TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

At first I was wondering what looked wrong. Then I realized "Hurricane Harbor." Yeah, it'd make sense, I guess. Notwithstanding, I refuse to feel excited about this Six Flags re-purchase of the Concord water park (whatever they end up calling it,) until they actually invest in something worthwhile that the park didn't already have. Putting in another kids area doesn't sell it for me.

My boyfriend (ABW) and I went to SFDK today and had a great time. We rode all the major rides and were surprised at the super cool shark exhibit they had. There were literally no lines aside from Joker which had a 15-20 minute wait.

Medusa x4

Kong x1

SkyScreamer x1

V2 x1

Joker x2

Wonder Woman x1

Taz x1

Superman x2

Ouch! Superman in the third row hurts! We were happy to leave after that but overall had a great time. Would recommend

My boyfriend (ABW) and I went to SFDK today and had a great time. We rode all the major rides and were surprised at the super cool shark exhibit they had. There were literally no lines aside from Joker which had a 15-20 minute wait.

Medusa x4

Kong x1

SkyScreamer x1

V2 x1

Joker x2

Wonder Woman x1

Taz x1

Superman x2

Ouch! Superman in the third row hurts! We were happy to leave after that but overall had a great time. Would recommend

You might be the first person to ride Kong and decided that something else was more painful. Superman can get a little painful though on your legs depending on how the restraints fit you. For future reference, row 6 is the best on Superman, you get a really nice pop of air when the train whips you over the hill.

I can't remember the last time I rode Kong. The painful memories still keep me away.

Several years ago I accompanied my niece and her friend at SFDK. We enjoyed Medusa and V2. My niece's friend was skeptical of Kong, having read the description somewhere that it was a Hang and Bang. I said I'd ride it with them but otherwise have had my lifetime quota of rides on it. We didn't ride.

I guess it still attracts enough riders to stay standing and / or is cheap to maintain.

I like the design of the replacement at Knotts for their old Boomerang. Perhaps Gerstlauer (or RMC) could design something that could fit in a Hang and Bang footprint, although that might not have sufficient Return on Investment.

I can't remember the last time I rode Kong. The painful memories still keep me away.

Several years ago I accompanied my niece and her friend at SFDK. We enjoyed Medusa and V2. My niece's friend was skeptical of Kong, having read the description somewhere that it was a Hang and Bang. I said I'd ride it with them but otherwise have had my lifetime quota of rides on it. We didn't ride.

I guess it still attracts enough riders to stay standing and / or is cheap to maintain.

I like the design of the replacement at Knotts for their old Boomerang. Perhaps Gerstlauer (or RMC) could design something that could fit in a Hang and Bang footprint, although that might not have sufficient Return on Investment.

They would be better off having Vekoma retrack it like they did with the great Nor'Easter and put the new vest trains on it. Paint it green and call it the killer croc

I'm still trying to comprehend how they were even able to put VR on that ride. The season they did it was the year I didn't get a pass so I never figured out, although I don't think I would ever try VR on that ride. I have earrings now too & flashback to the day when my father got stabbed by his earrings coming off that painful ride.

I guess I've just ridden Kong too much, I have a good bracing technique. Assuming it doesn't have a ridiculous line and one-train op, I still give it a ride every time I visit. Now Boomerang? I just pass by it and laugh.

Side note, but does Wonder Woman make any of you feel nauseous despite having no troubles with other rides? It was more the beginning and end of the ride (when it was spinning a lot and not swinging as much), but both times we rode it, it made my stomach hurt. I've never had a problem with similar rides.

I'm still trying to comprehend how they were even able to put VR on that ride. The season they did it was the year I didn't get a pass so I never figured out, although I don't think I would ever try VR on that ride. I have earrings now too & flashback to the day when my father got stabbed by his earrings coming off that painful ride.

It actually wasn't too bad. It had been years since I'd ridden it, but they did a little reprofiling in the middle and adjusted the restraints, and those both helped. I found especially towards the front with the VR I felt fine (relatively). Back was still not great, but not a nauseating as I expected.

Side note, but does Wonder Woman make any of you feel nauseous despite having no troubles with other rides? It was more the beginning and end of the ride (when it was spinning a lot and not swinging as much), but both times we rode it, it made my stomach hurt. I've never had a problem with similar rides.

Definitely. While it's spinning low towards the ground and moving slowly it definitely makes me feel queasy. It's kind of a problem because it takes awhile for it to slow down and stop at the end, so I'll be enjoying it in the middle of the ride, then while it's slowing down decide I'd really like to get off

Oh man it was just as horrible as I expected it to be. The only way Kong is bearable for me now is because I can see the track ahead and turn my head accordingly to avoid head banging, but being effectively blindfolded I was just tossed around like a rag doll. It sucked. First time was the last time with that VR.

I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

No news here. But how was your visit? Was Superman open?

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.

I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.

Off season I suppose.

My visit was great! Superman was unfortunately closed for annual maintenance. My rides were as follows...

The Joker - x2

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth

v2: Vertical Velocity

Kong

Medusa

Daredevil Chaos Coaster

Boomerang

I entered the park at opening...memo to members: all the lines at the entrance take memberships. I walked straight over to The Joker and basically walked on (two train wait). Operations were good, although the ride operator seemed slightly less than excited that we were all there. Nevertheless, I got seated in the front row and really enjoyed the ride. The Joker is absolutely in my top 10 coasters. I loved how convoluted the layout was and the airtime pops were awesome. (10/10)

After the Joker, I west straight to v2, which was walk on. I rode in the front row on this as well. Good ride, although not as good as it’s sister in Chicago. (7/10)

I decided to round out the superhero area and get a ride in on Wonder Woman. Since my home park is SFOT, I had already ridden a giant discovery, but I enjoy these rides so much. SFDK definitely has a winner on its hands (9/10)

This is the part of the day when I started making stupid choices. I decided that, having never ridden a Vekoma SLC, I should give Kong a try. It was walk on, and for good reason. It was only slightly less rough than X2...and that’s saying something, and unfortunately, not very thrilling. I’d hope Six Flags is investigating options to revamp or replace this coaster. (2/10)

After Kong, I headed straight over to Medusa. Despite being in desperate need of a new paint job, the ride is fantastic. I was also pleasantly surprised at how quiet the ride was. I had to skip a second ride, but the coaster was solid. (6/10)

After Medusa, I decided to be super stupid and try the Daredevil Chaos Coaster. Not my cup of tea, just leave it there. (4/10)

I took off immediately for boomerang, walked on and immediately regretted my decision. I’ve gotten to old for Boomerangs (2/10)

I got another ride on the Joker before heading out. All in all, a great day!

Went on superbowl sunday as well. Sign outside superman did say it was closed down for it's annual maintenance. also didn't realize they tore down The Oasis Club bar/snack bar by V2. With how much land is cleared there I suspect that's where Harly Quinn will go.

anyways finally went on Wonder Woman and yeah, that ride is terrifying from the highest perspective and swinging towards the ground but it was incredibly smooth. Felt a bit sick from the minor swinging and rotation when it was settling back down at the station. Clearing the full height of superman was a bit crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a new sit down restaurant is rumored to be taking the place of the old snack bar that was just torn down! I am thinking it'll be an Ace O Clubs like the one at Magic Mountain. Harley Quinn construction starts this week according to some people at the park!!

That's the one down side of year round parks. You have to plan around ride maintenance closures. With seasonal parks you really only have to worry about a ride breaking down.

With seasonal parks, you have to plan around THE ENTIRE PARK BEING CLOSED. I'm not understanding how you think that having one or two rides closed is worse than not being able to go at all.

Planning around the entire park being closed is easy. You know when you can't go. With year round parks you have to plan carefully around ride closures. I won't visit a park if even ride I like is down. Considering I'm from out of state and making a trip is a big deal, you want everything open.

giphy.gif

That's the one down side of year round parks. You have to plan around ride maintenance closures. With seasonal parks you really only have to worry about a ride breaking down.

With seasonal parks, you have to plan around THE ENTIRE PARK BEING CLOSED. I'm not understanding how you think that having one or two rides closed is worse than not being able to go at all.

Also, I like that there might be a new restaurant opening. They could use another indoor dining venue + something besides just snacks especially if they want to sell more Dining Passes. There are already plenty of snack bars around the park. Only bummer is I usually went to that one (if it's the one I'm thinking of) for free water and occasionally margaritas in between Joker riding. Now I'll have to walk like 200 feet further to the one by the Penguins, ooh boy (unless the restaurant can take care of those needs, + beer, then it's win-win).

Planning around the entire park being closed is easy. You know when you can't go. With year round parks you have to plan carefully around ride closures. I won't visit a park if even ride I like is down. Considering I'm from out of state and making a trip is a big deal, you want everything open.

I agree with this, I went to Busch Gardens Tampa in October 2016 and got very lucky with all the rides being open. I would have been disappointed if i went and one of the Beemers were down because who knows when I'll get to go back.