Photo TR: Viking86 goes to Walibi Holland

Vekomaland, stuck on Xpress, Goliath, Lost Gravity...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Photo TR: Viking86 goes to Walibi Holland

Postby viking86 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 am

Life as a coaster enthusiast in an area where there is not a single rollercoaster nearby can be hard, particularly when reading about all the new coasters opening. Having not ridden a rollercoaster since August last year, I had for the last couple of weeks been thinking about flying somewhere for a weekend, just to get my ‘coaster fix’.

Well, by a massive stroke of luck I had to go on an urgent business trip to the Netherlands. Work started on Monday, so I would be flying down on Sunday. But instead of flying down in the afternoon/evening I decided to take an early morning flight to Amsterdam and stop by Walibi Holland on the way.

01.jpg
After just a few hours of sleep I got up at 4 AM to catch the 6:15 AM flight to Amsterdam. The weather on the flight was beautiful.

02.jpg
After a short wait in Amsterdam I was on a train crusing through the Dutch countryside.

03.jpg
Another train journey later I made it to Harderwijk. When you see a bus that says “247 Walibi” on it you know you are in the right place.

04.jpg
I spy rollercoasters through the trees!

05.jpg
Yay I made it to Walibi Holland! I arrived at the park about one hour after opening. Now THIS is a great way to start a business trip!

06.jpg
Walibi Holland main street.

07.jpg
I went straight to Goliath as it was the ride I wanted to ride the most.

08.jpg
At the start of the day it was running only one train. Fortunately it was only a 5-train wait.

09.jpg
Happy riders returning!

So my thoughts on Goliath? It’s a solid, fun ride! It’s nothing mindblowing, and the middle section is a bit weak, but it’s a very fun ride that I could ride over and over again. The part from the top of the lift to the first S-hill is really good. Great airtime over the second hill.

After Goliath I headed over to Robin Hood, the first Vekoma woodie. This area of the park was quite nicely themed.

10.jpg
The entrance to Robin Hood.

11.jpg
Transfer track action! They added a second train while I was standing in line.

12.jpg

My experience on Robin Hood was not the best. The layout was quite fun, and it wasn’t any rougher than your average wooden coaster, but my restraint tightened quite a lot during the ride. Unfortunately this made the experience rather uncomfortable.

13.jpg
It’s a beautiful ride in a great setting!

14.jpg
Here’s a first look at Lost Gravity. The line was quite long so I saved it for later in the day. I will come back to this ride later in this trip report.

15.jpg
Time to ride Rock’n Rollercoaster.... I mean Xpress Platform 9 3/4..... Damnit, I mean Xpress Platform 13.

The story of the ride is about a subway station being closed due to paranormal activity. You enter through the ticket office, and then you go in groups down into the subway tunnels. Overall I thought the theming was quite well done!

16.jpg
A look at the ticket office part of the queue

*Please note that all the following pictures were taken after the ride had stopped, and that my phone was in a zipped pocket up until this point.*

So my first ride on Xpress didn’t go quite as planned. We had the FULL launch, immediately followed by a FULL stop accompanied by the loud rattling of friction brakes!

17.jpg
So this is as far as we made it. Does this count as getting the credit?

18.jpg
Since I already have the Rock’n Rollercoaster credit I give the experience a thumbs up!

19.jpg
Well, at least being stuck on Xpress gives you the opportunity to get some views of the ride that you don't normally get.

20.jpg

21.jpg
Hey Goliath, care to give us a helping hand over here??!!

22.jpg
After about 5-6 minutes they reversed the train back a little, manually released the restraints and evacuated us off the ride.

23.jpg

24.jpg
Xpress backstage area! They gave everyone a single-use fastpass, which would be very handy shortly after.

25.jpg
Walibi Holland is actually quite a beautiful park. The setting is great!

Okay, with a fastpass in hand it was time to check out Lost Gravity. First of all, let me say that I LOVE the theming for this ride. It’s so bizarre and unique, but it helps to create a fantastic atmosphere around the ride.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg
There is a DJ booth inside the upside down helicopter.

32.jpg
Yes, the fastpass line actually goes through a bus.

33.jpg
It's not tall people friendly!

34.jpg
The first drop just looks ridicilous!

The first drop is great, and the small hill after it has some great air. The ride is a little shaky right in this spot, but nothing major.

35.jpg
The wave turn is a funky element!

36.jpg
Riders zooming by! The trains are great, as expected from Mack.

37.jpg
Diving out of the MCBR.

38.jpg
The ride is not very fast after the MCBR, which produces plenty of hangtime. I’m more of a speed person, so it wasn’t my favorite ending. It was still good though.

39.jpg

40.jpg
Because F#CK SLOW!

41.jpg
Lost Gravity is located right next to western town.

42.jpg
I have no idea what the story is behind the theming on this ride. The train looks awesome, but what’s up with the random locomotive just sitting there in the field?

42_1.jpg
I had a burger here. It was alright.

43.jpg
Yay, more Vekoma rides!

44.jpg
The tunnel on the backwards lift is actually an awesome concept! It makes it feel like it’s a lot steeper than what it actually is.

45.jpg
The new vest-restraints are brilliant! It doesn’t magically turn a Boomerang into a great ride, but it makes it far less uncomfortable. There are many rides out there which would benefit from these trains.

46.jpg
My head was already spinning after riding the Boomerang, so I easily skipped this one.

47.jpg
Walibi Holland has a classic log flume. I didn’t ride it, but it looks great!

They got Xpress up and running again so I went for a ride. Since I’ve been on Rock’n Rollercoaster, there weren’t really any surprises in store. The launch felt a little stronger on Xpress, but other than that the Disney version is far superior. The layout just isn’t very exciting when it’s outdoors and you can see everything. Also I didn’t like the trains, they were very cramped and uncomfortable. Again they are much better on Rock’n Rollercoaster.

48.jpg
This is the best view of Xpress from inside the park, taken from the exit path of the rapids ride.

49.jpg
Oh great, another Vekoma! And not just any Vekoma, but THE VERY FIRST SLC!

50.jpg
The ride looks great, but it’s complete CRAP!

51.jpg
Even this part is jerky!

52.jpg
These are NOT faces of joy

53.jpg
This is also NOT a face of joy!

At least I didn’t have to wait in line for it as the ride was a walk-on. The most incredible thing I saw were numerous people doing rerides without leaving their seat. I guess some people enjoy being tortured...

54.jpg
The park has a great sense of personal responsibility. No fences around the paths, anyone can hang around on the grass or go down to the water.

55.jpg
I think this guy was dead. Probably rode too many Vekomas...

56.jpg
Talking about personal responsibility...

57.jpg
In order to recover from getting my head and body bashed around I ended my day with riding Goliath.

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg
The ride is located at a dead-end at the back of the park, so there are not many good views of the ride from inside the park.

61.jpg
The dead guy was gone when I left the park. Great to see that the cleaning staff at Walibi Holland are doing a good job of removing dead people from their park.

While waiting for my pickup I took a stroll outside the park to get some final pictures. You can get some great views of Xpress and Goliath from outside the park.

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

Overall I had a great day at Walibi Holland! Weather was beautiful, crowds were fairly low and all the staff were super friendly. Great atmosphere around the park also. The park has a good amount of rides, but ride quality is lacking a little.

Thanks for reading! :)
Last edited by viking86 on Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 am.

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Re: Photo TR: Viking86 goes to Walibi Holland

Postby BDG » Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 am

Nice report! :nina:

Looks like you had a great day. Nice weather, short queues.

Did you ride the mad house (in the medieval castle)? No mention of it?

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu May 05, 2016 11:29 am

Nice report!! I loved the photos from Xpress! Thanks for sharing!!
Bigger is not always better.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 05, 2016 11:38 am

Great trip report! I too, took the train and that bus to get to the park, from Amsterdam.
And I too, had a burger to eat at Friar Tuck's, and it was 'okay' too. Nothing special.

And I remember actually hearing people crying out (in pain?) on that SLC, when you stood at a certain
spot near the coaster. It was all the influence I needed, NOT to go on that thing ever again, lol.

I hope to get back there in time, for a ride on Lost Gravity. Thanks for all your great photos of it! :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby viking86 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone! :)

Nrthwnd wrote:And I remember actually hearing people crying out (in pain?) on that SLC, when you stood at a certain
spot near the coaster. It was all the influence I needed, NOT to go on that thing ever again, lol.

Lol that's not surprising! The ride was absolutely terrible and went straight to the bottom as possibly the worst rollercoaster I've ever ridden.

BDG wrote:Did you ride the mad house (in the medieval castle)? No mention of it?

No, I didn't ride it. My head was already spinning a little from the combination of little sleep and rollercoasters with high G-forces, so I wasn't sure how my brain would handle it. I therefore decided to give it a pass. I did get a picture of it though.
extra01.jpg
Last edited by viking86 on Thu May 05, 2016 2:30 pm.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Goliath has been high on my 'wish list' ever since I learned about theme parks outside of Ohio. It looks stellar! Thanks for the photos.
-Zach
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Thu May 05, 2016 3:12 pm

Very nice pictures! I hadn't seen that upside down tree next to Lost Gravity before now, nice little theming touch. I also really like that the fast past line goes through a bus, brilliant!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Very nice shot of Merlins Castle. It's one of my favourite mad house-haunted swing attractions,
besides the ones in Parc Asterix (about who else?); Efteling (Fairy tale gone wrong);
Alton Towers (A cursed tree); and Phantasialand (Asia!)....whew!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the report, I'm looking forward to visiting this park for the first time next month. The Lost Gravity theme and queue looks great - very unique!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 05, 2016 6:51 pm

The train boxes hanging over the gp in that queue looks totally insane!

In a good, scary way, LOL! =)

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!