TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sesame Place Discussion Thread

Even scarier the original waterslides near the flats are not even close to kid friendly.

typical 70s craziness. I loved them. My five year was shaking after.

Those water slides looked really unassuming. It's a shame I missed them.

They aren't that crazy compared to large park so don't feel too bad.

But they have old school deep splash pools so no matter what you going flying under the water. Pretty scary for younger kids and shocking for a park geared those under the age of 7. There is a Elmo flat ride literally three feet away.

It's more a surreal reminder of the way park used to be built.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I swung through Sesame Place early on Sunday since I was in the area and have a SW Platinum Pass. Holy crap is Oscar's Wacky Taxi awesome. I was completely blown away that a ride with a 40" height requirement has that much solid airtime. By my count, you get 11 pops of air, pretty much wherever you sit (the back gets air over the first drop, while the front gets air entering the brake run, so it evens out). I was able to ride it a good number of times in a couple of hours since the rain kept a lot of the crowds away first thing. I don't think I waited more than 10mins. Is there a better coaster out there with this low of a height requirement? Also, I know capacity would be an issue at a lot of places, but every park that tries to cater to younger kids needs a coaster like this. It was simply brilliant. And not just brilliant for a kids' ride; I'd happily marathon it.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd check in with a quick report from a Saturday visit to the park with the wife, the two kids, and our married friends who brought their son and goddaughter. The Halloween festivities are in full swing, which in this park means instead of haunted houses and fright trails, you get all the Sesame Street characters in costumes and trick-or-treating in the otherwise-closed-down waterslides half of the park. A fair trade for the younger set.

After leaving NYC around 8 in the morning, we were a bit worried that we were going to run into a washout as it was raining the entire trip down. When we arrived in Langhorne and parked our car, we double checked the weather once more to find that they were only calling for another half hour of rain and then clear skies for rest of the day. Perfect! Our friends joined us soon after and we were in the park by 10:30, armed with a set of pre-paid-for Abby's Unlimited Magic Queue wristbands. Since we had done a Halloween visit last year, we knew that the park got crowded and the Magic Queue sold out, often resulting in stupid long lines for all the low-capacity flat rides. With the dreary skies in the morning, this was looking like it might be a waste of cash as we wandered around a mostly empty park.

First things first; we made a beeline over to Oscar's Wacky Taxi to get it out of the way, since this and the other coaster are far away from pretty much every other attraction in the park. On top of that, this is the only major ride to NOT be included in the Unlimited Magic Queue. If you really want to skip the line, you can purchase individual skips at $9 per person. :/

I know I've talked in the past about how famously my wife is NOT a fan of roller coasters. On our last visit, she tried both of the Sesame Place offerings, despised Vapor Trail... yet absolutely fell in love with the Wacky Taxi. She's not entirely sure of the reason for it, but between the relatively low height, high walls on the sides of the trains, comfortable restraints, and short-ish ride length, this ended up being the first coaster she ever voluntarily rode a second time in a row. Even with Today was no exception, as we all walked up into an empty station, took over four rows, and made our way through the course. Lots of giggling and screams from the kids, and howls of joy from the adults. Once again, we got a re-ride thanks to the non-existent lines, and this time my wife shocked us all when she announced she'd ride on her own (our eighth member of the group was sitting out the rides today due to an extreme case of bun in the oven). We're gonna turn her into a coaster fan yet! Looking for advice on what to put her on next since she enjoys this one so much -- any thoughts, gang?

After our pair of rides on the Taxi, we made our way to the main section of the park and got a ride on their Sunny Day Carousel, which ran a shockingly long cycle for a merry-go-round these days. Once we got off, everyone was starting to feel some stomach rumblings for lunch, so we made our way over towards Elmo's Eatery, billed as a "sit-down restaurant with table service". Actually, what they end up doing is you place your order at a register, then they hand you one of those vibrating drink coaster type things, and once it buzzes you make your way over to another counter to pick your food up. Not quite table service but honestly better than most of the alternatives here. Food was okay but nothing too amazing -- the orange chicken with rice was surprisingly not terrible.

Our next item on the docket was to try to see at least one show. We decided to check out the "Elmo: The Musical" stage show right next door. The theater was really tiny, with barely more than a few cubic feet of stage space amongst the bleacher stadium seating, yet they made the most of that limited space. Since it's the Halloween season, the show was all about Elmo making up a musical about trick-or-treating, but he ended up focusing on the tricks part and imagining himself as a magician-in-training. Cue a talking bunny, a cameo from Sesame Street's favorite manic pixie fairy girl Abby Cadabby, the great chicken magician David Cluckerfield, and a whole lot of audience participation. It ended up being a whole lot of fun for the whole family, children and grown-ups alike (even yours truly who's had seven years of Elmo saturation at this point), and I'd not mind seeing more of these in future visits!

Of course, after we finished this stage show, we got to the real reason for the trip (and the wristbands); back to the rides! Sun had started peeking out from behind the clouds, and with it came the crowd levels we were expecting. As it's a park catering to small children, there are gratefully low height requirements on almost everything. The one outlier is the amusingly named "Honker Dinger Derby", which is an Orbiter painted in pastel neon colors. This ride has a 42" minimum, and as such, ended up being the only thing the 3-year-old girls couldn't ride at 41" tall. My friend's son and I ended up being the sole members of our group to give it a try, and after experiencing the weak speed and short cycle of the similar Flying Machine at BGW, I wasn't expecting too much out of this. I was woefully unprepared for it to pack as much of a punch as it did. Much longer cycle, much faster speed. No wonder it's a 42" minimum!

The rest of us got our rides in on everything else that was included on the Unlimited Magic Queue, which included:

- Flying Cookie Jars, a spinning balloon tower ride that gave a great view of Vapor Trail -- when we weren't furiously spinning out of control!

- Oscar's Rusty Rockets, a suspended whip-like ride that kept the speed low but upped the intensity with pumping euro-trance music. Not sure what that had to do with anything but it got the kids dancing in their seats!

- Captain Cookie's High C's Adventure, similar to the Jolly Roger ride at Great Adventure but instead of the creepy skull theme it's all brightly colored pirate ships that you sit in as you go around an undulating track.

- Monster Mix-Up, the obligatory tea cup ride, instantly made better than all the rest by the inclusion of a mirror ball and "Disco Inferno" soundtrack. Groovy!

- Blast Off!, a bouncy drop tower ride. My daughter LOVES these rides no matter where she goes.

- Flyin' Fish, the Sesame version of the Flying Elephants. Instead of Dumbo, each car is shaped like Elmo imagining himself as a different type of animal-fish. Catfish, dogfish, pigfish, you get the idea.

- Peek-A-Bug, the answer to if someone asked the question "What if we made Tango at Great Adventure even smaller, slower, and less spinny?".

- Elmo's Cloud Chaser, a kiddie wave swinger. On our ride through, thirty seconds in, the operator had to get on the loudspeaker and announce... "All guests, please put your cell phones and cameras away. I repeat, please put your phones away. SIR, PLEASE PUT YOUR PHONE BACK IN YOUR POCKET." Sure enough, shortly thereafter, the ride stopped, and the op walked up to a middle-aged man who was completely oblivious to everything and was still holding his phone in his hand. "Sir, you need to put that phone away right now." "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't know!" The op then allowed this guy to keep riding once he restarted the ride. No ejections at Sesame Place, apparently.

We took a walk around some of the other areas of the park, checking out the midway games, some temporary carnival flat rides that were set up for the Halloween season and were not included on the Unlimited Magic Queue either, and of course the famous 123 Sesame Street building steps. We also wandered into the other half of the park to check out their miniature train ride (well, kind of -- there were no tracks and it was running on all-terrain wheels), and the kids got some treats as we wandered through the trick-or-treat trails. We finished up our rides with a quick spin on Vapor Trail for everyone except the two ladies, and honestly, for a "kiddie" Vekoma, it's not half bad. We were contemplating getting the PhotoKey to collect our photos from the two coasters, but at $70 for a single day photo pass? Ugh, forget about it. I swear it didn't always cost that much.

Although that was our last ride of the day, we had one more special event planned for the night. We ended up getting reservations for "Dine With Me", which is a buffet meal for the whole family that includes a show, songs, and personal walk-arounds and photo ops from a number of the Sesame monsters. Saturday's show included appearances from Cookie Monster, Bert, Ernie, Rosita, and Elmo, and as they made their way around from table to table, it was impossible to ignore the gigantic smiles from all of our kids as they got to pose with the cast and get big hugs. The food was honestly the best food I've ever had at Sesame Place as well, with delicious pulled pork and BBQ ribs as highlights on the menu. A definite recommendation if you ever visit with your kids!

Once the dinner and a show was done, we had just under ten minutes left in the park, and since everyone seemed to be crashing hard, we decided to skip out on any further rides at this point. Sure enough, once everyone got buckled into their seats, it was a matter of moments before we heard snores coming from the back of the car. All in all, a successful day and a whole lot of fun for everyone!

• 6 months later...

We are still looking for people to join the Team TPR for Sesame Place Coasting For Kids, happening on June 8th.

Here is the schedule:

8:15am - Check-In

8:45am - Opening remarks from Pam Landwirth, President and CEO of Give Kids The World

9:00am - Exclusive access to Oscar's Wacky Taxi and Vapor Trail

10:00am - All-day access to Sesame Place

Fundraise $100 for Give Kids The World and receive the ERT, park admission and a Coasting For Kids t-shirt!

Here is the link to Team TPR for Sesame Place: http://support.gktw.org/goto/TeamTPRSesamePlace

Thank you everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

We're still looking for people to come out to Sesame Place next weekend for Coasting For Kids! It'll be an incredible day with so many wish families coming out to ride!

Here is the schedule:

8:15am - Check-In

8:45am - Opening remarks from Pam Landwirth, President and CEO of Give Kids The World

9:00am - Exclusive access to Oscar's Wacky Taxi and Vapor Trail

10:00am - All-day access to Sesame Place

Fundraise $100 for Give Kids The World and receive the ERT, park admission and a Coasting For Kids t-shirt!

Here is the link to Team TPR for Sesame Place: http://support.gktw.org/goto/TeamTPRSesamePlace

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

17-year-old Sesame Place worker assaulted by couple over mask policy: Police

https://6abc.com/sesame-place-worker-assaulted-over-mask-policy-police/6364764/

LANGHORNE, Pennsylvania -- A Sesame Place employee underwent surgery following an attack over the weekend.

It happened on Sunday night at the theme park in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.

Hours before the incident, police say the 17-year-old worker asked a couple to comply with the theme park's mask policy. Sometime after 5 p.m., an altercation ensued after the worker again asked the couple to comply with the mask policy, said police.

The couple became hostile and struck the employee, resulting in the boy sustaining injuries to his face and oral cavity, according to investigators.

The worker underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

Police say the suspects fled the area in a vehicle with New York plates. Middletown Township police are working with the New York City Police Department to track down the couple involved.

Anyone with any information is asked to call police at 215-949-1000.

Sesame Place released this statement on the incident:

"On Sunday, August 9, a guest assaulted and seriously injured one of our team members.We've been in close communication with the family of our injured team member, and are hoping for a full and speedy recovery. The health and safety of our guests and team members is our top priority, and violence of any kind is unacceptable and not tolerated at our park. We are cooperating with local law enforcement on this ongoing investigation. Any further questions should be directed to them."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I used to love going here as a kid, but they massacred the entire place. They rethemed the entire left section of the park, got rid of the nets (though I was round for that), and pretty much plastered Elmo on everything, which means we don't get to see any rarer characters like the Twiddlebugs or Slimey now. At least they added Snuffy to the meetable character roster. (Does anyone know if they still have him??) 

Here's a fact: One of my dad's favourite pictures of my non-verbal eldest brother is him on the Little Bird Rapids in the '90s or '00s. There's something so scenic about that image.