Adventureland Long Island!

Turbulence Update on page 3!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Adventureland Long Island!

Postby milst1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:49 pm

I started working as a professor at Farmingdale State College on Long Island nearly a year ago, and I have to admit, the school's proximity to Adventureland was actually a factor in my taking the job. And while I've communicated with park co-owner Paul Gentile via email and telephone to talk shop, I hadn't actually been over the park since August of 2008, when Cheryl, Lauren, our friend Dave, and I went there to get the credits. This made me sad, because during the school year when I bike from my office to the train station in the dark on my way home, Adventureland always cheers me up because their small Ferris wheel is always lit up with LEDs at night, even during the off season. So on a day when Cheryl was on her way to the Bahamas with Lauren, and with very bad traffic back to Queens, I decided to wait it out and kill some time at Adventureland. I was not disappointed, and it was better than I remembered it.
1 copy.jpg
Adventureland is more or less in that circle on the left, and my office is approximately at the end of that arrow. I took this picture while flying in the back seat of a Cessna with a colleague and Cheryl's uncle, who's also a pilot. Farmingdale State College actually has the largest collegiate flight school in the Northeast.
10.jpg
Zierer Tivoli coaster. These kids were really into it!
11.jpg
Some version of a wave swinger.
12.jpg
There is a lot of stuff jammed into a small space. There is one of those scramble-through things for kids.
13.jpg
There are a lot of kiddie rides.
14.jpg
I can't even show them all, it's so packed in.
15.jpg
But still room for little touches along the midway.
16.jpg
My kind of park!
17.jpg
I had already eaten, but there seemed to be plenty of food options.
18.jpg
The train ride took a good 10 minutes, which is amazing given the small size of the park.
19.jpg
They had pictures and relics of old rides along the train route. Lots of Long Islanders have Adventureland memories: The park has been open for 51 years.
2.jpg
Here's the 12-armed Ferris Wheel that I see at night. I think it's a Zamperla.
20.jpg
The train ride was surprisingly serene too, given that you're surrounded by exburban sprawl.
21.jpg
Good haunt stuff on the train route too. The owner told me that they were getting very pumped up for their Halloween event.
22.jpg
My 4 remaining tickets were for the dark ride, and I was surprised to see that the old dark ride was gone and had been replaced...
23.jpg
...by this! It's called Geister-Rikscha (Phantom Rickshaw). I think it was built by Mack way back when.
24.JPG
I found that information and this earlier picture of the ride from an earlier location at this German ride site:
http://www.ride-index.de/include.php?path=content/content.php&contentid=1466
At least I *think* it's the same ride. I couldn't get a good picture of the whole face of the ride at Adventureland, and it's amazing how tightly they've managed to wedge it in.
25.jpg
All of the rickshaw drivers are hooded! Totally creepy.
26.jpg
It's fun. They've added a ton of props inside.
27.jpg
All in all, it's a small but charming little park with a nice mix of rides packed into a smaller footprint. I had a really nice chat with owner Paul Gentile at the end of my visit. I hope to recruit him as a guest speaker for one of my classes. It's very much a family-owned and -operated kind of place and you can tell that it's a labor of love. Maybe it was because my last park visit had been to pathetic Camden in WV, and this park seemed incredible by comparison, but I left with a really good feeling about Adventureland. It was just good to see a local park that has been treated with a lot of TLC.
28.jpg
Thanks for visiting Adventureland Long Island with me!
3.jpg
Unfortunately I did not run into Alfie the mascot that day.
4.jpg
Hey, it's New York! Adventureland is about an hour from Manhattan, maybe even less without traffic.
5.jpg
The S.D.C. Hurricane.
6a.jpg
Antique cars.
7.jpg
A pirate guarding the flume in the pirate area.
7a.jpg
There's also a pirate ship in the pirate area.
8.jpg
Huss Frisbee.
9.jpg
Musik Express.
Last edited by milst1 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 am.
Shameless Plug! One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2017! 2016! 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Efteling
Next Park: Either SeaWorld San Antonio or Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Final 2017 Park Count: 125
Current 2018 Park Count: 81

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Adventureland Long Island!

Postby larrygator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 pm

On my only visit I was surprised how much they crammed into such a small footprint.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 am

Great photo report! Yay for parks who still have S.D.C. Hurricanes! =)
Favourite Coaster: SkyRush
Other Favourites: Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Blue Streak (CP), Voyage, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Goliath (SFGAm), Storm Runner, Raptor (CP), and Magnum XL-200

KD's Shockwave>KD's Delirium

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

May the force of Hello Kitty be with you

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Parallax » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 pm

It's weird seeing a thread for this park. I live about 25 minutes away and used to go there all the time. Still go every once in a while, but now that I can commute to Great Adventure I tend to not go to Adventureland.
The greatest threat the Corps ever faced was Parallax, an entity that fed on the yellow energy of fear.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:04 pm

The rickshaw ride looks pretty cool.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Great report! I still need to get up there some day, hopefully next year.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am

Small parks like this have a lot of charm. Love the report.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:09 pm

You don't often get to see trip reports or even hear about the small parks, so that's why this site was set up to give these parks the exposers they really need. You never know what type of obscured ride may be found in parks like this, or a one-of-its-kind attraction that no one else has.

Great Photo Trip report, but the way. We need more photo trip reports on small parks; you may have that rare ride that might encourage a rider and amusement park flyer to go there and ride it!

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!" :airtime: :airtimer:

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for the love, everyone!

I'm personally not a huge fan of Hurricanes, but whoever loves them should go take a spin! It's definitely a park that's worth a visit.

I know that I'm going to try to take more advantage of a great park that's right across the street!
Shameless Plug! One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2017! 2016! 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Efteling
Next Park: Either SeaWorld San Antonio or Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Final 2017 Park Count: 125
Current 2018 Park Count: 81

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:07 am

Best thing in the Huss catalog! ;)

Thanks for sharing.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!