TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Just saw this thread and two thoughts/questions popped into my head:

A: I've literally never heard of this six flags park?

B: Wow a six flags park thread with only 48 pages of posts?

It's one of the smaller (if not the smallest) Six Flags parks in the chain. It used to be called Storytown, USA and was themed to a lot of the Mother Goose stories - many of which still remain at the park.

To be honest, it's probably one of the nicer SF parks in the chain despite not having near the thrills of say SFMM or SFGAdv....great place for families with little ones - and a pretty decent water park too.

I think the reason behind only 48 pages of posts is due to it being a smaller park in the chain that doesn't have 15 roller coasters.

I've seen the park being referred to Six Flags Great Escape in the park yesterday, it looks like a Semi branding, the Raging River has this logo on all their boats and after a ride they would say "Enjoy your day at Six Flags Great Escape!" Is this a potental for WB Characters in the park again?

Great-Escape-Box-Ad.jpg.58ae6e67d191d6974b2628d9fd380233.jpg

Edited by logrog04

Having just visited Michigan's Adventure today, I can say that Great Escape is to Six Flags as Michigan's Adventure is to Cedar Fair.

A very myopic view. There is more charm in the entrance plaza at Great Escape than the totality of Michigan's Adventure.

Having just visited Michigan's Adventure today, I can say that Great Escape is to Six Flags as Michigan's Adventure is to Cedar Fair.

A very myopic view. There is more charm in the entrance plaza at Great Escape than the totality of Michigan's Adventure.

And unlike Michigans Adventure witch is in the middle of nowhere, Great Escape is in a tourist town, the Lodge just helps it even more

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah, the reality of the matter, is that Michigan's Adventure COULD be SO much more than it is... Anybody who says it's in the middle of nowhere, doesn't know the area very well, or the areas that surround it. Grand Rapids isn't very far away, and is the second largest city in Michigan, and unlike the largest, is actually thriving, and is on the way UP! The entire West coast of Michigan is a HUGE tourist area in the Summer! MiA is "meh", because Cedar Fair wants it to be that way, not because that's all it can be...

I've always heard TGE referred to as Six Flags' MiA, so larrygator's comment really sheds some light on a) the fact that maybe TGE is better than I thought, and b) MiA is even worse in the personality and character department than I realized!

Yeah, the reality of the matter, is that Michigan's Adventure COULD be SO much more than it is... Anybody who says it's in the middle of nowhere, doesn't know the area very well, or the areas that surround it. Grand Rapids isn't very far away, and is the second largest city in Michigan, and unlike the largest, is actually thriving, and is on the way UP! The entire West coast of Michigan is a HUGE tourist area in the Summer! MiA is "meh", because Cedar Fair wants it to be that way, not because that's all it can be...

I've always heard TGE referred to as Six Flags' MiA, so larrygator's comment really sheds some light on a) the fact that maybe TGE is better than I thought, and b) MiA is even worse in the personality and character department than I realized! [emoji38]

I stand corrected.

I've always heard TGE referred to as Six Flags' MiA, so larrygator's comment really sheds some light on a) the fact that maybe TGE is better than I thought, and b) MiA is even worse in the personality and character department than I realized!

The Great Escape caters to a completely different audience/community than the typical Six Flags park. That's why:

It has never been branded Six Flags

They built a very successful Lodge (12 years ago, but never carried that over to other SF parks)

They brought back some old themeing after initially removing some it in favor of Six Flags Intellectual Properties

[quote name="larrygator"The Great Escape caters to a completely different audience/community than the typical Six Flags park. That's why:

It has never been branded Six Flags

They built a very successful Lodge (12 years ago' date=' but never carried that over to other SF parks)

They brought back some old themeing after initially removing some it in favor of Six Flags Intellectual Properties[/quote]

I've seen the park being referred to Six Flags Great Escape in the park yesterday, it looks like a Semi branding, the Raging River has this logo on all their boats and after a ride they would say "Enjoy your day at Six Flags Great Escape!" Is this a potental for WB Characters in the park again?

Like i said, They might bring back the WB Theming because their starting to "Flag" it

Great-Escape-Box-Ad.jpg.82570e77268bb78d2d526c2551550452.jpg

I got a front of the line pass to any ride at the park, what ride has the longest wait

The Bobsled (if you're lucky enough to go on a day and time where it is open, which is becoming more and more rare). The little and fun Thunder Alley (drivable cars ride) in the entrance/Greezed Lightnin'/Sasquatch area also accepts Go Fast Pass and has a pretty low capacity, so if it's a ride you wish to try out it is worth using your GFP there. Most of the other rides are walk-ons or have relatively little wait on most days according to my experience.

I got a front of the line pass to any ride at the park, what ride has the longest wait

The Bobsled (if you're lucky enough to go on a day and time where it is open, which is becoming more and more rare). The little and fun Thunder Alley (drivable cars ride) in the entrance/Greezed Lightnin'/Sasquatch area also accepts Go Fast Pass and has a pretty low capacity, so if it's a ride you wish to try out it is worth using your GFP there. Most of the other rides are walk-ons or have relatively little wait on most days according to my experience.

It was a voucher, not a go fast pass, my entire family got them, I think k we're doing Raging River because everyone in the family likes it2fbf1b9544aeb09f08735a53170795e0.jpg

If you head to Raging River right when it opens (I remember it opening an hour after the rest of the park), you could probably get a few rides without any wait. I agree the Bobsled has the worst wait and would be my recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Great Escape today for a little road trip, and the weather couldn't have been any better. I just wish that the Great Escape maintenance crew was able to keep up better. While overall it was a good day and we rode most of everything major we wanted some big rides were plagued with downtime or never ran. Now in my opinion over $50 is a lot for most parks but here it is quite a bit for the older crowd but I get it, it's designed for the younger generation who can ride both the adult and kid rides with nothing requiring more than 48".

However when you also pay that and a majority of rides are down it kind of sucks. I went here over Darien Lake because I thought Darien Lake was having more issues based on what I've read and I personally like Great Escape for its atmosphere and charm it still has over Darien Lake.

---We were able to get a ride in on the bobsled before the line got to long, they were only allowing the first three rows to be filled which reduced its already low capacity, but it was still a good ride and a unique one too. Always been a fan of the ride itself.

---After we were able to hop on other Supernova which was neat and our favorite The Comet, which also as usual was a people eater. However after the first ride about an hour and a half from opening it went down, now this wouldn't be the first time which was surprising to me. They were able to get it up and running later and we ride it a couple more times with no issues.

---We got some rides in on the parks other flats as well: Greezed' Lightning, Screamin' Eagles, Both Sasquatch towers, Bumper Cars and the two main water rides.

---We also took the obligatory ride on Steamin Demon which is worse than I remember, head bang city after the loop.

Now overall it was a good day, operations were smooth on what we rode, lines were minimal and food service was even good. However the fact that most rides were down most of all day stunk. Rides closed included Balloon Flight for the first few hours, Comet and Sasquatch at times, Blizzard, Flashback and Canyon Blaster were down all day and even the water park had its share with Twister Falls and Black Cobra down. When two of your five coasters are down all day it kind of hurts.

All in all it was a good day with the exception of all the down rides, being close to me it wasn't a big deal and I have all the credits but it still felt like I lost out on my ticket, if it had paid maybe $40 I could have said that's no big deal, but over $50 is a bit of a letdown.

That's a shame Blizzard was down since it's one of the park's best rides. They run that scrambler absurdly fast.

The park really needs another good coaster to compliment the Comet. Sad part is that if they ever get a new coaster, I feel like it will finally cause the removal of the eternally-on-the-chopping block Alpine Bobsled, which is easily the park's second best coaster.

They would be better off removing the old Nightmare Building or even repurposing it for a new compact coaster or even a ride, its also a shame when I ride the log Flume and just see it sitting there unused and it still has all of its theming. Its also too bad they can't expand more back near Comet, that area is somewhat dead even with two of the bigger rides the park has, but being way in the back people just don't travel back there as much except maybe once a day for one ride on the Comet and then go to the rest of the park.

Prayers go out to the them. I stopped there for an hour and didn't see this. Only thing I saw was the Bobsled stuck on the lift but that isn't out of the ordinary.

Edit- Comments say it was either the Sky Ride.

Edited by Canobie Coaster