TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

It's almost always girls. After they get on and the train starts moving, and they always start screaming, "I hate you", to whatever friends dragged them on the ride and then they scream, "we're going to die!"

One day I had enough and I couldn't help but blurt from three rows back, "Yes little girl, because while you waited in line you watched all trains come back with a bunch of dead people." To which she said, "Hundreds of people die on roller coasters every year, @hole!" And once again I couldn't stop myself. I blurted back, "If you really believe that then why are you at the damn amusement park!?

Or the time I was waiting on line for the rapids ride at Silverwood and some guy trying to impress this girl said this was the world's only looping water ride. Come on, dude. We are about to actually board the thing. She will discover how full of it you are in about fifteen minutes.

Ugh, GP is do dumb. But alas I used to be one. And there was a time when I dumb things so...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost always girls. After they get on and the train starts moving, and they always start screaming, "I hate you", to whatever friends dragged them on the ride and then they scream, "we're going to die!"

One day I had enough and I couldn't help but blurt from three rows back, "Yes little girl, because while you waited in line you watched all trains come back with a bunch of dead people." To which she said, "Hundreds of people die on roller coasters every year, @hole!" And once again I couldn't stop myself. I blurted back, "If you really believe that then why are you at the damn amusement park!?

Or the time I was waiting on line for the rapids ride at Silverwood and some guy trying to impress this girl said this was the world's only looping water ride. Come on, dude. We are about to actually board the thing. She will discover how full of it you are in about fifteen minutes.

Ugh, GP is do dumb. But alas I used to be one. And there was a time when I dumb things so...

I'm gonna start saying "GP" things while in queues and on rides just to piss off enthusiasts... Also, why did you call a little girl an A-hole? That's some class right there champ...

^She called him an asshole. Read that again.

Meh. Either way, why pick a fight with a stranger?

It's like me flipping out on someone here cause they don't know that the 7-foot Medium Heavy St. Croix Mojo Bass is a Moderate-fast action instead of a Fast action.

Pretty petty and pointless, eh?

I was at Phantasialand, and some really lucky school people from the UK were on a school trip at the park. One comes off Taron and states "That was OK, where did you say the pizza store was?" WHAT!! More obsessed with a pizza rather than a world class rollercoaster some people would die to ride. Some people just do not appreciate the things they get.

I'm gonna start saying "GP" things while in queues and on rides just to piss off enthusiasts...

I had this idea the other day on this same topic. If you're in line for a ride and the person in front of/behind you is showing the telltale signs of being an enthusiast (acts like he knows everything, smells bad, etc.) then you start saying and asking him "GP" things in an attempt to piss him off.

This trick works well on most rides, but it works especially well on El Toro since it's an enthusiast magnet. Also, Six Flags policy says you can't bring your phone in line anymore, so it's a good way to keep from getting bored in line.

Petty? Definitely, but it sounds like a lot of fun if you find the right person.

I say "GP" things to my friends when I bring them on rides for the first time, just to mess with them. On the lift hill, I'll tell them things like, "Did you hear about that guy that died on this ride last year?"

I've never thought about trying it with other enthusiasts. I'll have to try it at WCB.

Like when you forget to add the word, "said," into your last sentence? I won't devote the extra time to the punctuation errors.

I say it in jest, brother. However, I'm really surprised that so many people seem to look down on non-enthusiasts because they aren't walking encyclopedias of coaster knowledge, as if the exact height of Superman - Ride of Steel's lift hill or the number of inversions on a ride is somehow essential in a test of one's overall intelligence. It's kind of Sheldon Cooper-esque to get annoyed by such things, and who is to say in what areas those folks are knowledgeable that the rest of us aren't?

I was at Phantasialand, and some really lucky school people from the UK were on a school trip at the park. One comes off Taron and states "That was OK, where did you say the pizza store was?" WHAT!! More obsessed with a pizza rather than a world class rollercoaster some people would die to ride. Some people just do not appreciate the things they get.
I don't even know where to start with this one. Clearly, if that guest said the ride was okay, Taron wasn't the world-class coaster in his or her eyes that it was in yours. I was also unaware that there was a minimum amount of time one must spend after a roller coaster reflecting upon its greatness to the point where if anything other than the ride is discussed for x number of minutes, one's priorities in life are improperly ordered.

However, I think the better way to respond to this situation is that you need to not get so worked up over something so exceptionally inconsequential.

I think we should start a "Weirdest Things The 'Coaster Enthusiasts' Have Said" thread.

Yeah, I'll start us off. I met a "coaster enthusiast in" line for Wild Eagle last month. He was from Cincinnati and bragged about riding Diamondback before anybody else when he worked for KI. Anyway, I told him I was from San Diego so we started talking about SWSD.

I said "Those Mack trains on Manta are some of the most comfortable trains I've sat on"

To which he replied "You know Manta is Intamin, right?"

I said "I think you're mistaken. Mack's track does look similar to Intamins though, so I get the confusion."

He concluded his thought with "I've been in the industry for 20 years, I know for a fact that Mack designed the ride and Intamin built the track and trains."

Yeah, ok bud.

This reminds me of something I've been wondering for a long time. Why do Intamin, Mack, Zierer and Gerstlaurer track look basically the same? Is it the steel manufacturer like how early Intamins and Giovanola looked like modern B&Ms?

And why do so many of those tracks switch back and forth between the triangular spine and a flat track and even the cross ties will change throughout the ride.

^Stakotra makes the track for those manufacturers except for Mack. Mack builds their own track and their version is very similar except for the shape and direction of the cross ties.

Switching between two, three and four tracks is to be more cost efficient and to make the ride look better. The more tracks there are, the longer span the track piece has. At a lower altitude it's cheaper to build more supports compared to more complex track pieces so the flat two-track style is often used in that case. And then think about the main towers of TTD and Kingda Ka, it would cost a lot to have two-track style tracks because that would require a lot more supports not to mention it would result in an extremely high wind resistance which is very bad for tall structures like those. Four-track style tracks are being used because of that. And now that Intamin has the Y shaped track, 4-track style will most likely to be phased out unless they are building clones.

^ Makes sense. One of the craziest examples is Premier's Sky Rocket at Hershey.

Hersheypark does not and has never had a coaster from Premier. Methinks you are confusing it with Sky Rocket at Kennywood, 3 hours to the west.

^Stakotra makes the track for those manufacturers except for Mack.

Indeed, but Stakotra (or OCEM for Gerstlauer and S&S, or Clermont Steel Fabricators for B&M) makes whatever their client want. It's still Intamin, Zierer, etc. that draw the track and supports.

Now to answer why do they look similar, I think it's because there aren't hundred of different shapes possible, and the prisme came out pretty efficient. Now you can see manufacturers coming up with a different track style, such as Intamin with the Y-shape, or RMC with the single track - but switching to a new track-style means re-doing many many many hours of calculation, stress tests, and re-inventing the fabrication process. So unless you really found another way to do a track and you'll be sure it will cover the costs of creation, you'd better stick with the same formula.

Although if you look closely, you can see differences between each manufacturer. On the Mack track for instance, the ties are squished on their ends.

I think we should start a "Weirdest Things The 'Coaster Enthusiasts' Have Said" thread.

Yeah, I'll start us off. I met a "coaster enthusiast in" line for Wild Eagle last month. He was from Cincinnati and bragged about riding Diamondback before anybody else when he worked for KI. Anyway, I told him I was from San Diego so we started talking about SWSD.

I said "Those Mack trains on Manta are some of the most comfortable trains I've sat on"

To which he replied "You know Manta is Intamin, right?"

I said "I think you're mistaken. Mack's track does look similar to Intamins though, so I get the confusion."

He concluded his thought with "I've been in the industry for 20 years, I know for a fact that Mack designed the ride and Intamin built the track and trains."

Yeah, ok bud.

Many of the things I've read or heard by enthusiasts are truly hilarious. In a way it's funnier than anything the "GP" could say, they just are casual park goers/don't know...the enthusiasts who do know and go on to debate fiercely the ugliness of a specific footer, or if turn 7 is really 2 turns or not etc etc is way worse to me.

I don't even like the term GP but I do have to say, I had a dreadful experience with some true "GPers" recently. 2 days we got to the park, which opens at 9 am, at 1 and 1:30 PM. When there they were super slow, made weird decisions, (like want to rush to get to a ride, bypassing one I wanted to do with a 10 minute wait, we get there with 30 minutes until we can even enter our time period, "now what?" "Oh well lets just go in and wait" they say ) They just didn't really care, didn't care how late (due to slowness and just apathy) how slow they moved, how much time we wasted or what was missed. I get not everyone is crazy like us but we paid a lot of $ for these tickets! How can one just not care if you do like 4 rides? In terms of things said, besides "lets just wait in the building for 30 minutes doing nothing" some others were: "The shoulder restraints on that ride caused me to black out"

Not sure how that's possible but also it was Hollywood RRR it had a lap bar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In line for Skyrush just now, a girl who was next for the front row line was asking the grouper:

Girl: We've been waiting longer than anyone else. Please can I just hop the fence and go to another line?

Grouper: I can't let you hop the fence, but when the gates open next, you can go to any seat you want.

Girl: Really? Can I go to the front?

Someone I work with said something very stupid last. So stupid in fact that I argued with her about it. Anyways, we were talking at work about the Ohio State Fair accident and I made the remark that usually when someone dies at an amusement park, it more than likely is their fault. I used the accident that happened at Worlds of Fun back in the 90s. Told them the story, bout how a girl tried switching seats in the Timberwolf while the coaster was going and ended up falling to her death. I again stated how it was her fault and not the parks, and how that was the only death to ever happen there. Well, this chick, who thinks she knows everything, spoke up. Started spewing lies about how that wasn't the only death there. She started talking about how a kid climbed over a fence and got his head taken off by one if the coasters. This accident happened at Six Flags. Not WoF. Then she goes on to say the girl who died on Timberwolf tried switching seats while the coaster was going upside down. Last I knew it didn't go upside down. Not in the almost 30 years it has been around. It got to the point, to where I just stopped talking to her and let herself look like more of an idiot than what she already is.