TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Least Favorite B&M?

...How 2 super smooth coasters can manage to kill me with the vest restraints also confuses me.

I can agree with you on that.The vest restraints are by far my least favorite restraint. The amount of discomfort they cause greatly destroys the ride for me.

Doesn't bother me during the ride but on the brakes they're REALLY painful imo. I hope they've fixed this on newer models (Valravn and Thunderbird I felt less of a death-squeeze on, so maybe?)

GateKeeper and Banshee are my two least favorite B&Ms but they're still some of my favorite coasters overall. Wild Eagle was worse with the tightening but the setting and hyper coaster drop were very cool.

I don't get the whole "forceless" or "rattly" deal on these though, they're fun and floaty rides that are 95% smooth and have uncomfortable restraints. Looking forward to trying X-Flight in a few days here, then I'll have been on all 4 B&M wing coasters in the US.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's because I'm taller, but I'm really fond of the vest style restraints simply because they don't staple my shoulders like rigid OTSRs tend to do (plus I haven't noticed any of the commonly cited problems with them)...unpopular opinion, it seems.

Back to topic, probably Scream at SFMM. Aside from the whole "parking lot coaster" thing, it's really brutal and flat out not fun.

I don't think I've wanted a coaster to end as much as Apocalypse at Six Flags America. Not only my least favorite B&M but probably my least favorite coaster of all time. I don't care if I ever ride it again.

And to be honest, Vortex at Carowinds really isn't much better either.

GateKeeper is an amazing coaster! Anybody who thinks it's force-less, or boring, needs to find a hobby more suited to them than coaster-riding! Seriously, people need to GTFO with that nonsense when it comes to coasters in general, unless we're talking kiddie coasters, or something of that nature...

As for these allegedly "crushing" vest restraints, that was fixed years ago. I ride GateKeeper as much or more than any other CP coaster, and can attest to the fact they no longer tighten up during the ride. That's pretty much a roller coaster "old wives tale" at this point!

Regarding least favorite B&M? It's a tough call, as they're mostly all such amazing coasters! However, I can easily say that Vortex at Carowinds is the worst! Halfway through that already short coaster, and I wanted off of it in the worst way!

^ I thought back row on Gatekeeper was actually pretty forceful. But even when I rode 2nd row from the front, I still really liked it. That row stalls in the inversions and provides some great hang time. And I found the restraints very comfortable. It's my 2nd favorite B&M in the park, with Raptor being #1.

Goliath at Over Georgia. Never understood why people like that ride.

Because they like airtime? I thought it was a great coaster.

Vortex at Carowinds is the worst coaster I have ever ridden.

...How 2 super smooth coasters can manage to kill me with the vest restraints also confuses me.

I can agree with you on that.The vest restraints are by far my least favorite restraint. The amount of discomfort they cause greatly destroys the ride for me.

Yeah, I'm 5'11" and depending on how I sit, sometimes the vest restraints dig into my collarbone a bit. If you're taller than me, I can definitely understand them being uncomfortable.

I don't know if I've given an answer on this thread, because I haven't looked, but Green Lantern at SF Great Adventure is the worst I've been on.

I don't like lumbering through slow rolls and cookie cutter elements on the wing coasters, and I don't like flying coasters in general (sky coasters, slingshots, & even the B&M inverts do a much better & more comfortable job of giving a "free" feeling in the air), but I have to go with the remaining early stand-ups like Apocalypse and Vortex. They aren't fun to ride and more interesting coasters have passed them by. I do appreciate that they have original layouts, but that's about it.

To balance this post out with some positives, I love almost all of the '90s B&M inverts, the dive coasters are excellent, & I firmly believe that hearing a B&M roar is good for your health.

Without question it would be Vortex at Carowinds for me.

I have to go with the remaining early stand-ups like Apocalypse and Vortex. They aren't fun to ride and more interesting coasters have passed them by.

hes-right-you-know-27673105.png