Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Thread

P. 25: New TPR Iron Shark POV videos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Re: Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Threa

Postby johnychen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Looks like it's on track to open on Memorial weekend. At least according to this article:

Kane said the amusement park, which extends 1,130 feet over the Gulf of Mexico, is on track to open Memorial Day weekend in May when the motors that drive the 16 rides packed along the deck will roar into action. When I asked about staying within the $60 million budget, Kane hedged slightly but offered this: “The budget and (construction) schedule for something like this is always a challenge, but I think we’re right where Mr. Fertitta wanted to be.”

link to article
I am riding my bicycle from Houston to Austin to help raise money to fight MS. Please support my ride:
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/johnychen2014

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:16 pm

^That's great news. I'll be in the area the following weekend.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Pricing announced, still no official opening date, according to the newscast they are saying mid-summer, the actual news report says start of summer but then again, its the local news...

GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Crews have been hard at work to complete the Pleasure Pier on Galveston by early summer. When finished, the renovated pier will feature rides, games, restaurants and more -- all aimed at encouraging tourism on the island.

The amusement park is well on its way to completion. It looks a lot different than it did even last week, and whether you're thinking about working there or playing there, this is one project that promises to make a lot of folks very happy.

"This is a long time coming. We've been waiting for something like this and it looks so fantabulous to me. I like it," said Phyllis Glenn, who was visiting from Houston.

The world-class amusement park with 16 rides, and restaurants and retail is on track to debut at the start of summer -- the height of Galveston's tourism season.

"It's bringing people here, it's providing something new for them to do, and of course while they're here, they'll explore everything else there is to do on the island," said Leah Cast with the Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Project managers are busy marketing the latest Landry's darling across the country, and travel writers as far as Chicago are talking about the 1,100 foot action-packed pier, re-invented, after Galveston was crippled by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

"They're not gonna stop right there. They're gonna keep going and going, and that's a good thing," said .

The pier plans to provide work to some 800 people, and 400 jobs are still up for grabs.

"Ride operators, servers, maintenance workers. We need some talented mechanics, food and beverage, games, retail, grounds, you name it. There's still openings in every department," said Mark Kane, Regional Director of Landry's Theme Parks.

That's good news for locals, and even better for an island coming back to life.

"There's nothing like this in the south and I think people are excited nation wide about the developments happening here on the island," said

If you're looking for work, a job fair is being held this Saturday, April 28 from 9am-2pm at the San Luis Hotel on the lower level. They're looking for 400 employees.

There's still a lot of work to do. There are 200 workers making this project come to fruition right now. Developers tell us the project is on target for an early summer opening, though they don't have a finalized date set.

Here's a breakdown of what it will cost to visit the pleasure pier once it's opened. If you don't want to ride the rides, entry to the pier will be $10 for adults and $8 for children. For all-day access to rides, you can buy a wristband at $26.99 for adults, and $21.99 for kids under 48 inches tall. There are also family packages available, including a Family of 4 package for $89.99 which includes all rides for two adults and two children.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8636224

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby johnychen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Here's the latest picture of Iron Shark from the Pleasure Pier Facebook page..

www.facebook.com/galvestonislandpier
457071_352293891486471_100001175882425_901725_961269637_o.jpg
Latest pic of Iron Shark from the PLeasure Pier Facebook page.
Viewed 2624 times
I am riding my bicycle from Houston to Austin to help raise money to fight MS. Please support my ride:
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/johnychen2014

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Looks like that vertical loop fell over a bit ;) I really like the way this looks!
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

https://soundcloud.com/jonurban

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby shivtim » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Looks short but intense and twisted! Should be interesting with just lap bars.

Another amazing picture... it's a couple of weeks old but I just saw it today:
source:www.facebook.com/galvestonislandpier

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ace Of Spades » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:58 pm

That layout is *insane*! Really awesome use of vertical space too!
Steam|Xbox Live: Mooco2

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I can hardly believe how compact it looks!

DumbTums

Postby RollerCoasterSmi » Tue May 01, 2012 4:42 am

:omg: Iron Shark just looks so wrong!

That looks incredible and is really different to other Eurofighters. Well done Galveston and Gerstlauer.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue May 01, 2012 5:15 am

Iron Shark might be the best coaster name ever. And should totally be a SyFy Channel movie.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!