Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 394: Smiler back open for a few days before end of season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
DAD!! Let me on the Northeast trip!

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby jason10 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Alton Towers seem to have released that illusive theming element that wasn't revealed on the original plans. Also, the station building seems to have been made larger and more detail in other aspects of the plans have been made available.

Taken from Towers Times:

The new plans, which are available on the Staffordshire Moorlands Council Planning Portal, give us new insight of what the Secret Weapon 7 theme will be.

The new documents show the previously unreleased large theming object that will be in the middle of the ride area. The planning documents describe the theming element as:

The theming complements the industrial nature of the station/maintenance building and comprises a 'spider like' structure with siz legs that extend from the central core (the legs are fixed and do not have any movement). The coaster track winds through the themed structure and is a important component of the proposed attraction.

The station building has now increased in size, compared with the original planning documents due to operational and health and safety reasons.

The new planning documents also reveal that there will be a number of mesh canopies around the queue and ride area.

Full article here.

You can also see all planning documents here.
sw73.png
Viewed 444 times
sw74.png
Viewed 444 times
sw75.png
Viewed 444 times
I have nothing intersting to say here. Have a nice day! :)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:04 pm

The Hell is in that last picture? Looks like the Spider Contraption from Wild Wild West Movie Starring Will Smith LOL :lmao:
Last edited by vacoaster09 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:14 pm.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't know what it is... but if it is anything like the real thing, I'm carrying an over-sized can of RAID to the park with me...
Unified Pride: Skin isn't Dead.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Well didn't see this coming. A building looking like a spider brings me one question: Why? :| Must say I like the station somehow, its nothing special but it isn't over done either. Can't wait for the start of this coaster. By the way they haven't announced the manufacture jet: did they? :?r
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2014: Efteling, Phantasialand, Holiday park, Heide park, Movie park (D), Alton Towers, Flamingo land, Thorpe park, Liseberg, Walibi Be.
The rides of 2014: Sky Scream, Flug der Dämonen, Helix.
First type experience 2014: winged coaster, double launch, flying coaster, horizontal dorp coaster

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 pm

RollerCoasterSmi wrote:^^ Sub Terra isn't that major or exciting, and after Thi13teen I am ignoring Merlin marketing. The Twitter feed is also very persistent and annoying.

Just because Th13teen wasn't correctly marketed doesn't mean you have to ignore this one. It's actually quite cool, and carries on the Nemisis theme quite well with what we've seen so far.

AS for those pictures...

Didn't someone mentioned War of the Worlds as a possible theme for the coaster? That little spider tower reminds me a LOT of the Alien Vehicles from WoTW.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

DumbTums

Postby RollerCoasterSmi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:15 pm

^ I feel, as an enthusiast, that I don't need to follow marketing. I know of all the major additions to UK parks, and I don't need a park to generate excitement for me, I am either excited by a project or not. I will go to Alton Towers quite a lot this year and ride Sub Terra once or twice and that will probably be it. I didn't really see the point in Extremis, I found it a bit meh (the drop was good though). :?r

Another thing: this will probably bring all the guests to Forbidden Valley, right next to Nemesis. That will mean bigger queues on Nemesis (a similar thing happened with Thi13teen & Rita). :(

I love Alton Towers to bits but I just find it so hard to get excited about this, I mean if I want to ride a drop ride I can go to Drayton Manor and ride one of the best in the world.

- - - - -

SW7 is looking absolutely amazing, although as said on the SW7 Facebook page, a roller coaster themed around a large creature seems a bit too familiar: COUGHNEMESISCOUGH!

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby australianalex » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Sub Terra looks kinda cool, I didnt actually know about it being a dark ride/drop tower until now. I just assumed it was a normal dark ride, and I didnt know the name was sub terra. When was that name released? I always knew it as Nemesis: What Lies Beneath.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:56 pm

australianalex wrote:Sub Terra looks kinda cool, I didnt actually know about it being a dark ride/drop tower until now. I just assumed it was a normal dark ride, and I didnt know the name was sub terra. When was that name released? I always knew it as Nemesis: What Lies Beneath.

Nemesis: What Lies Beneath was the "promo" name. Example: LC12 (Thorpe Park) is now called Swarm.
3/17/14: New Update for PLAYLAND PARK (RCT2)! New coasters, new rides, and much more!
1:El Toro, 2:Xcelerator, 3:Gold Striker, 4:Manta (SD), 5:El Loco (Vegas), 6:Montezooma, 7:YOLOcoaster, 8:Kingda Ka, 9:Bizarro (GA), 10:X2
What a season pass?? Record for Manta (SD) Marathon: 12 in a row (2/8/14) 'Cuda Falls Soliloquy!!!!!!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AstroDan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am

RE: Sub-Terra - Alton will not be advertising this clear cut as a ride. It's an "experience" / "attraction".

Anyway, they have been carrying out some marketing stunts in a shopping centre in London. I quite like it, as it's better than what they have sometimes done in the past and brought in some Z list celebrity like they did with 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlA5znMDIPc&list=UUWr05Cjj6w-EmLVdyCdlVvA&index=1&feature=plcp
Last edited by StealthFan on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 am.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby StealthFan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am

I am really looking forward to Sub-Tera but I do hope the lifts you use to get underground to the loading platform are not as shiny as that :P I think this is a great little publicity stunt. Nothing too over the top, just nice and simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!