Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Como Town and Como Zoo
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Location: Orlando
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:54 pm

F*ck yeah, I love Valleyfair and all it's mid-90s Cedar Fair asphalt and carbon-copy building glory! I strangely found Renegade to be the smoothest in the back row, and it's one of my favorite GCIs. It kicked my a$$ in the middle rows, but in the back you get insane airtime and you're just thrown around like a rag doll.

Wild Thing is also a seriously underrated Morgan. That small hill it has after the first or second drop (I forgot which), delivers serious sustained airtime, and while it's not an Intamin or RMC, it's a really fun ride.

Awesome report! I love parks like this or Dorney because you can go the first Saturday in July and the whole park is still essentially your own ERT session all day.

Bonafide Donkey Expert
User avatar
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Edina, MN
Gender: Male
Age: 49

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby RCjunkie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 am

Nice TR. I always enjoy reading what others think of my home park VF and I think your impression is right on. Of course you probably would have liked the the park better in the 70's, 80's and 90's because it had a flume ride. ;)

coasterbill wrote:Well... joke's on us. This park is in the middle of god damn nowhere.

Yes. Let this be of note to others that visit. But at least you can actually Uber there to and from the airport.

coasterbill wrote:Speaking of which: is anyone actually even in charge of Minnesota or is it just whatever moose has the biggest antlers?

Nope. It’s actually the moose with the biggest testicles.

coasterbill wrote:The transitions are f*cking horrifying and absolutely the type of nightmarish Arrow bullsh*t you would expect from a mine train but at much higher speeds. There are countless occasions where you're riding along, you stare at some hellish mess of a transition up ahead and you yell a collective "Oh, fu*ck that" but then you go through it and you somehow don't die.


Spot on description. Surpised you liked it.

coasterbill wrote:The ride was running one train but it was a complete walk-on (probably since it's buried in the back of the park) and we were on the front row on the next train.


It can only run one train, that is all it has now. Three years ago they started using the other one for parts to support the running one. This has only added fuel to the rumors of it’s demise.

coasterbill wrote:Wild Thing just teabags the entire front half of the park.

I will never look at that part of the park the same way ever again. :lmao: This is exactly why I follow this thread. :lol: But it's true with Wild Thing's turn around there.


coasterbill wrote:Both Power Tower and the swing were a blast (as always), and we definitely got off wondering why there aren't more of these crazy swing rides in the world. To be fair... I don't know the last time I rode a Screaming Swing and DIDN'T get off pondering that question. :lol:

Same here. EVERY park should have one. Small foot print and tons of fun.

coasterbill wrote:Meeting enthusiasts is always an iffy proposition…….(Okay, it was ONE week before Memorial Day weekend so I guess it had one week to warm up like 30 degrees before the "unofficial start of summer"


Unfortunately true! :lol: Glad you were adventurous enough to gamble and do that though. Had a great time meeting and riding with you and Brit. Just wish you had better weather that weekend. Of course it was 80 degrees two days after you left. Typical Minnesota spring day, a total flip of the coin. It could be a high of 50 degrees and cold or 80 and sunny on any given day in May. Hope you found the suspension heaters that night at Target Field. And I agree, Target Field is a gem. If there is a next time hopefully you get to experience it on a nice summer day like it should be. Looking forward to the rest of this TR.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!
User avatar
 
Posts: 118
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Location: MA
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby Zand » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Eating pierogies right next to an operating power surge at the Big E in Springfield MA right now. Feel like that fits in a coasterbill TR thread. Beer selection is excellent too.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13382
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:24 am

Zand wrote:Eating pierogies right next to an operating power surge at the Big E in Springfield MA right now. Feel like that fits in a coasterbill TR thread. Beer selection is excellent too.


:lol: For sure!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report!

That's a shame Renegade wasn't the smoothest. I had heard that was one of the better GCIs. I've found GCIs can get pretty rough after a few years and that's one of the reasons I made it a priority to get out to ride Mystic Timbers a few weeks ago.

Target Field looks awesome too. I'm also glad to hear the fans were cool too. A great stadium can be ruined by lackadaisical and uncaring fans (see the Angels ballpark which is a beauty, but that crowd...).


Thanks. I'd like to give Renegade another shot, while it was far from smooth, I think I may have enjoyed it if not for my back deciding to be a d*ck.

Hilltopper39 wrote:
I just wanted an excuse to let everyone know that there's now an honest-to-god professional baseball team called the Hartford Yard Goats. :lol:


Did ya see the name of the new team in Alabama.......

Rocket City Trash Pandas


:lol: I love this.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Sorry you had a bad experience with Renegade. Glad it didn't put an end to your running when you're so far from your home. ;)


You know I actually saw Styx at Great Adventure back when they were semi interested in getting C list names and not Youtube personalities? They played with REO Speedwagon too. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you're proud of yourself. lol

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Good for going to Target Field. It really is beautiful. Perfectly said about ballparks being destinations.


Yeah, that place is stunning. I think it's my favorite *modern* ballpark that doesn't have the advantage of some amazing, ridiculous view over the outfield wall (see San Francisco or Pittsburgh which aren't even fair). Well... aside from Camden Yards.

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:I love parks like this or Dorney because you can go the first Saturday in July and the whole park is still essentially your own ERT session all day.


Yeah, that's pretty much how it was. The only rides that ever got lines were High Roller (since it was running one train) and the mouse.

RCjunkie wrote:I will never look at that part of the park the same way ever again. :lmao: This is exactly why I follow this thread. :lol: But it's true with Wild Thing's turn around there.


So happy I could ruin that for you. :lol:

RCjunkie wrote:Glad you were adventurous enough to gamble and do that though. Had a great time meeting and riding with you and Brit. Just wish you had better weather that weekend. Of course it was 80 degrees two days after you left. Typical Minnesota spring day, a total flip of the coin. It could be a high of 50 degrees and cold or 80 and sunny on any given day in May. Hope you found the suspension heaters that night at Target Field. And I agree, Target Field is a gem. If there is a next time hopefully you get to experience it on a nice summer day like it should be. Looking forward to the rest of this TR.


:lol: Nah it was fine. We don't mind the cold, as long as it doesn't rain we're good. And yeah, it was awesome hanging out. I'm sure we'll be back whenever the mall or Valleyfair adds a coaster, it could be awhile though since Valleyfair just got one this year. ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6325
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am

coasterbill wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Sorry you had a bad experience with Renegade. Glad it didn't put an end to your running when you're so far from your home. ;)


You know I actually saw Styx at Great Adventure back when they were semi interested in getting C list names and not Youtube personalities? They played with REO Speedwagon too. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you're proud of yourself. lol

:lol: Completely deserved. You should know by now that I cannot resist a really lame joke, especially a music-related one. :lmao:

coasterbill wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Good for going to Target Field. It really is beautiful. Perfectly said about ballparks being destinations.


Yeah, that place is stunning. I think it's my favorite *modern* ballpark that doesn't have the advantage of some amazing, ridiculous view over the outfield wall (see San Francisco or Pittsburgh which aren't even fair). Well... aside from Camden Yards.

Oh yeah, PNC is amazing, and Pittsburgh itself is really beautiful now that you can actually see it. :lol:
Image

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!
User avatar
 
Posts: 902
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 38

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 am

coasterbill wrote:Camden Yards was so great that suddenly EVERY CITY wanted their own Camden Yards. In the year's that followed, Arlington, Denver, Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Francisco, New York and Atlanta have all opened their own "Camden Yards" style ballparks (along with countless minor league teams like the Memphis Redbirds, Aberdeen Ironbirds, Columbus Cippers, Hartford Yard Goats and New York Mets).

Okay, this is why I've gotta stop reading your trip reports during my lunch break at my desk. Now I have to explain to the office manager why I'm wiping chicken remnants and caesar dressing off of my iMac's screen. Unexpected Mets dig resulted in a much larger belly laugh than expected. :lol:
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13382
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 am

coneyislandchris wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Camden Yards was so great that suddenly EVERY CITY wanted their own Camden Yards. In the year's that followed, Arlington, Denver, Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Francisco, New York and Atlanta have all opened their own "Camden Yards" style ballparks (along with countless minor league teams like the Memphis Redbirds, Aberdeen Ironbirds, Columbus Cippers, Hartford Yard Goats and New York Mets).

Okay, this is why I've gotta stop reading your trip reports during my lunch break at my desk. Now I have to explain to the office manager why I'm wiping chicken remnants and caesar dressing off of my iMac's screen. Unexpected Mets dig resulted in a much larger belly laugh than expected. :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol: Glad I could be of service.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz
User avatar
 
Posts: 5282
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Location: Managing realistic expectations @ SFGreat America
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am

Yay you finally got to Minnea!

Sorry to hear about Renegade. I haven't been this year but I've been hyping it up as a supremely underrated GCI since visited. Maybe this year's extended winter made it rougher usual. Who am I kidding it's a GCI.

Target field is a nice little modern ballpark, yep! I was surprised with how close the light rail stop is to it. It's more convenient than Wrigley and the L!

I love Minnea.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13382
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 am

I really feel like on a different day I could ride Renegade and enjoy it more. I don't totally blame the ride.

As for the light rail, I'm a rental car guy but the public transportation system in Minneapolis is so good that we almost didn't bother. Eventually we came around only because hotels right along the light rail are more expensive than comparable hotels that aren't and since it made more sense to hotel hop anyway it's nice to just throw some stuff in the trunk. When we realized that the hotel prices made the costs pretty comperable we just got the car because of the convenience factor.

That was the only time I ever rented a car for 3 days and only used 1/2 a tank of gas. Generally when people rent me a car it comes back a few days later with like 1,500 more miles on it than it had a few days prior long overdue for an oil change. :lol:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
 
Posts: 326
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 am

Didn't see any mention of Valleyfair's new coaster Delirious. Did you skip it? Did I miss it? Was the line too long without a fastlane?

And visiting ballparks is something I want to start doing. Next season we are actually going to try to plan some trips around the Indians road schedule. I'm kicking myself for not noticing the Indians were playing the Twins on my one and only trip to Valleyfair in 2016.

Nice report!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron