Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

P. 303: Wildwater Kingdom to close at end of season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Geauga Lake, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website (Waterpark)

Below are some links to past announcements and updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb
November 14th, 2005 - Wave Pool announced for 2006
December 26th, 2005 - Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall being scavenged for Cedar Point's Demon Drop

November 22nd, 2006 - X-Flight will be leaving Geauga Lake
December 1st, 2006 - Villian to be retracked

January 22nd, 2007 - parts of X-Flight spotted at King's Island
February 5th, 2007 - Improvements for 2007 announced
February 5th, 2007 - Official announcement that X-Flight is going to Kings Island and that Steel Venom will also removed from Geauga Lake
March 1st, 2007 - Clues point to Steel Venom going to Dorney Park
April 24th, 2007 - Article reports that X-Flight is going to Dorney
June 16th, 2007 - Raging Wolf Bobs derails
August 28th, 2007 - Rumors that Dominator will go to Kings Dominion and Thunderhawk will go to Michigan Adventures
September 21st, 2007 - Cedar Fair announces that Geauga Lake will be solely a water in 2008.

June 15th, 2008 - All remianing rides to go to auction. ACE if offered The Big Dipper at no charge.
June 17th, 2008 - Mystery buyer gets The Big Dipper for $5,000
June 17th, 2008 - Other rides sold for scrap
June 19th, 2008 - Geauga Lake auction results
July 9th, 2008 - Double Loop is destroyed
July 22nd, 2008 - Villian is being torn down
August 22nd, 2008 - Parts of Raging Wolf Bobs donated to local Historical Society
Augsut 22nd, 2008 - Cedar Fair unsuccessful in getting minimum bid for property.

April 10th, 2010 - Mystery owner puts Big Dipper up for sale for $65,000
September 7th, 2010 - After falling to get the minimum bid at auction it is announced that Big Dipper will be demolished on September 15th without a buyer
October 2nd, 2010 - Two enthusiasts agree to purchase the Big Dipper

January 10th, 2011 - The Big Dipper back in limbo as sale falls through
July 18th, 2011 - Big Dipper is still up for sale

From the Geuaga Lake Site:
http://www.geaugalake.com/public/new/20 ... cfm#raging

To continue Cedar Fair's excellent reputation for constantly maintaining each of its rides while continuing its commitment to restoring the cosmetic qualities of all attractions, Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom will refurbish many of its coasters and attractions. The Raging Wolf Bobs will receive a major overhaul of its wood tracking. In addition, a Gerstlauer train purchased from Holiday World, will be added to the Raging Wolf Bobs this summer. This will bring the total trains on the Raging Wolf Bobs to two.

I mean, the Gerstlauer train they had on it in 2003 actually ran just fine, MUCH better than that awful trailered PTC train, so this is certainly an improvement! I don't think I've EVER seen two trains operating on this ride since I first starting going to the park in 1996.

--Robb
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 pm.

Random Ranter

Postby kenshinmac » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Wait so they bought the trains from Holiday World... What is Holiday World using now?

Did I miss something...

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:56 pm

That's awesome! The gerstlauer trains take a lot of flack, but I personally really enjoy them. Plus, they are quite nice lookin' if you ask me. They definately are an upgrade from the same, boring PTC trains on most woodies.

I'm from SoCal, feel bad for me!

Postby What Now » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:37 pm

kenshinmac wrote:Wait so they bought the trains from Holiday World... What is Holiday World using now?

Did I miss something...

THe Legend has been using PTCs for the past couple of years.

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:12 pm

I mean, the Gerstlauer train they had on it in 2003 actually ran just fine, MUCH better than that awful trailered PTC train, so this is certainly an improvement! I don't think I've EVER seen two trains operating on this ride since I first starting going to the park in 1996.

Too bad that you never visited the park prior to 1996, because this ride used to be pretty good. Over the last couple years, it has gone severely downhill.

Even with the retracking, it was bashing violently last season. The G-trains are a little less forgiving on the body for the style of ride that this was delivering. We can only hope that they get this thing running back to "good" ride that it used to be.

// Not a big G-train fan
Ted

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby nemesis-storm » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:12 pm

If I remember correctly, Does'nt Villian use Gerstlauer trains?

Thinking out loud here :idea: If GL get desperate for spares or even a car of train, could they swap between rides?

Raging Wolf Bobs was closed, when I went there ... mind you it was a Six Flags park back then :lol: I'm semi looking forward in get a ride on it now

Sexiest Lips in South Carolina!

Postby Homey G. » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:42 pm

Nemesis,

Yeah, they can. That's actually where their first G train came from.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Did they ever finish re-tracking RWB? I remember how funny it was going from the old to new sections!

Elissa "doesn't mind the G trains too much!" Alvey

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:59 pm

^ They are finishing the second-half this year. If any supplies and funds are left, they are going to give the Villian a little TLC.

I have seen the Lexi (The PR Lady) speak twice and it really sounds like they are trying to massively improve the park.
Ted

Beer Fueled Coaster Riding Machine

Postby Rugged One » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Not a fan of the G-trains and definitley not a fan of RWB. When I rode it back in 2003, it was literally the only time I've ever prayed for a ride to end. As a matter, I think I received a mild concussion from a twin G-train dosage of both Villian and RWB. I guess now the park can deliver double the punishment to it's guests. Sorry for the drama, but the day from a physical perspective was about the worse I've ever had in a park. So, for anyone that rode the Legend in it's first two years, how did it run? I'm curious if the park got rid of it because of the ride it gave or because of possible maintanence concerns.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!