TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What defunct park intrigues you the most?

Suppose you were given a time machine that could give you one day at any amusement park from the past. Which one would you chose to go to? The decision for me would be very tough. Riverview, Euclid Beach, and Willow Grove would be on the top of my list. However I might also choose one of the Coney Island Parks. Of all the great parks that stand no longer, picking just one would be a struggle. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall a similar message trail on this topic in the past...but for me, being nostalgic from my Youth, it would definitely be Opryland...even though now as an Adult I'm sure I would be disappointed or see it differently...

Euclid Beach Park - closed the year after I was born. Would love to go back and experience the Thriller and Flying Turns.

As for "newer" parks that have closed the list would be Opryland, Australia's Wonderland/Wonderland Sydney and Astroworld.

Opryland

I had known about it for so long. And never got over to visit.

I think I still have an old info.flyer for it, somewhere here.

Great thread idea...there's quite a few defunct parks that intrigue me. Most of them are thanks to their close proximity to where I live, but there are also a few exceptions:

-Cascade Park

-Crystal Beach

-Erieview Park

-Idora Park

-Old Elitch Gardens

-Rainbow Gardens

-Roseland Park

-West View Park

-White Swan Park

-Williams Grove

^^I'll go along with that. It would be great to have seen the original Coney parks in their heyday.

I've always been intrigued by the old Freedomland U.S.A. park in New York City's Bronx. It certainly had an interesting layout.

Edited by cfc

Rocky Point in Warwick, Rhode Island.

I've grown up hearing my parent's stories about the park and how much fun it was. Sadly the park closed when I was only two.

It would also be nice to have an amusement park in Rhode Island.

Geauga Lake/SFO/SFWOA

I'd go with this park as well. Wasn't it the largest theme park in the country once SF combined it? Hard to believe that such a huge park is now gone. It would've been fun to visit at the height of its glory.

Hard Rock Park would've been cool to visit as well. It's not often that a completely new park gets built from scratch and some of the rides (Nights in White Satin, Led Zep coaster) looked interesting.

I have to admit I really wish I had the chance to visit Freestyle Music Park. "Time Machine" looks like a decent B&M coaster, and Round About's "Ferris Wheel" lift has always intrigued me.

Opryland USA. Looked like such a nice park with a great variety of rides and entertainment. I often wonder what the park would be like to day if it was still around.

Marshall Hall and Glen Echo are another that come in mind. My dad used to visit both of these parks all the time.

Rocky Point Park in RI, only because it was my childhood. It may not have been much by modern park standards but I loved that place, and some of the happiest days of my life took place there.

If I had to choose only one park then it would be Riverview Park in Chicago. Riverview had so many great looking rides and attractions. Everyone I have talked to who used to go their as kids loved it. It's a shame that one of the worlds most iconic parks is gone forever. Now the closest you can get to going to Riverview is walking on the remaining undeveloped property. You can walk on some of the midways and see some foundations. If you're in Chicago then I would recommend talking that walk. I know it will never happen, but I wish someone would take over the Riverview II project. That would be amazing

Rocky Point, have always heard stories about it but never got to go, but since its closed, they have turned it into a big park and walking section open to the public right on the water and its actually really nice. It's a cool feeling knowing you're standing right where a coaster used to be

Six Flags New Orleans. It felt quite strange driving by an abandoned theme park with big coasters still standing inside. Would love to be able to take a look around in there to see what it is like now.

Crystal Beach, opening day 1927, the day the Cyclone opened. Some unidentified man rode it 67 times in a row that day, so maybe I'll make it yet. Just have to get a few more parts for my TARDIS. Then I'll hit Idora on my way home.