TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great Wolf Lodge Development Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Great Wolf Lodge's many properties, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the company's properties as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index.

Official Company Website

Below are some links to past updates from the company, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

October 6th, 2005 - Great Wolf Lodge to sell Cedar Point & Wisconsin Dells properties - SEE BELOW!

March 8th, 2007 - Ohio property sees illnesses reported by guests

January 25th, 2010 - Great Wolf Lodge adding three Proslide Tantrums to properties

March 15th, 2010 - Great Wolf Lodge to break Guinness world record

June 17th, 2010 - Great Wolf Lodge acquires Creative Kingdoms & MagiQuest

June 28th, 2010 - Great Wolf Lodge announces intent to build Garden Grove property

May 11th, 2011 - Great Wolf Lodge switches from Pepsi to Coca-Cola products

March 19th, 2012 - Great Wolf Lodge bought by the Apollo Group

March 19th, 2012 - Law suit seeks to halt company sale to Apollo Group

April 5th, 2012 - KSL Capital Partners offers higher buyout bid than Apollo

April 19th, 2012 - Apollo's bid topped by KSL Capital Partners again, Apollo given 3 days to respond

May 4th, 2012 - Apollo completes acquisition of Great Wolf Lodge Resorts

October 20th, 2013 - New ShadowQuest upgrade announced for MagiQuest!

April 17th, 2018 - Two unique slides coming to Great Wolf Lodge Georgia

Original Post:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbc ... 05004/1004

Great Wolf Resorts Inc. of Madison, Wis., will sell a majority stake in its Great Wolf Lodge indoor waterpark and entertainment complex in Sandusky and a similar property in Wisconsin Dells, Wis.

The company announced that it will form a joint venture with CNL Income Properties Inc., an Orlando, Fla.-based real estate investment trust focused on leisure and lifestyle properties. CNL will acquire a 70% stake in the two properties, while Great Wolf retains 30%.

The $114.5 million deal is expected to close later this year, according to a statement from Great Wolf Resorts. Great Wolf will continue to operate the properties and will license the Great Wolf Lodge brand to the joint venture under 25-year agreements.

John Emery, CEO of Great Wolf Resorts, said in a statement that his company is expected to receive $98.6 million in the deal. It will “recycle (the) investment capital for future growth, enhance the Great Wolf Lodge brand value with extended management and licensing contracts, and partner with a significant, long-term investor in lifestyle real estate.”

The Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky has 271 suites and a 42,000-square-foot indoor entertainment area that features a water park, two 150-seat casual dining restaurants, 6,000 square feet of meeting space, a fitness center, arcade and gift shop. The Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells has 309 suites and a 64,000-square-foot indoor entertainment area.

Great Wolf Resorts, which was formed in 2004 and went public last December. Since its shares hit a 52-week high of $25.88 last March, the company’s stock has sagged markedly. At 1:15 p.m. today, shares were trading for $9.53.

According to Great Wolf Resorts’ most recent quarterly report to the Securities and Exchange Commission, the company had $155 million in long-term debt as of June 30. The company reported second-quarter losses of $2.5 million, or 8 cents per share. It had revenues of $26 million during the second quarter, which ended June 30.

It's kind of a shame they aren't doing better because they look like such NICE resorts!

--Robb

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Wolf isnt really anything special i mean the one in the Dells has a tornado funnel thing but thats it. I mean the Kalahari is SO much better because it is more of a family place, there is something for everyone. The Great Wolf lodge used to be good but then everyone stopped going there because the Wilderness and the Kalahari were so much better. I mean the Great Wolf had no point of going every year because there wasnt much there and it never expanded (exception to the tonado funnel in 2004). Besides that it hasnt added anything new for about 11 years.

I think the competition in the Dells is very tough. You have major competitors in the Kalahari/Wilderness and even others like the Polyensian/Chula Vista and in summer the hotel connenected to Mt Olympus as well as alot of smaller ones that offer good deals for the money. I think they under-estimated how tough ot would be in this marketplace.

The one in Williamsburg seems to do pretty well, but I wonder if this will last once the novelty wears off. The only competing water park is Busch's Water Country USA, but it's a pretty good one.

Winter will tell the tale, I think--tourism is pretty slow around here from January to March.

• 1 year later...

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/11200599/detail.html

MASON, Ohio -- Illnesses reported by guests at an indoor water park may have been caused by chlorine getting into the air after water splashed out of pools and water slides, a county health official said.

Investigators have not conclusively determined why dozens of adults and children who visited the Great Wolf Lodge in southwest Ohio suffered rashes, coughing and other minor respiratory or flu-like symptoms.

The Warren County and state health departments said the agencies have received about five complaints from groups or families since the beginning of the year. The park, which also includes a hotel, opened in December.

Dan Collins, director of environmental health for Warren County, said some of the large amounts of chlorine used by the water park could wind up in the air.

"It's a heated building in an enclosed atmosphere and because of the pools being basically amusement rides, there's a lot of water splashing," he said. "The water is coming out of the pool faster than it would in a still pool, so you end up with all these chlorine compounds in the air."

Among the people who have become ill, one child was taken to an emergency room, and some have received medical treatment on the scene from paramedics or from family doctors after leaving, Collins said.

About 2,000 to 3,000 people are in the park's pools each weekend, he said. No employees have reported feeling ill, he said.

In a statement Wednesday, water park officials said health department tests of their pool water showed nothing unusual and the park would take "all necessary steps" to comply with county and state regulations.

Park managers informed the county health department that the company that installed the park's ventilation system was asked to inspect it, Collins said.

Mason is about 20 miles northeast of Cincinnati.

Do I smell hysterical illness? Seriously, the smell of chlorine makes me sick- I couldn't go into a place like that.

Ditto. When I went to the Resort (I forgot the name) at CP, when I went into the indoor water park, chlorine was the only thing I smelt. Living around pools my entire life, I'm used to it, but seriously, they're all hallucinating.

I've seen this kind of thing before. An old girlfriend of mine was a lifeguard. She told me, and showed me what happens when too much chlorine is added to a pool. Burns do happen and breathing is not easy. In an indoor facility, it can be brutal even if you're not sensitive to it.

I am a swimer. And I have had my share of rashes. This is definately from too mch Chlorine the the pool, then that getting into the atmosphere. Too much isn't going to do much to you, but I would just stay away from the water for a while.

The local news said "around 20" people have reported being ill since the park opened. 20 out of more than 3,000 people isn't a large amount, in fact it's like 0.6%,isn't it? (I don't know math very well, but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me) And that is if all 20 people got sick in one weekend, which didn't happen. This is probably in the 0.05% range or below of people going there who got sick. I don't think it's a big deal. Newspapers and local channels are always trying to find the next big exposé-type story. Don't put too much into it, as everything has been tested and appears to be fine.

-James Dillaman

• 4 weeks later...

For what it is worth, chlorine can create huge medical problems. Chlorine gas is not something to mess with it scars and burns your lungs. There is no process chemical that is more dangerous to more people. It was used in World War I as a biological weapon.

The IDLH (immediately dangerous to life and health) for chlorine gas is not going to be achieved in such a place, but that does not mean someone there isn't hyper sensitive to the stuff. We have people at work that if the Hydrofluoric acid is opened will get skin irritations.

I work with nuclear stuff all day (uranium, thorium, americium, plutonium, etc.) and chlorine scares the ever living crap out of me.

To sum up my rather long and boring post, there might be some legitimacy to the reports, especially because it was chlorine.

For what it is worth, chlorine can create huge medical problems. Chlorine gas is not something to mess with it scars and burns your lungs. There is no process chemical that is more dangerous to more people. It was used in World War I as a biological weapon.

The IDLH (immediately dangerous to life and health) for chlorine gas is not going to be achieved in such a place, but that does not mean someone there isn't hyper sensitive to the stuff. We have people at work that if the Hydrofluoric acid is opened will get skin irritations.

I work with nuclear stuff all day (uranium, thorium, americium, plutonium, etc.) and chlorine scares the ever living crap out of me.

To sum up my rather long and boring post, there might be some legitimacy to the reports, especially because it was chlorine.

Respect the chemicals. Don't fear them.

Respect the chemicals. Don't fear them.

To hell with that, give me good old predictable detectable radiation. Every time I hear that siren at Mallinckrodt I almost wet myself.

It sounds like you've been exposed to a lot more hardcore stuff than I have. They'd never let us college swine work with HF. Still, I've done some organic synthesis using pretty nasty stuff, had pretty nasty acids drip onto my bare arm, and only girls are afraid of chemicals

• 2 years later...

Great Wold Lodge in Mason, Ohio has announced that it will add the Triple Twist in time for Spring Break 2010. This new Proslide Tantrum will be enclosed and will feature nighttime LED lighting to add to the evening experience.

http://www.greatwolf.com/firstfamilymason

Coming this Spring, Great Wolf Lodge Kings Island will introduce our latest thrilling waterslide attraction, The Triple Twist. Prepare yourself for a five-story waterslide featuring a drop into a huge funnel followed by twists and turns and two more funnels. And at night, The Triple Twist takes it up a notch as you are immersed in a full-sensory LED lighting experience. The Triple Twist is the first ride of its kind in the world – don’t miss it!! (Please note that riders must be 42” or accompanied by an adult. We also encourage weak or non-swimmers to wear a lifejacket.)

http://www.greatwolf.com/firstfamilykc

Coming this Spring, Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City will introduce our latest thrilling waterslide attraction, The Triple Twist. Prepare yourself for a five-story waterslide featuring a drop into a huge funnel followed by twists and turns and two more funnels. And at night, The Triple Twist takes it up a notch as you are immersed in a full-sensory LED lighting experience. The Triple Twist is the first ride of its kind in the world – don’t miss it!! (Please note that riders must be 42” or accompanied by an adult. We also encourage weak or non-swimmers to wear a lifejacket.)

http://www.greatwolf.com/firstfamilypoconos

Coming this Spring, Great Wolf Lodge Pocono Mountains will introduce our latest thrilling waterslide attraction, Double Barrel Drop. The only one of its kind in the world, The Double Barrel Drop is true to the name. It all begins with a high speed, six-story adventure that starts with a drop into a huge funnel, a 450 degree turn into a dark vortex tunnel and then a second funnel. This is followed by a 450 degree hairpin turn that shoots you into the second vortex before splashing down. Climb aboard! We double dare you! (Please note that riders must be at least 48” minimum in height)

All three Great Wolf Lodge Resorts are running concurrent sweepstakes to allow guests a first ride on each respective slide this Spring Break.

The Great Wolf Lodge “Official First Family” Sweepstakes seeks fun-filled families to celebrate the launch of our all-new waterslide coming for Spring Break 2010. The winning family will receive:

The opportunity to be the first guests to ride the new waterslide on Grand Opening Day.

The family surname on the new ride.

The family’s photo and commemorative plaque placed in the Grand Lobby of the resort.

One of the hotel suites to be named after the family (with a photo and plaque outside the room).

Two overnight stays in 2010.

The sweepstakes entry form can be found at the address above.

firstfamily-mason.jpg.1af2f1cc02d19e8172219c0422756456.jpg

Mason, Ohio's "The Triple Twist" layout

DB_web_Poco_930x275.jpg.1fb8b9dceb8a1f95512efc71ac70ae48.jpg

firstfamily-pocono.jpg.72a2de0b6fa2f0a29ae311dd2b227908.jpg

Pocono Mountain's "Double Barrel Drop" layout

TT_web_KC_930x275.jpg.d0627ea734dbfd92c556ba1bf0b4a6b9.jpg

firstfamily-kc.jpg.fd48cbcaede10f011c6edbe8250075e7.jpg

Kansas City's "The Triple Twist" layout

TT_web_MASON_930x275.jpg.ce007c173db285b7ea22202f8a6f46ea.jpg