Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

P. 28 - Verrückt will be removed from the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby Thrilryder29 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:14 pm

Accident happened on Verrückt slide this afternoon. Statement will be out at 4:30 pm central time.
www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94254507.html

Boy, 12, dies on Verrückt slide at Schlitterbahn water park in KCK

A 12-year-old boy died Sunday afternoon on the tallest water slide in the world, the Verrückt, at the Schlitterbahn Water Park in Kansas City, Kan.

A park spokeswoman confirmed the death at a news conference Sunday afternoon. Schlitterbahn shut down after the accident and will remain closed Monday. The slide will be closed pending a full investigation.

“We are saddened to share that a young boy died on Verrückt this afternoon,” said Winter Prosapio, corporate director of communications for Schlitterbahn. “Given that safety is our first priority we have closed our Kansas City park and have closed the ride pending a full investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time.”

Prosapio could not say whether the boy fell from the 17-story ride and she could not even say what time Sunday afternoon the incident occurred.

“We’ll have more details for you and we will share them,” she said, “but right now our focus is with the family.”

Off-duty Kansas City, Kan., police officers working security at the park called in the incident at 2:34 p.m. The police are working with the park on the investigation.

Verrückt opened in July 2014. Its German name means “insane.”

Riders must be at least 54 inches tall and are supposed to be at least 14 years old. It was not immediately clear why as 12-year-old was on the slide.

Riders sit in a three-person raft and are secured with straps across the waist and shoulders, like a seat belt. The chute drops 168 feet, 7 inches, and the raft hits speeds of 60 to 70 mph.

The opening of the Verrückt was delayed several times as the development team made adjustments.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94254507.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:04 pm.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/749946926ac277d03ff116c15404c8c2.jpg[/img][/url]

token black guy

Re: Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby jarmor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Thrilryder29 wrote:Accident happened on Verrückt slide this afternoon. Statement will be out at 4:30 pm central time.
www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94254507.html

That article didn't mention the slide . . . is it more than what the article is mentioning some where else?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:25 pm

From what I have read on Twitter it seems that a small child (12 years old) was decapitated while riding Verruckt. But, it's Twitter, so it's not that reliable.
Last edited by DoinItForTheFame on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 pm.
Bigger is not always better.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Thrilryder29 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Accident location is coming from twitter reports... Nothing in confirmed yet.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/749946926ac277d03ff116c15404c8c2.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Here's the news conference:

http://fox4kc.com/on-air/live-streaming-sc/

And yes, Schlitterbahn representative has confirmed that the accident happened on Verrukt.

Winter Prosapio, spokesperson for Schlitterbahn, said the boy died on the Verruckt water slide, which is promoted as the world’s tallest water slide.

Source.
Bigger is not always better.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Oh man...that doesn't sound good.

I remember watching the TV show last year of them building it and having to re-profile it a couple of times due to the dummies flying out of the tube and chute. I have to admit that this slide does look freaking crazy scary!

I will be curious to know if this was a ride malfunction or another instance of someone not following park rules and regulations.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Coaster19 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:15 pm

That is insane. Not much released at the news conference, but I will be intrigued to find out after the investigation, exactly what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...make today a glorious day, you never know who you will influence...

Just Another Life Experience

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby amy_mel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Also from Twitter, witnesses are reporting that the harness system wasn't functioning properly prior to the accident. My thoughts are with the boy's family and anyone who witnessed this.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Satans Hockey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Yikes that is awful. Just watching videos of this ride, thing looks crazy

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby CedarFanboy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:37 pm

That poor boy had his whole life left to live. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and others involved, and I hope that they can prevent this from happening again. :(

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!