Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

P. 19 - Pictures of ride removal
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:13 am

Forget Speed...where will people go for their 6 pound burrito fix???

Yes...just saw that the other night on Man Vs Food! Good God that thing was huge!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 am

Thank you TPR! I was in Vegas this weekend for a college hoops tourney (go Aztecs!) when I saw this news. We cut our time at Circus Circus to grab a few Speed laps.

Ops are on the 15 min schedule, but at least the crew kept everyone informed and counted it down. We waited it out for 3 laps. It's running a bit rougher than our last visit in 2009. Still love the rush of that 2nd launch.

The area is already looking derelict. The entire upstairs section of the NASCAR Cafe is blocked off; most of the racing simulators are out of use. They are discounting; at 12:30 on a spring Sat an all day ride pass was $14, down from $23.

Other Vegas observations: Canyon Blaster at CC is running well. Circus Circus is a dump, but the $12 prime rib was excellent at the Garden Grill. The Stratosphere rides are a unique trip. Insanity is a must do. Desperado is getting rough as heck.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:59 am

I'm so happy I'm going to be in Vegas for three days over Spring Break! I'll get to ride Speed before it closes...
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am

I'm headed up 13-15 April to get my Canyon Blaster Fix- and hopefully get to use my new 'toy' to get some last shots of Speed before it goes to the Soda Can manufacturer...

Shame too- It's one of the better non-Schwarzkopf shuttle coasters out there- and as painful as it could be, it will be missed.

R.D.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby alpengeistfan1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:27 pm

I was going to Vegas this summer on a family trip and looking forward to riding this... but I guess not. Canyon Blaster and New York New York will have to be good enough.
"Thanks cows, I appreciate your tastiness."
- Craig Ferguson

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby Sir Coaster » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:33 pm

alpengeistfan1 wrote:I was going to Vegas this summer on a family trip and looking forward to riding this... but I guess not. Canyon Blaster and New York New York will have to be good enough.

Have fun with the TOGO Death Machine. We'll be hoping you make it out alive! :lol:
Home park: Six Flags Great Adventure Park Count: 23 Coaster Count: 79
Wooden: 15 Steel: 63 Liquid: 1
Favorite Wooden coaster: El Toro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
Favorite Steel coaster: Maverick @ Cedar Point

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm

^OMG I friggin hate that thing. :x
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:45 pm

^^ I rode Manhatten Express, or Roller Coaster, the first time I went to Vegas. I'm glad I rode it only because it is my only Togo credit so far. And, I knew what I was getting into. I braced myself and actually had an ok ride, not worth dishing out the cash for a re-ride though. Get the credit then head to Circus Circus and Stratosphere.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Swiminn6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:50 pm

DougMJr wrote:^^ I rode Manhatten Express, or Roller Coaster, the first time I went to Vegas. I'm glad I rode it only because it is my only Togo credit so far. And, I knew what I was getting into. I braced myself and actually had an ok ride, not worth dishing out the cash for a re-ride though. Get the credit then head to Circus Circus and Stratosphere.

I agree! I was expecting to feel like my bones were about to break but I didn't think it really was THAT bad!

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby SenseOFone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 pm

When I went to Vegas in 2008, Speed wasn't reopened yet :/ Guess I'll never get to experience it.

As luck would have it, the New York New York coaster happened to go down for rehab the very day I was going to ride it. I know it's a TOGO death trap, but a coaster is a coaster right? :P

At least I got to do the Stratosphere rides, the Adventuredome, and the Blue Man group ;)
Formerly Rollerman87

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!