Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

P. 75: Plans filed for a B&M in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Re: Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Postby alejon » Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 am

Halloween at Gröna Lund!

October 27 to November 5 Gröna Lund will host its first ever Halloween event.

The park will be decorated in different Halloween themes, the small area will be for children.

On the big area there will be 4 horror houses, House of Nightmares will be spiced up, the Blue train will have living ghosts, the bumper cars will be turned into a horror maze, and Lustiga huset will be remade into Olustiga Huset (Funny house to "Not funny house"). There will also be a fire show every day at the big stage.

18.00 every day there will be a horror-parade and you can then meet the creatures at the horror zone.

All rides will be open (depending on weather) except the flying carpet which will be closed due to planned maintenance.

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Mon May 15, 2017 3:43 am

^ Sweet video. Really well done, hopefully the attractions will be as well executed then we could be in for a treat.
Note to self: don't be stupid...

Current top coaster = Expedition GeForce.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Awesome video! Makes me want to get a flight and get over there for it, in October!

Their Fun House could be amazingly terrifying, if they do it right. Which I'm sure they will. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby alejon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:18 am

Gröna Lund have received the building permit for the new coaster, it can still be appealed for a few weeks though. They also haven't got permission to start building yet, for that they need more technical documentation, but that won't be a problem.

It is possible to follow the process here (Swedish) "Senaste beslut" translate into "Latest decision", and as you can see it says "Lovbeslut bifall" which translates into "Permit decision granted"

Postby alejon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 am

Gröna Lunds Haloween commercial, which apparently was banned from being used as a commercial before other clips on Youtube..

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm

^Great commercial!

I would love to go to this event.

If anyone does go, please post a trip report. I can live vicariously through you.

Thanks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tobbizz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Walked past the park entrance this Tuesday and saw they have started on some halloween decoartions. Looks good so far

Postby alejon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:30 am

Visited Gröna Lund yesterday for my first ever visit to a Halloween event at a theme park. I managed to snap som pictures with my phone, and due to the darkness and the fact that the place was absolutely packed the pics turned out less than stellar. Hopefully they will give an idea to how great the atmosphere was.

So this was the first ever Halloween event for Gröna Lund. With the exception of Fritt fall and Flygande Mattan, which was closed for planned service, and Radiobilarna which had been turned into a scare attraction, all the rides were operating. The coasters would close if the temperature was to go below 4 degrees Celsius (39F), and the operating towers at high wind. Yesterday was quite mild at 8 degrees Celsius (46F) and very low winds, perfect!

They had four scare attractions (might contain some spoilers):

Motel Hell/o in place of Radiobilarna, themed around a haunted motel was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the interaction you got with the receptionist and portier. The decor was very good, especially for something that's only supposed to be used for 9 days and built on the bumper cars.

House of even worse nightmares is the classical House of nightmares, but enhanced with more live actors. You basically got your own "guide", who was stuck inside the house forever. She would suddenly disappear just to pop up somewhere else along the way. This was the best scare, the story was great.

Zombie zone, outside scare on one of the restaurant platforms in the sea. The premises was a zombie attack an the military had been sent in, only to turn into zombies themselves. Not much decor, but the make up and acting was very good. Unfortunately the group ahead of us pretty much ruined our experience by holding everyone up and running backwards screaming, for some reason they were carrying two 8-9 year olds as well....

Olustiga huset, a remake of Lustiga huset. Unfortunately we missed this one as it was getting late and the queue had grown to 75+ minuets. But after looking around on the internet it seems to be a dimmed and smokey Lustiga huset with live actor clowns.

In addition to this Blå Tåget also had live actors inside and there was a child-friendly house with friendly ghosts in the kiddie area.

Worth noticing among the other rides was that Jetline ran great, seemed a bit faster than during the summer. The damp weather probably helped speeding it up. Pop-Expressen (Huss Breakdance) ran a longer and more intense program, felt really forceful!

I really feel Gröna Lund did a good job with this event, and as far as I've heard the park has been more or less packed all the days it been open so it's been a hit with the public as well. Would be very surprised if it didn't return in the future.

Onto the pics!
DSC_0062.JPG
Welcome to Gröna Lund and Halloween! (Ok, I cheated and took this pic when we left..)
DSC_0060.JPG
The small area had loads of pumpkins and fun activities for the whole family.
DSC_0059.JPG
Flying elephants transformed into mummy elephants
DSC_0058.JPG
Moving over to the big area, the path was dark and surrounded by cornfields.
DSC_0055.JPG
This area was themed to "Dia de los muertos", with cooperation of the embassy of Mexico.
DSC_0040.JPG
As you can see the place was pretty packed!
DSC_0042.JPG
Olustiga huset, the huge crowd in front is the queue..
DSC_0043.JPG
Scary things happening
DSC_0044.JPG
Gröna Lund was lit!
DSC_0039.JPG
Love the atmosphere after dark
DSC_0047.JPG
A bit blurry, but it's a tank! A real tank, used by the Swedish army from the late 30s/early 40s.
DSC_0048.JPG
The queue into the zombie zone
DSC_0050.JPG
Where you could find loads of rubbish!
DSC_0054.JPG
Gröna Lund still has one of the most amazing settings.

Postby alejon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 am

Sorry for double post, but I found this photo on the Swedish public broadcasters (SVT) news page, yesterday the northern lights could be seen in Stockholm, and over Gröna Lund!

In other news: The Halloween event was a success with 85 000 visitors on the 9-day event. Gröna Lund states they already have started planning for next years event, which will be bigger.

On Tuesday (November 14th) the proposal for the zoning plan for the expansion will be presented for public consultation, so expect a bit more information then. Gröna Lund have stated that the expansion is an investment of at least (probably a bit more) one billion SEK (120 million USD).

According to an interview in a paper the investment for the B&M and the redevelopment of that part of the park is about 400 million SEK (47.5 million USD)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

That's an awesome shot! Thanks for sharing.

Glad to see Grona Lund expanding.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Boulder Dash, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!