TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accommodating Restraints - and unaccommodating restraints

I guess that with my relatively short stature, it seems to be a major source of annoyance for many things in life, but when it comes to coasting, it makes it pretty ideal. I've never had an issue with any restraint really. Other than standard headbanging, and issues that everyone else gets.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had to take the "walk of shame" on any coaster (though I did on one flat ride and almost did on another) but I do recall a few that had the potential to be "close". I am 5'3" and about 30lbs heavier than I should be, and in my case roughly 90% of that excess is below the waist, as is the case with many women. On Millennium Force, Skyrush and S:ROS (SFA) I don't think I've ever had more than about 1.5" of excess belt; and sometimes almost nothing, depending on what seat I was in on which coaster. So for anyone with large hips/thighs, some of these Intamin coasters can be quite unforgiving. On MF one time I had to kind of shuffle around in the seat to get the belt closed.....and unlike a big belly, it isn't something you can just lift up out of the way of the belt/restraint. I remember seeing people with very large bellies have less trouble on those rides than I did simply because they had small, slim hips and legs.

Other than that, I've not had any issues on any other coaster due to my hip girth. The only size problem (and unlike my weight I have no control over my height) that makes many coasters uncomfortable for me is that being 5'3" puts my head and ears right in the prime bash zone for many OTSRs. But other than avoiding those coasters and being glad that many manufacturers are doing away with those kinds of restraints, there is little I can do.

As for the flat rides, the one I had to decline was a carousel. It was a little smaller than what would be a typical full-size version (because it was indoors), but it wasn't a kiddie ride either. Again, my hips denied me a ride on that one because it had a seatbelt that I could not get around me. The "almost" was the Claw at Hershey - this time not because of my hips but my chest. I was able to ride, but only after I tried another seat and once the restraint was closed, I felt that I could barely breathe. Talk about being stapled....I am not sure of the make/model of that particular ride, but I do know that I've not had any problems with other large types of pendulum/frisbee rides like Black Widow at Kennywood and Max-Air at CP. So if you have a barrel chest (or are a women with an ample bust) you might want to avoid that one (and any others like it) all together. Luckily neither the Claw nor the down-sized carousel were of any concern that I could not ride them. If I found I couldn't ride Skyrush, THEN I'd have a problem!

• 1 month later...