USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

P.16 - NYC! Scott's Pizza Tour! Matilda! Statue of Liberty!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

Postby robbalvey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:23 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Here's a fun suggestion for your next visit. If you're in that area again, right across the street from the Meatball Shop, you'll find Luke's Lobster - a casual place that makes the BEST lobster rolls in the city.

Unfortunately neither one of us eat seafood, so that wouldn't be an option for us. But would recommend to friends that do!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby RaceBoarder » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:49 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Great pix from your NYC stay. To me, NYC is a "theme park" with its very own adventures! =)

I love that you all found The Meatball Shop location that is right in my neighborhood (looks like you were at the locale on Amsterdam Ave around 81st St?). Even tho I am only 2 avenues away, on West End Av, because the eatery is part of a chain of restaurants, I'd sadly assumed the food would be "meh," but now, reading your raves, I realize that I've missed out on a good thing in my own backyard! Any special suggestions? Favorite 'balls' you might recommend? :lol: (The parmesan cream sauce sounds crazy good!)

Here's a fun suggestion for your next visit. If you're in that area again, right across the street from the Meatball Shop, you'll find Luke's Lobster - a casual place that makes the BEST lobster rolls in the city. It's really small inside, so it's fun to take the lobster rolls to Central Park (or Riverside Park) for a gourmet picnic! (And have the peanut butter and jelly crepes for dessert!)

Thanks again for those great pix, reminding me of all the stuff I should be getting out and doing in my own "home park." :lmao:

P.S. Kudos for getting your backstage tour of Matilda. A VERY excellent adventure!

P.P.S. To those who rode the Cyclone - is it still as wild 'n crazy as ever?!? :airtime:

Luke's is a cool little restaurant. They only got 6-7 things on the menu, but holy hell are they all awesome! I love the one in Chicago. Shrimp roll FTW!

Just curious, are Lobster Rolls not that common in NYC? I know it's more of a New England thing, but I figured there would be some local place that would beat Luke's out. NYC seems to have everything that would beat out a "chain" type place. Not a knock against Luke's, but I just figured NYC would be diverse enough to have some random "hole in the wall" with an awesome Lobster Roll.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:48 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:Just curious, are Lobster Rolls not that common in NYC? I know it's more of a New England thing, but I figured there would be some local place that would beat Luke's out. NYC seems to have everything that would beat out a "chain" type place. Not a knock against Luke's, but I just figured NYC would be diverse enough to have some random "hole in the wall" with an awesome Lobster Roll.

Lobster Rolls are not common in New York. When I worked in Manhattan my co-workers said Pearl Oyster Bar was the best. I can't tell you for shore because all the NYC lobster rolls are Maine style and I prefer Connecticut style.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Scott's is on my bucket list so I gotta get to NYC and do this soon...and that meatball place sounds wonderful! :lover:

Great report as always!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Great report Robb, just realised how much I want to get back to New York! Glad you guys had a good time at Matilda, it's definitely one of my favourite musicals from the last few years. That backstage tour looks awesome!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby TBpony414 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:44 am

Love your TRs as always, Robb! About how long is Scott's pizza tour? After seeing a couple NYC visits of yours I want to do the tour really badly! Surprised no appearance from Molly's Cupcakes, did they not make the TR or is Elissa in a cupcake coma?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:12 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Love your TRs as always, Robb! About how long is Scott's pizza tour? After seeing a couple NYC visits of yours I want to do the tour really badly! Surprised no appearance from Molly's Cupcakes, did they not make the TR or is Elissa in a cupcake coma?

You know, I'm not sure why I didn't take any pics at Molly's this time around!

Scott's tour is 2-3 hours.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:
ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Great pix from your NYC stay. To me, NYC is a "theme park" with its very own adventures! =)

I love that you all found The Meatball Shop location that is right in my neighborhood (looks like you were at the locale on Amsterdam Ave around 81st St?). Even tho I am only 2 avenues away, on West End Av, because the eatery is part of a chain of restaurants, I'd sadly assumed the food would be "meh," but now, reading your raves, I realize that I've missed out on a good thing in my own backyard! Any special suggestions? Favorite 'balls' you might recommend? :lol: (The parmesan cream sauce sounds crazy good!)

Here's a fun suggestion for your next visit. If you're in that area again, right across the street from the Meatball Shop, you'll find Luke's Lobster - a casual place that makes the BEST lobster rolls in the city. It's really small inside, so it's fun to take the lobster rolls to Central Park (or Riverside Park) for a gourmet picnic! (And have the peanut butter and jelly crepes for dessert!)

Thanks again for those great pix, reminding me of all the stuff I should be getting out and doing in my own "home park." :lmao:

P.S. Kudos for getting your backstage tour of Matilda. A VERY excellent adventure!

P.P.S. To those who rode the Cyclone - is it still as wild 'n crazy as ever?!? :airtime:

Luke's is a cool little restaurant. They only got 6-7 things on the menu, but holy hell are they all awesome! I love the one in Chicago. Shrimp roll FTW!

Just curious, are Lobster Rolls not that common in NYC? I know it's more of a New England thing, but I figured there would be some local place that would beat Luke's out. NYC seems to have everything that would beat out a "chain" type place. Not a knock against Luke's, but I just figured NYC would be diverse enough to have some random "hole in the wall" with an awesome Lobster Roll.

Hi RaceBoarder - No...as far as I know, NYC has great "hole-in-the-wall" spots for most anything BUT lobster rolls. As Larrygater said, Pearl's Oyster Bar used to be the THE place to go, but Luke's seems to have won over most NY-ers. The lobster is flown in daily from Maine and they give you heaping pieces. Not chopped up 'salad' - but actual lobster meat - no fillers! Plus it tastes so fresh (and I'm squeamish about "fresh fish!"). I've only been to the Upper West Side location, but I assume the other outlets are equally good. Luke's is probably one of the few chain places I'd recommend in a heartbeat.

Alice

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:57 pm

How did our personal trip report turn into a discussion about lobster rolls??? We don't even like lobster rolls!!!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:15 pm

^because one unnamed moderator did a poor job of keeping the discussion on track.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:15 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!