TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

This appeared on the Alton Towers Facebook page last night... wonder what's going on

VR on The Smiler?

Nah! Advertising would have started 10 years ago for it. I am surprised nobody has said lab bar Smiler, but I know it won't happen as the GP would NOT buy into a rollercoaster that goes upside down 14 times with a lap bar, and recently crashed.

^ That was my immediate thought when I saw that "logo".

And then... I don't think I could take that. On that coaster.

Of course, the VR could be themed to say, a spider's nest?

SW8 has progressed substantially over the winter, with the site now totally cleared of the former Flume entrance and station.

What will become the ride station can be clearly seen down at the Mutiny Bay end of the site, whilst at the top end of the site, near the Rapids, the outline of the foundations for the first turn is already in place.

Source: TowersTimes on Facebook

001.thumb.jpg.f501e3c603fddc90fd84d1e1ca30445d.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.3d5c0a1aebe80f7799e3adc141a11dc9.jpg

003.thumb.jpg.d0c66dfa9f7d04a3503de1f27410f29d.jpg

004.thumb.jpg.c1d6b75fe8bedea7c8546a87eb15e62e.jpg

Little look over the construction site at Towers today, admittedly know very little about 'SW8' because I don't trust Towers to come up with something good and my loyalties lie with Blackpool PB, however I've said for years they need a woodie and we can only hope they won't let us down!

Nemesis is still the best coaster at Towers for me despite all the additions since, everything seems a bit too family friendly at Towers for my liking and when we did get a new 'thrill coaster', I was hopeful of something more enjoyable than a coaster built only to be a world record holder.

• 3 weeks later...

Alton Towers have submitted the lighting schedule for SW8 to Staffordshire Moorland District Council. These plans reveal further details of SW8's main theming element, with it thought to possibly be a large 'wicker man' structure, in accordance with the trademark filed earlier this year. There also appears to be a potential viewing area in the middle of the coaster's structure.

Source of plans: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=113162

18034160_10155220540953185_7096846481400598809_n.thumb.png.2ccdae9ef98d65297d23f8e47f7db969.png

A closer look at the theming element.

18056714_10155220540453185_9116706694435692218_n.thumb.jpg.9a6cc8fc0c1a461df1078a667e110767.jpg

18056934_1880956218596998_8900135973414123200_n.jpg.ab857aa307998e5db6fb3d5cd2dc521e.jpg

It looks like this is where the theming element in question will be sitting. Though the gap between it and the building seems a lot smaller than on the plans.

Source: Theme Park Worldwide

As much as I love Alton, I gotta ask what the heck was going on in the board meeting hat discussed the theming.

"So, we got GCI to manufacture the coaster, but we need a theme... ideas?"

"...a statue built by a bunch of people that worship the Celtic gods and demand a human sacrifice?"

"BRILLIANT!"

OK. Having been thinking it would be piratey due to the original teasers (Walk The Plank/ Shiver Me Timbers were my fun names of personal choice) years ago, now they may it seems be going for The Wicker Man and siting it in Gloomy Wood location wise I have two out there but possible ideas.

1. original teasers did link it to old log flume- could it still have water, still on theme because water puts out...

2. Fire. Yes, I'm thinking, long shot but possible, could be a world first and have fire. On a wooden coaster (not as crazy as it sounds as timber can be fireproofed and distances made safe etc, surely very possible with what we now know, maybe even a fire tunnel like stunt rider props for coasters hehe)

Blackpool wowed people with Valhalla, could it be slightly dark ride plus coasterish?

Slightly out there theory but in The Wicker Man

"The villagers force Howie inside a giant wicker man statue, set it ablaze and surround it" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man#Plot

So maybe fire then a splashdown to 'put it out'

And re the 'isn't it a family ride' factor, horror has influenced lots of rides such as Saw, Hex, Thirteen, Ghost Train... and it might be kind of teen-upwards level family target, so can see it being along those lines. Horror's not so horrific in 2017 for many, for some yes, but it's somewhat mainstream now from computer and board games to TV, films and of course theme parks.

Fire. Yes, I'm thinking, long shot but possible, could be a world first and have fire. On a wooden coaster (not as crazy as it sounds as timber can be fireproofed and distances made safe etc, surely very possible with what we now know, maybe even a fire tunnel like stunt rider props for coasters hehe)

They could go for the world's ONLY though since Apocalypse's at sfmm hasn't worked for a long time (as far as I know?)

Fire wouldn't be a World First, but I do think the trains will be fire themed, with possible fire effects on the Wicker Man after the train passes through it. We know the lift is going to be magnetically propelled rather than a chain lift so I would assume the World First would be first wooden coaster with a launch. I assume they would go for the World First marketing rather than European First with their reasoning being that Lightning Rod isn't a true wooden coaster because of all the steel used.

As much as I love Alton, I gotta ask what the heck was going on in the board meeting hat discussed the theming.

"So, we got GCI to manufacture the coaster, but we need a theme... ideas?"

"...a statue built by a bunch of people that worship the Celtic gods and demand a human sacrifice?"

"BRILLIANT!"

It could well be that Wicker Man was maybe a codename or working title for the design, with it being a woodie. And they probably liked the idea of it and designed a theme around it. The SW prefix is used more for marketing and hype these days. Their design team will be designing potential rides for certain parts of the park all the time, they will all have different project names. They will just get the Secret Weapon number as and when the ride is confirmed to be the next one to be built and the final plans are submitted for approval.