Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm

The Merlin coaster announcements make me cringe. Looks like it will be a decent GCI, and the fire effect has the potential to look cool, but they're definitely overreaching on all of their bragging points.

This is my favorite part of the post:
"Ride operating team will undertake over 100 hours of training each between now and the opening of Wicker Man so guests know that they are in safe hands and can ride in complete confidence."

Because if you still think Smiler is dangerous, we're trying to trick you into thinking we're going to put fire close enough to the wooden track to burn the structure down!
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:The Merlin coaster announcements make me cringe. Looks like it will be a decent GCI, and the fire effect has the potential to look cool, but they're definitely overreaching on all of their bragging points.

This is my favorite part of the post:
"Ride operating team will undertake over 100 hours of training each between now and the opening of Wicker Man so guests know that they are in safe hands and can ride in complete confidence"

I'm sure that's a direct result of the Smiler accident. How about also training your maintenance staff and like, not dispatching trains without visually checking they're clear!? Now that I think about, is 100 hours even that much? That's like 2.5 weeks of training, meh.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:This is my favorite part of the post:
"Ride operating team will undertake over 100 hours of training each between now and the opening of Wicker Man so guests know that they are in safe hands and can ride in complete confidence."

Ride op staff at Universal Orlando have been on site at Fast & Furious for a least a month training now and that ride isn't even a roller coaster and doesn't open until sometime around May. That sort of training is pretty standard here in Orlando, is Alton Towers saying that's not the 'norm" for their other rides??? :Pr
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Jew wrote:Oh, but Robb, those are not fused together! They are just regular Fire FX. :lmao:

So it's supposed to be more like this?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

^ :nina:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 pm

^ :lmao:

Time will tell, I guess, but this tentatively looks like the next chapter in a long line of overzealous marketing ploys that ultimately under-deliver.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm kind of glad that feelings about the actual coaster are moving back in a positive direction; I'm disappointed that the ride will be on the smaller side, but still happy for a new wooden coaster. The marketing, though...yeah, others have covered it. I approve of fire effects on coasters, though!

Still having trouble wrapping my head around it really being named Wicker Man. But I think I approve.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:I'm disappointed that the ride will be on the smaller side, but still happy for a new wooden coaster.

Stats are similar to Fun Spot Orlando's White Lightning, and that ride is awesome. And besides, what Alton coaster is on the "bigger" side?

Still having trouble wrapping my head around it really being named Wicker Man. But I think I approve.

I will never be able to think of this ride without thinking of:
TybTuTL.gif
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:
cal1br3tto wrote:I'm disappointed that the ride will be on the smaller side, but still happy for a new wooden coaster.

Stats are similar to Fun Spot Orlando's White Lightning, and that ride is awesome. And besides, what Alton coaster is on the "bigger" side?

It's absolutely a fair comment. IMO, a major park like Alton Towers SHOULDN'T be getting rides "with stats similar to Fun Spot" as Fun Spot is a smaller FEC, pay-per-ride type of a park. It's literally mainly a "go karts" place with some cool rides. (nothing wrong with that, I love Fun Spot!) . And while White Lightning *IS* a great ride, it's also a perfect fit for a smaller park, not a major park like Alton.

And when you ask "What rides at Alton are on the bigger side?" are you actually being serious or just trolling? Because no intelligent person would make that statement. Nemesis is quite possibly STILL the best inverted coaster out there. Smiler is still a world record holder. Air a giant sprawling MAJOR ride. And even though Oblivion may be short in track length it's still in the top 50 "tallest drops" in the world, which is actually still quite significant.

I'm hoping that the ride is at least somewhat decent because I feel it's been a while since either Alton or Thorpe have installed a ride that makes me overly excited about going back, which is why we haven't been since 2010. And just to be fair, you didn't see me rushing out to ride InvadR either. I'm sure it's a fun ride, but it's not major enough for me to make a trip just for that one coaster.

Now that coaster going in at Blackpool this year...
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:00 pm.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby JayTricky » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 am

I am happy the coaster is getting what seems to be, a good theme, and fire effects. I just hope this is not to distract you from the fact that the coaster itself is short, unspectacular and unmemorable. I mean, looking at the construction photos and plans so far, it doesn't seem to have any stand out features? It looks like it will be a fun ride, with enclosed parts, pre-show, effects and a giant flaming wickerman you race through 3 times - but like I mentioned I do feel this is to mask what will be a tame coaster. I will reserve my final judgement of course until riding.

And as for the worlds first claim - the less said about that complete and utter lie, the better.

Also as Robb has hinted to above, I have a feeling that there will be another ICONic ride with a bigger appeal this year...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!