TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Credit

Question:

Let's say you visit a NEW park, and they - for example - have a Vekoma Boomerang. Your home park also has a Boomerang. So as a result, you decide to skip it at this new park, since you've already been on that same model several times before elsewhere.

Would anyone count this as a "clone" credit?

I really don't care, I'm just curious...

It's totally up to you. There isn't any rules for how you count and people make up new rules all the time. I know people who count relocated coasters, cloned coasters, double tracks of coasters, even cycle monorails or log flumes as coasters. Hell, I probably know people that if you pushed them down a steep driveway in a shopping cart, they'd probably count that too.

Which, goes back to my earlier statement that "counting is dumb" and why bother in that case?

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're basically saying that going on Formula Rossa is the same as riding a Wacky Worm

Never said that. Height or speed alone just doesn't make a good coaster. Sure, the "world's fastest" is still more interesting than some Wacky Worm, but "worlds fastest" still says very little about the quality of the ride and how "worth" the trip was. People get impressed by those records, but it doesn't mean much.

You're basically saying that going on Formula Rossa is the same as riding a Wacky Worm

Never said that. Height or speed alone just doesn't make a good coaster. Sure, the "world's fastest" is still more interesting than some Wacky Worm, but "worlds fastest" still says very little about the quality of the ride and how "worth" the trip was. People get impressed by those records, but it doesn't mean much.

That's not even the point of this thread.

EDIT: And I also see that you're a new screen name for someone we recently banned on the forum for being an obnoxious poster. Thankfully, we caught that and you're now banned again. I guess your new screen name should have given it away...

Edited by robbalvey

It's totally up to you. There isn't any rules for how you count and people make up new rules all the time. I know people who count relocated coasters, cloned coasters, double tracks of coasters, even cycle monorails or log flumes as coasters.

This better not be a thing that people actually do.

It's totally up to you. There isn't any rules for how you count and people make up new rules all the time. I know people who count relocated coasters, cloned coasters, double tracks of coasters, even cycle monorails or log flumes as coasters.

This better not be a thing that people actually do.

It is. And there are people who ride a coaster and then won't ride the clone at another park, but will count the clone at the second park as ridden.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I DO count clones and relocations as separate credits,but riding them isn't a priority for me.Case in point:If I ever get out to SFMM,the main rides I'm getting on would be Ninja,Revolution,and S:TE.SFMM's B:TR & Scream are dead last because I've ridden the $h*t outta B:TR & Medusa/Bizarro at Great Adv. .

PS-I also would NEVER go out of my way for a wacky worm credit;the couple of times I've ridden one were at park events where those particular rides were part of the ERT and I felt weirded out even then(hence my abstinence from those kinds of rides).

There isn't any rules for how you count and people make up new rules all the time. I know people who count relocated coasters, cloned coasters, double tracks of coasters, even cycle monorails or log flumes as coasters.

YES! Coaster count up by the hundreds now... I LOVE Splash Mountain at Disney World.

I've actually never understood the whole "credit" thing.

I mean, I have nothing against those who do keep track, but it's never appealed to me. . . heck, I haven't updated the coaster count in my banner in a while (and what is there is just a guess anyways).

but since I've done CP, KD, and BGW since I last counted, I guess I should update somewhat.

but yeah.. . I don't really understand why it's important to some. More power to em tho.

I like numbers. I have kept a spreadsheet since 2009 tracking all the music shows I've gone to (over 800!).

I now have a similar sheet for roller coasters listing the coaster, install date, type, manufacturer and number of rides. It won't ever mean anything to anybody else, but I enjoy looking at it. My credits jumped from 7 to 42 this year and will increase by over 100 next summer alone. I can't wait to ride them all and log them in.

I like the fact that in a second I can see that Swamp Fox is the oldest coaster I've ever ridden and Invadr is the newest. Or that I have ridden six Arrow coasters or twelve B&Ms. Or nine coasters at Carowinds and six at BGW.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone happens to give a damn about a random internet dudes opinion:

I don't count. I know my count is low...less than 100 I'm sure. But I absolutely consider myself a fairly seasoned enthusiast. Why? Because my low count includes some of the most unique and important roller coaster experiences in the world. I've ridden one of the only two strata coasters in existence (TTD) many times. I've ridden one of the few giga coasters in the world, many times (MF). I've ridden two of the 5 (5 right?) roller coasters in the world with 100+ mph launches including Formula Rossa (and yes, ignoring the fact that it is actually a great total ride experience despite people who haven't been on it crying 'one trick pony', a 150mph launch alone, by itself, makes it worth the trip because you cannot get this experience anywhere else). I've also ridden a few 4D coasters, flying coasters, etc. I've even been to Holiday World and ridden some of the best wooden roller coasters on the planet. So with a very low number, I've experienced a very wide range of roller coasters and ridden some of the best the world has to offer. For me, this is what it's about. There are many times I've been to a park and skipped a roller coaster simply because I didn't think it would offer anything new or expand my experience in any way.

The question I ask before getting on a new ride is: 'Will this roller coaster offer something new to what I've experienced?' If the answer is a definite no, I skip it.

I count credits, but mainly for my own entertainment. As you can see in my signature, my coaster count is quite low. Besides the fact that I'm new to the coaster enthusiast world, I don't ride coasters for the sake of earning "credits". I skip the kiddie coasters at the parks I visit, and I don't go out of my way to get random wild mouse/wacky worm credits. That said, I don't look down on people who do. My main focus, when riding coasters, is to have fun. That's what this hobby is about, right?

As for what counts as a credit, I just use CoasterCounter.com. They count Superman: Escape from Krypton as 2 credits (because it has two tracks) and pre-retrack and post-retrack Ghostrider as two separate credits - which is a little ridiculous, but I really don't care.

I like numbers. I have kept a spreadsheet since 2009 tracking all the music shows I've gone to (over 800!).

I now have a similar sheet for roller coasters listing the coaster, install date, type, manufacturer and number of rides. It won't ever mean anything to anybody else, but I enjoy looking at it. My credits jumped from 7 to 42 this year and will increase by over 100 next summer alone. I can't wait to ride them all and log them in.

I like the fact that in a second I can see that Swamp Fox is the oldest coaster I've ever ridden and Invadr is the newest. Or that I have ridden six Arrow coasters or twelve B&Ms. Or nine coasters at Carowinds and six at BGW.

Ten+ years ago I used to keep track of the number for the sake of the number, but now I don't care about that much anymore. I definitely do care a little bit though; I'm gonna hit 300 this season. But I would never go out of my way to ride a kiddie coaster like I used to.

But I do love working on my excel sheet. It sounds like mine is very similar to yours. I just keep thinking of more things to track, and fun ways to manipulate the data. I also use it as an excuse to teach myself some more advanced excel skills.

732443444_creditcount.thumb.jpg.db27b11395edffb6ca8c1c1face83972.jpg

1274417826_creditcount2.thumb.jpg.484ba40512326316e7bc98aa40fd4946.jpg

Ah the infamous question, one that has lead to many fierce debates

Personally: to each their own.

I don't care about "creds" I do keep track but only because I'm a nerd. I like keeping track of things, I liked spreadsheets and numbers and stats...and it is a hobby, just like some people collect sneakers (and I find it silly a friend has like 500 sneakers) I like to know how many coasters I've been on, and he may find that weird

But I never cared about cred whoring, like ya know I dont do kiddie coasters, I avoid boomerangs and SLCs, I wont go out of my way strictly for a cred, and I take kind of a conservative view, like I dont count each side of an identical racing coaster as their own, clones are all diff but not re locations, no water slides no fair ground loops

But if someone wanted to, that's cool to each their own.

• 7 months later...
If a roller coaster is defined by gravity does me sliding down my stairs when I was 5 count as a credit.

It does, actually.

Break out the Vekoma boxes!