Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 612 - Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 am

Fire2box wrote: Also I noticed they added a bald eagle encloser and bob cat while all the elephants and their signage are gone. Wonder what they'll do with the elephant space now.

They've had the eagle and bobcat for a while now, they just aren't always out.

Love the before and after pictures! And laqueefa, your pipe dream is great. They sometimes use that area for overflow parking, but isn't it also used for the fair? I've never been to SFDK during the fair in question, so I don't really know what they use and don't use.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm

boldikus wrote:Thought this was cool and worth a share. NewsPlusNotes posted these aerial/google shots of a before/after of the Joker/Superman/Wonder Woman area. Pretty cool to see it from above. They really squeezed WW in there.

They really did shoe horn WW in!! From the aerial shot, looks like they'll also be squeezing Harley Quinn into that tiny area between Superman and the Go Karts. V2's spot also looks RIPE for an S&S 4D, maybe 2019?
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm

laqueefa wrote:That's pretty cool. I've been looking at the satellite pics of the area and wish they could acquire the land across the way (along with the hotel). They could build a pedestrian bridge over Fairgrounds drive. Hell, throw a gondola lift/skyway system for convenience too. Or maybe use that land to build a parking structure, and expand the park there. Just wishful thinking.

They've tried. Land is owned by Solano County, not city of Vallejo. While Vallejo would be for it, Solano County isn't interested in losing their fairgrounds.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
Fire2box wrote: Also I noticed they added a bald eagle encloser and bob cat while all the elephants and their signage are gone. Wonder what they'll do with the elephant space now.

Love the before and after pictures! And laqueefa, your pipe dream is great. They sometimes use that area for overflow parking, but isn't it also used for the fair? I've never been to SFDK during the fair in question, so I don't really know what they use and don't use.

I've known they had the eagle back in at least 2014. Just surprised they made new enclosures for it, no idea when the park got a bobcat though I just thought they only had the cougar('s). I'll be interested to see if anything happens in that area of the park or if they are just going to turn it into a lowkey zoo.

Also that monkey madness or whatever it's called. I'm kinda sad that it's more fun then Pacific Rim. I did love the line and pre-show of Pacific Rim though and I still think bringing back Dinosphere would be best.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 am

Fire2box wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:

I've known they had the eagle back in at least 2014. Just surprised they made new enclosures for it, no idea when the park got a bobcat though I just thought they only had the cougar('s). I'll be interested to see if anything happens in that area of the park or if they are just going to turn it into a lowkey zoo.

I might be mistaken about the bobcat, I seem to remember seeing one at some point at SFDK but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in one of the shows and now it's viewable at other times too?

I don't know what you mean by eagle enclosure. They have had an open air area where the eagle is tethered to a branch and employees are there to answer questions about it.

That area has been a "low-key zoo" since before there were coasters. Hopefully it will stay that way for some time. I frequently chat with employees about how likely they are to acquire new animals and whatnot. At this point, it just depends on if there are rescue animals that the state deems "unreleasable" and decides to send to SFDK. I guess it happens for them every so often.

Also, I don't think it was mentioned here at all, but one of the walruses, Siku, died recently. That leaves SFDK with only one. If history repeats, SFDK will be forced to send that one away because it can't be alone. It's very sad. I love checking out the walruses every time I visit the park.
IMG_2663.JPG
The last remaining walrus, Uquq
I have a nice picture of the two walruses playing with someone else's kids, but I thought not to post it without permission.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby alilstronger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

Planning a trip to Cali next year for both SF's and both CF parks. I know MM is open every day next year. Anyone know of about when this park opens daily/during the week? The calendar on their website won't let me go back through out the year.

Thank you!
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby Fire2box » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:48 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
Fire2box wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:

I might be mistaken about the bobcat, I seem to remember seeing one at some point at SFDK but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in one of the shows and now it's viewable at other times too?

I don't know what you mean by eagle enclosure. They have had an open air area where the eagle is tethered to a branch and employees are there to answer questions about it.

There's a new eagle enclosure right next to the bobcat's. It's directly behind where they used to do the elephant show, the park was also doing some animal showcase in the elephant show spot last Saturday. I'll get a picture of the place next time I visit.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 am

On a side note, I got an e-mail that there is a new maze at Fright Fest this year, bringing their grand total to 4.

ST. HADES HOSPITAL
Welcome to St. Hades Hospital, a once-pleasant place to be treated, but after a patient suffered a fever and rash that spread like wild fire, the hospital was closed for good out of fear. The doors have opened slightly. But it's been 40 years. Dare to enter this quarantined and haunted facility?

Also a new show:
STEVE DALY'S HYPNOSIS LIVE
Is it a trick or trance? A hypnotist with a peculiar sense of humor? Of course! While under his trance, your world and his will not mesh, to the delight of a spellbound audience.

I feel like I was the only one who cared/went to this when I was in the area, LOL, but if anyone else cares, here's the Fright Fest link.

Postby Fire2box » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Unless they bring back slaughterhouse pig farms at the action theater I don't really have a interest in paying even more money for attraction passes. I get inflation and all that but the boathouse one has always been meh when I've done it, the shark experience one is alright but really because it's damn near pitch black at times.

The scares in them just don't do it for me. But the scares at pig farms was always the best and generally seemed to have the most dedicated actors.

Also found this in the FAQ of the parks fright fest page. I'm getting mixed messages about garlic here. :p

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby gromithere » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Can anyone give me info on how much they charge for the haunts? Prices apparently aren't available on the website yet. Trying to gather info for a group of friends who all want to go, and of course they assumed I would know. :-/ Trying to remember what they charged last year to at least have an idea!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!