TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Anyone heard anything about this park. It's being developed in the woodlands area north of Houston, TX. I just stumbled upon it on an Astroworld fan site sixflagshouston.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3488.

They have a facebook page:

www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Texas-Theme-Park/278986002170081

And a website:

grandtx.com/

There is also an interesting YouTube video released about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCgi1Fi7Lo

Edited by larrygator

Here is an article from 3 years ago. Doesn't look like they made their April 2010 opening date. Must not have had many people invest $200,000 for 1 share

The website requires a log in with no way to register! WTF?

Article

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Grand Texas Theme Park in Tomball: Bringing Some of that Texas Frontier Spirit to Texas

A California real estate agent who relocated to The Woodlands 5 years ago has plans to build a “Texas”-themed theme park on a foreclosed and forested site in Tomball currently zoned as a subdivision. The 100-acre attraction, which developer and EZ Realty broker Monty Galland envisions as “a combination of an adventure park, museum, retail center and agricultural classroom,” will strive to encompass and celebrate “all that is Texas, Texas History and the Old West.” Yesterday he showed abc13 reporter Sonia Azad a few rough sketches from his architect, out of the back of his SUV.

Grand Texas is Galland’s brainchild. “Met with the architect today,” Galland — or maybe somebody updating the project’s Facebook page for him — wrote on June 25th:

Project is moving along NICELY! We got to see the first of several sketches. It’s kind of like seeing your baby’s first ultrasound picture!

Galland tells the Tomball Potpourri he plans to open the first phase of the park at 11598 Holderrieth Rd., between the railroad tracks and FM 2978, by next April. This would include an indoor entertainment center with rock climbing and a mechanical bull, a play area with pony rides and petting zoos, and a “family-friendly” paintball facility. Planned for the following year:

Wild Texas Frontier, an island filled with activities for all ages, including high ropes courses that traverse a river, canoeing, catch & release fishing, and a giant maze; and The Mansion, a reception hall reminiscent of the Texas State Governors Mansion, which can be used for a wedding reception of up to 400 guests or more intimate business functions.

Where’s all the financing going to come from? Best of all: You can invest!

According to the Grand Texas website, the GTProp limited partnership is purchasing the land for $2,350,000; the developers expect the total investment to be between $5 million and $6 million.

That’s where you come in! For a minimum $200,000 investment (okay, maybe $50K for a quarter share), GTProp will pay out “a consistent cash return of 12% per year, paid quarterly for a period of at least 3 years.” Plus:

The investment is FUN, with initial investors in GTProp forever regarded as Founders of Grand Texas. Initial investors will be honored on the Founders Wall in Town Hall with a plaque of appreciation, receive free lifetime access for themselves and family (with some restrictions) to Wild Texas Frontier and Flint Ranch, and enjoy an annual barbecue at Grand Texas once a year, honoring the trailblazers that facilitated Grand Texas, and to commemorate its opening.

Edited by gisco

Found a better link for the website. The site looks almost like a working park except they don't have a location for it yet.

www.grandtexas.net/grandtexasthemepark.html

It's a bit strange that they show a picture of El Toro for their wooden coaster.

This has FAIL written all over it. They have such detail but no money and no land. How can you go into such detail when you don't even know a location or what you have to spend. This is nothing more than a marketing attempt to find investors.

Wow! That video... even this entire plan. This is like the most ambitious project EVER! I can't think of a single American(maybe even international) amusement park that offers hiking, fishing, and horseback riding. All three of those activities in an amusement park can get you VERY EASILY sued by sue happy Americans. Then there's the paintball... cause really who doesn't want to wear three layers of clothing(so it doesn't hurt when you get hit) and then enjoy a nice Texas summer day covered in paint.

Is this honestly real? It felt like a project or something to me...

I finally sat through the whole video. It was pretty painful to watch. It seems like every picture they had shown was from some other park. Might be interesting to see how many parks can be identified in the video.

Jesus. The video... the website... it reeks so badly of unprofessionalism and some man-child's pipedream. Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. and needs a legitimate developer with legitimate investors to come forward with well-thought out plans for an attainable world-class park. This certainly isn't any of those things. Anyone from the games/models forum probably could have put together a better looking video and website!

Lastly, I'll add that the whole kitschy Texas theme seems like it was thought up by someone who wasn't from Texas.

Lastly, I'll add that the whole kitschy Texas theme seems like it was thought up by someone who wasn't from Texas.

You must have never met an Aggie.

Hahaha! Good point!

But seriously, this overly cheesy Texas theming wouldn't resonate well with the majority of people in the Houston area.

^ I agree totally being a native Houstonian. We been trying to shake off the image that we are not a city full of cowboys with horses. We are an international city and home to mission control and the center for manned space flight. Also home to Compaq until HP bought them out.

Even if it's horribly cheesy, we do need a major amusement park in the area. However, anyone planning a new park should really consider converting the old Astrodome into a year round air conditioned park. The heat is over bearing in the summer down here and people would pay just for the air conditioning. Plus it would be pretty much where old Astroworld was. The location is even serviced by Metro light rail.

^^That's an interesting idea that I think was rumored a few years back. It certainly would be neat. I'm not sure what kind of attractions could be fit into there. I'm having visions of a much larger version of the Adventuredome in Vegas.

I really think an outdoor park would be fine in Houston if a page was taken out of SFOT's book and there was heavy utilization of shade, misters, water rides, and places to get inside and beat the heat. Even AstroWorld did a great job of making the heat tolerable with shade structeres and air conditioned queues. Anyway, the cost of even bringing the Astrodome up to code has proven too expensive for anyone to attempt it yet, so it would be an insanely expensive project. It would probably allow for a higher quality product just to start from the ground up on an outdoor park somewhere North of Houston.

• 9 months later...
Just found this link I did an article on proposed theme parks in Houston click here if you like to read it. Grand Texas theme park looks like its on the right pathway. I still won't get my hopes up to high till I see land clearing and buildings going up. Not that it would ever happen but it be crazy if Houston got Earthquest, Grand Texas and the small theme park in Texas City. It's still cool to know Houston might get its theme park one day.

All right, since this topic has piqued my interest, I'll follow and read any news reports on Houston getting their theme park back (For the record, I've been at Astroworld twice). Will a theme park finally emerge from the ashes of Astroworld, or will this be like Jazzland that closed down after Hurricane Katrina and never was reopened. And most importantly -

WILL I GET BURNT AGAIN?

• 1 month later...

If you live in the Houston area, tonight on KPRC Local 2 at 10:00, they will be discussing a new park projected for Houston "with ties to AstroWorld." The teaser showed a brief glance at the park projections, and a tower of some sort and a woodie were shown. I'm guessing this is most likely Playland Park. I'm pretty curious to see what this could be.

If you live in the Houston area, tonight on KPRC Local 2 at 10:00, they will be discussing a new park projected for Houston "with ties to AstroWorld." The teaser showed a brief glance at the park projections, and a tower of some sort and a woodie were shown. I'm guessing this is most likely Playland Park. I'm pretty curious to see what this could be.

That sounds more like Grand Texas Theme Park that has a few of the old managers from Six Flags Astroworld. There supposed to buy the land soon and start bulldozing but we will see.

^Yes! That's the one! That better fits the description. Looks like progress has moved on a little I guess.

EDIT 10:28 CST- The news segment has aired! It is Grand Texas, will be built in phases, and will include a 'Top 10 Wooden Coaster' (Let's pray to the roller coaster gods it's from RMC), and is set to open March 2015. More information will be revealed next month when the land is set to be purchased.

www.click2houston.com/news/Grand-Texas-park-could-finalize-land-purchase-next-month/-/1735978/19643106/-/vhmmftz/-/index.html

The article also has links to the parks Facebook and YouTube pages. Let's hope this actually happens!