TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone ridden all the RMCs yet?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a 2017 update, adding Wicked Cyclone.

1. Medusa Steel Coaster - The strongest airtime plus the best views/setting high above Mexico City. Great visuals everywhere on this one from the lift to the inverting first drop and the brief dash through the trees. My #4 overall steel.

2. Outlaw Run - Great variety of forces on this one plus breakneck pacing and the best first drop of the bunch. My #5 wood.

3. Wicked Cyclone - The most complete layout of them all and possibly the strongest positive g's of the i-box conversions.

4. Twisted Colossus - Racing element is a plus when you get it. Love the length and twin first drops.

5. Iron Rattler - The least complete layout but also the most unique. The barrel roll up over the cliff is in my all-time pantheon of great inversions.

6. New Texas Giant - Still a great coaster, but it lacks the OMFG ejector air and dynamic transitions of the newer RMCs.

7. The Joker - Again, a very good coaster, but nothing stands out about it over the others. Layout doesn't flow as well or have a truly standout moment.

6. New Texas Giant - Still a great coaster, but it lacks the OMFG ejector air and dynamic transitions of the newer RMCs.

This goes to show how far the RMC designs have progressed. When NTG was under construction, I remember everybody's jaw being on the floor, given how dynamic and wild its layout was shaping up to be. Now, it's still a pretty nuts ride, but it almost seems conservative compared to the stalls, directional changes, and onslaught pacing featured on some of the company's newer coasters.

This goes to show how far the RMC designs have progressed. When NTAG was under construction, I remember everybody's jaw being on the floor, given how dynamic and wild its layout was shaping up to be. Now, it's still a pretty nuts ride, but it almost seems conservative compared to the stalls, directional changes, and onslaught pacing featured on some of the company's newer coasters.

NTG is also the only RMC with both a chain lift and no inversions (all other RMC chain lift coasters have at least one inversion; Lightning Rod also has no inversions, but has a launch).

I still haven't ridden an RMC, but here are the chances (percentages by me) on what will be my first RMC:

RMC Mean Streak (2018) - 40%

Storm Chaser - 30%

Goliath (SFGAm) - 25%

Lightning Rod - 4%

Any other RMC - 1%

Just rode Joker. Kind of meh compared to the rest of their repertoire. I don't know if I love their style on some of the smaller scope rides. Their coasters ride much better when the elements are larger. But then again Goliath ....

Updated list:

Medusa Steel - I just love this ride so freaking much.

Lightning Rod

Outlaw Run

Iron Rattler

Texas Giant

Twisted Colossus

Joker

Goliath

Should ride Storm Chaser later this summer, and then will just be missing Wildfire and Wicked Cyclone.

Edited by coasterer

I've only been on 6 and my ranking is based on how much fun I have on the ride:

1. Twisted Colossus

2. Iron Rattler

3. Storm Chaser

4. New Texas Giant

5. Outlaw Run

6. Goliath

In all honesty, 3, 4 and 5 are equally as enjoyble as each other. Goliath is by far my least favourite. Twisted Colossus is just an outrageous ride that put a huge smile on my face, love the second lift hill and the anticipation of waiting to see if you will duel the other train. I'm a sucker for a coaster that uses the terrain so I love Iron Rattler, that canyon drop is one of my favourite drops in the world!

^^That's a good point, honestly I forget that Medusa is that small. There was just something about the setting, pacing, and perfectly sustained intensity that makes Medusa SO Much more compelling than Joker, despite the comparable heights. Lightning Rod is so crazy I don't even know what to do with it in terms of ranking, but Medusa has to be in my top 5 favorite coasters of all time.

I've still only been on Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone. I pretty much like them equally, but if I HAD to choose one, I would choose Wicked Cyclone since it has fantastic pacing and much stronger airtime and elements. The two drops and the dueling is what makes TC good.

I'll be visiting both Kings Dominion and Cedar Point this summer, but I'm missing their new RMCs by a year. Bummer. Maybe one day I'll get up to SFDK and ride Joker. Other than that, I don't think I'll be riding any new RMCs in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

I've ridden 5 RMCs so far, all of them except for one are in my current top 10.

1. Wicked Cyclone-Probably best airtime out of any coaster I've ridden. The double down is probably the best element.

2. Iron Rattler- The interaction with the quarry wall and the tunnel are some of the best moments on any coaster.

3. New Texas Giant- Also amazing airtime. Not much to say except it was the first.

4. Storm Chaser- The first RMC I rode. The barrel roll drop is pretty unique and there's airtime.

5. Goliath- The drop is probably the second best on the RMCs I rode. The dive loop and stall after one another is pretty cool, only problem is it's a bit short.

I can finally say that I have now been on more than one RMC! Yesterday I made it out to Kentucky Kingdom for the first time in years (last time was way back during the Six Flags days). I was really impressed with park in general and Storm Chaser ended up being my favorite coaster in the park. Out of my two rides on the coaster, I found the front to be a lot more fun.

Anyways, my rankings as of now:

1. Lightning Rod

2. Storm Chaser

My list should have Twisted Colossus included, but unfortunately it was closed during my first ever visit to Six Flags Magic Mountain back in May. Hopefully by next year I can add two or three more to the list.

I've been on all but 5. Here are my rankings...

1. Outlaw run

2. Iron rattler

3. Texas giant

4. Goliath

Going to be checking out Kentucky kingdom and Dollywood within a month to grab 2 more RMC'S.

Edited by thrillrider

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent the morning at KK... holy crap, I just got my butt whooped by Storm Chaser. I know it's had some mixed reviews over the last couple years, so I was expecting it to peter out by the end into the lower tier of my RMC rankings, but good Lord! It was almost too intense! The first half was very ride-able, until the twisted turn around thing, where it just felt like it got faster and faster. The last 4 hills had me screaming in agony/delight/surprise/pain? I can't even tell you.

After 4 laps I had to go sit on a bench and snack on something, which I don't think I've ever had to do in my 12+ years as a coaster enthusiast. I liked it I guess? In some ways it way exceeded my expectations. In other ways it was almost too brutal. So I'm confused as to where to put it. It made Joker's Revenge, which I rode a month and a half ago, feel like wimpy sloppy garbage in comparison.

2 more to go (Wicked Cyclone and Wildfire), and no plans to get to either of them before 2018 rolls out the new batch!

I can finally update my list a bit!!

1.) Lightning Rod

2.) Outlaw Run

3.) New Texas Giant

4.) Iron Rattler

I'm amazed the LR was finally able to steal my top wooden coaster spot. It had always been nearly impossible to top Outlaw Run!!

I'm also really looking forward to 2018 when I can add:

New Mean Streak

New Hurler

Wonder Woman Golden Shower Coaster

To my list!! I'm wondering how these new coasters are going to shift around my RMC rankings!

I'm having a really tough time with where I would place Lightning Rod. While I think that quad-down is quite possibly the best section of any coaster I've ever ridden, I feel like the rest of the ride, while really really good, doesn't quite live up to other RMC's, and I have to be honest, I think I actually really missed having an inversion on that ride.

Having just ridden Lightning Rod and then Outlaw Run back to back was certainly interesting. While I felt that Lightning Rod may have a better "moment" I actually felt that Outlaw Run packs more into each foot of track than Lightning Rod does.

Basically what it comes down to is this is exactly why I have chosen to not rank or count coasters anymore. I mean, I personally feel that Lightning Rod, Outlaw Run, Wildfire, Medusa, Wicked Cyclone, and Texas Giant are quite possibly some of the best roller coasters I've ever been on.

Why is it important to put one over the other?

^ This is exactly what I do. When someone asks me "What is your favorite coaster?" I am actually unable to answer them. Instead I find myself rattling off a list of like 10 really good coasters that I'd be perfectly happy riding at that moment if I could.

I don't see the point in having to decide which one is better than the other.

Definitely in the minority here with my opinion, ridden two RMCs and here's how I would rank them:

1. Goliath - Loved the height, drop, and speed. The zero g-stall is one of my favorite elements on any rollercoaster. The only negative thing about this ride was that it felt short.

2. Twisted Colossus - I was really hyped for this after hearing so many good things about this ride but unfortunately it did not live up to the expectations. It was a fun ride and had some nice pops of airtime but there was nothing too special about it. I also never got to experience the dueling part since the dispatches weren't timed well.