement / upkeep for their Soaring Eagle zip line either.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue May 29, 2018 6:24 am

I've said it a few times before here, but until last year, there were no regulations on amusement attractions in the state of Kansas.

Let me repeat it one more time. Until last year, there were no regulations on amusement attractions. None.

There was no need for any inspections.

No certifications.

No reviews of standard operating procedures. There didn't need to be any. It didn't matter.

What probably happened with Schlitterbahn is that they got caught out by actually having to play by a rule book at the same time their management was getting arrested left and right. Putting together a proper manual for cleaning and maintenance of a pump system took a back seat to getting lawyers and worrying about extradition. This isn't an excuse; just a point about what we take for granted sometimes not being what we think it is.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!