Genting Theme Park refurbishment (FOX studio theme park)

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Genting Theme Park refurbishment (FOX studio theme park)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Cool, thanks for the explanation. That's really interesting.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:55 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Do they own it though? They didn't buy all of Fox, just the movie studios. Everything else is still owned by Newscorp.

According to Wikipedia Genting is owned by 'Resort World by Genting Group' and Fox World in Dubai is owned by Al Ahli Holding Group. Both parks are only licensing the Fox name, though those agreements are now pending. So Disney does not own those parks. I suspect Disney will allow the agreements to stand however because Disney likes money and those parks aren't going to be a threat to the Disney parks.

As for the Disney deal, Fox is keeping the physical 50-acre movie studio plus Fox News, Fox Business, Fox Desportes, BigTen Network, Fox Sports 1&2 and Fox Broadcasting (the network TV channels). Everything else goes to Disney.

Now when they say Disney is getting the film and televison studios what they mean is Disney is getting the rights to the studio names: 20th Century Fox, Fox TV, Fox Animation, Fox Searchlight Pictures, FX, NatGeo, Blue Sky Studios, etc. and by extension the rights to everything ever produced by them. So essentially Disney is getting the entirety of the Fox film and TV catalog (unless it was produced by one of the news channels), which includes the rights to 'Star Wars A New Hope' (something Lucasfilm never had) and every Marvel character except those owned by Sony ie Spider-man (I wonder how that will affect Islands of Adventure), plus the Simpsons (I wonder how that will affect Universal) and the Ice Age films. And they gained Fox's 30% share in Hulu, so now Disney owns 60% of Hulu.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 pm

I seriously doubt any agreement to use IP at a park being physically constructed is "pending": unless the parties involved were grossly incompetent the agreement is signed and delivered. The fact that Marvel is still at IOA (and will be indefinitely) should be enough to show people that these agreements can't simply be torn up by Disney at a moment's notice too.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm

DirkFunk wrote:I seriously doubt any agreement to use IP at a park being physically constructed is "pending": unless the parties involved were grossly incompetent the agreement is signed and delivered. The fact that Marvel is still at IOA (and will be indefinitely) should be enough to show people that these agreements can't simply be torn up by Disney at a moment's notice too.

This is absolutely true. Case in point: The Marvel deal at IMG was done before Disney bought Marvel. And yes, Disney DID review everything and want some sign offs on quality of what went into that park after the fact, but deal was done, contracts signed, and Disney respected that.

Now, that being said, I have worked on many video game projects that were licensed IPs where there was so much corporate political nonsense that the contracts didn't even get signed until the game was almost finished, so in the case that maybe the ink is NOT on the paper, that would be a huge issue, but I'm going to make the assumption that isn't the case here.
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm.

Postby WestCoasterKing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 am

DirkFunk wrote:I seriously doubt any agreement to use IP at a park being physically constructed is "pending".

I agree. I was just quoting what was listed on the Wiki page. Then again Wikipedia is about as reliable as the Dippon' Dots guy sometimes.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 am

robbalvey wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:I seriously doubt any agreement to use IP at a park being physically constructed is "pending": unless the parties involved were grossly incompetent the agreement is signed and delivered. The fact that Marvel is still at IOA (and will be indefinitely) should be enough to show people that these agreements can't simply be torn up by Disney at a moment's notice too.

This is absolutely true. Case in point: The Marvel deal at IMG was done before Disney bought Marvel. And yes, Disney DID review everything and want some sign offs on quality of what went into that park after the fact, but deal was done, contracts signed, and Disney respected that.

Now, that being said, I have worked on many video game projects that were licensed IPs where there was so much corporate political nonsense that the contracts didn't even get signed until the game was almost finished, so in the case that maybe the ink is NOT on the paper, that would be a huge issue, but I'm going to make the assumption that isn't the case here.

Ok cool, so we're thinking the likeliest outcome is that Disney goes to Genting and says, "Hey, make all this stuff look good," and otherwise they just sit back and as long as the royalty payments clear, they just leave it be?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby cookiex » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:30 am

Is the park still set for a 2018 opening? The Disney/Fox deal will need to go through government approval (which would take 12 to 18 months) so Disney may not have a say on Resorts World's plans until the acquisition is complete, at which point the park would already be finished and open.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Postby WestCoasterKing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Ok cool, so we're thinking the likeliest outcome is that Disney goes to Genting and says, "Hey, make all this stuff look good," and otherwise they just sit back and as long as the royalty payments clear, they just leave it be?

This is what I'm thinking. Disney would be dumb to say no to free money.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm

The Sons Of Anarchy racing coaster is starting to look quite strange. It appears the track will have a fake road surface over the top of the track. Similar to the Chinese built thing at Visionland or in a way Test Track.

Fox.jpg

Fox2.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BduB0tjHG4y/

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!