Coasting for Kids 2017--Be Part of Team TPR!

Fundraising event returns this fall!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Coasting for Kids 2015 - Be part of Team TPR!!

Postby gromithere » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

So, yeah I realize I am a weeeeee bit late. But hey, it's only been 10 days. ;) Figured I'd give a brief trip report on Coasting for Kids from California's Great America! Here goes...

My friend/co-rider and I arrived at the park around 8:45 (for 9am check-in) to see several other CFK participants waiting outside the parking lot gates ready to go in. They didn't let us in until around 9:15 or so, but that still gave everyone plenty of time for check-in for the 10:00 start. We were greeted by Roger Ross, CGA's awesome PR person who has been great to us each of the past several years during CFK!

10am hit, and Roger gave us a brief rundown of how things would be running for the day. As it has been the past couple of years, we were split in to two groups, with one group starting off on Flight Deck and the other starting off on Demon...and then switch after lunch. My friend and I chose FD, since we had a sneaking suspicion we would have a headache after a couple of rides on Demon. But before that, we were ushered to Gold Striker for the first two laps of the day. That has been a nice bonus start to the Coasting for Kids day each year since Gold Striker was built. (it was an awesome ride as always)

Procedure for us was the normal 2 rides on/1 ride off, although the Flight Deck crew had a bit of a rough time getting in to a groove with us at first, so sometimes we missed a lap. Operations were a bit slow, so instead of the normal 40 laps we get in during this event, we only got in 20, and even those who stayed on the entire time got a max of 25 laps. Overall, the crew was friendly, and they were trying their hardest...no complaints whatsoever. My friend and I decided after our 20 lap bathroom break to make our way towards the lunch area since we knew we weren't going to get many more laps in.

Lunch was served at Maggie Brown's (We were very excited when we heard this first thing in the morning...perhaps that is why were anxious to head over early. ;) Award ceremonies were held for top fundraisers. Two of the top 3 were Team TPR members. As always, Chase raised a crazy amount and made our team look good. Go Chase! Upon chatting with everyone during lunch, it turned out that the majority of the other half (including Chase) did an amazing 37 laps on the Demon. I feel bad for their heads that night.

Here is where I have to admit that our group had quite a bit less stamina than the morning group on Demon, because after lunch we had to get off after just two laps. I wasn't feeling like heading home with brain damage that day. Fortunately CGA had provided us with Flash Passes for the day, so we were able to get in a bit of everything else, as well as enjoy the Aerial Ice Extreme show (always fun no matter how many times you see it).

Overall an awesome day and lots of money raised for the cause!

Waiting to get in the lot!

The early Flight Deck crew. 3/4 of Team TPR for the day in row 26.

Neeeeeeeerds!

some Gold Striker nerdiness on the way to lunch.

Maggie Brown's yummy goodness sent from heaven.

Chase receiving his award for top fundraiser!

Team TPR!

One of our two rides on Demon. I'm disappointed in myself for not trying at least 5. :( ...but ouch.

I take my bumper cars seriously.

Horrible quality pic of Aerial Ice.

And some funnel cake to end the day.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Don't make any plans for this in 2016, it ain't happening.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:51 pm

chadster wrote:Don't make any plans for this in 2016, it ain't happening.

Do you have any info to back this up?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Here is the email that is going around. While it's true that "Coasting For Kids" isn't happening this year, that doesn't mean there might not be another GKTW driven charity event at parks. Like the email says "Stay Tuned." So I just want to squash any rumors that C4K is totally "dead" but it may come back under another format.

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 14.59.53.png

For those of you who don't know, Cedar Fair is now working with another charity so that means some changes for the event with Give Kids The World. Anyway, stay tuned... ;)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:03 pm

^ okay :( i'll patiently wait.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:07 pm

I can confirm after hearing from several folks that this is indeed true, and it looks like Coasting for Kids, as we've come to know and love here, will no longer be happening. It sounds like plans are being worked on by GKTW to look for an alternative, so here's hoping they have success in that regard. I have not been shy on here with expressing my AVID support of the Give Kids The World organization as a whole, and this event in particular. This event/cause has become a passion of mine, and that was one reason why I was thrilled to help organize Team TPR's efforts over the last couple years. You should all be SO PROUD of the amazing work you've all done in helping us as a team raise so much money for this exceptional cause! Do not discount how much of a direct impact you've had on the lives of these children who truly need and deserve what GKTW offers considering what so many of them are going through.

I don't want to speculate too much until more details are known, but from what I've heard, this decision was made by Cedar Fair. If that's the case, then I truly do not understand the move and decision, and it is disappointing to me to say the least. Perhaps I shouldn't feel that way, I dunno. But, for my 2 cents, I feel like it is a pretty crappy decision by Cedar Fair to move away from hosting this event, imho. And this has nothing to do with just getting to ride a lot while participating. For me, this has to do with the impact we were helping to make for a cause that needed it. To me, it just doesn't feel right for Cedar Fair to (on the surface anyway) just turn away from this cause after 7 years of making a positive impact. Why wouldn't you, on simplest terms, want the good PR from continuing to support such a cause?? I just don't understand it.

In any case, THANK YOU again to all those who have participated for Team TPR in support of GKTW and their mission! You are all wonderful! I will certainly continue to advocate for and support Give Kids The World for all the incredible things they do, and I'd welcome you all to do the same!! :)

EDIT: I see Robb posted in before my post went up, so there's all the confirmation you need! I'm hopeful he is right and another version of Coasting for Kids happens in the not too distant future! =)
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Bummer, I only did this last year and it was not only fun riding all day but I honestly enjoyed the fundraising too. Was looking forward to doing it again. :/

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 pm

boldikus wrote:Was looking forward to doing it again. :/

And I'm sure you will again! Read into what I posted above...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I wish GKTW all the best in coming up with an alternative to this event. This is one event I looked forward to every year. The fundraising, the riding with friends, to meeting wish families at the park, and hearing their stories. Everything together made this event what it was.

But I do hope that GKTW gets to work something out. I just feel bad for the fact that the amount of $ that GKTW won't be getting (directly from this type of event). I mean TeamTPR over the years have donated amazing amounts of $ to this cause, and to potentially not have that, makes me a little sad.

Thank you GKTW for a great event, and I look forward to what you come up with. :)

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm

robbalvey wrote:
boldikus wrote:Was looking forward to doing it again. :/

And I'm sure you will again! Read into what I posted above...

:nina: Thanks, Robb.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!