Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

P. 75: Plans filed for a B&M in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Postby viking86 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 am

Have to agree, that is a cracking shot! And it reminds me that I haven't been to Gröna Lund since 2011 and it's probably time to make another trip. ;)

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby alejon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 am

Parks & Resort have published a press release where they talk about the expansion plans. They have been working together with the city of Stockholm for two years to come up with the proposal for zoning. Compared to the last effort the actual park expansion seems to be smaller this time (8.000 sqm compared to 11.000 sqm, Gröna Lund of today is 38.000 sqm.). They also make a point in that attendance at Gröna Lund has been up 50% in the last 10 years, an impressive feat!

Towards the streets "Allmänna Gränd" and "Falkenbergsgatan" there will be 2-3 storey buildings inspired by old buildings in the surrounding area. The buildings will have cafés and restaurants on the bottom floors towards the streets and will thus be open to the public. On the backside by the tram stable (farthest away from today's Gröna Lund) there will be a public square. And along the water there will be a public promenade, meaning there will be access to the water without having to pay entrance to Gröna Lund. The new area will be connected to the current park by a bridge. The new area will have rides, restaurants, games etc, no plans regarding the exact utilization are finalized.

The new area has been used as an amusement park before, between 1924 and 1957 competing "Nöjesfältet" existed here. Both parks were family owned and the competition was really fierce, including putting a dead horse in front of the opposing park. In the end the daughter of the Gröna Lund owners and the son of Nöjesfältets owners fell in love and got married. This story is in the process of being turned into a movie, which will premier on Christmas day 2018. The cast is several famous Swedish actors so it has the potential of being a fun watch!

Link to the full press release (Swedish): www.mynewsdesk.com/se/parks-and-resorts/pressreleases/groena-lunds-utbyggnadsplaner-skickas-ut-paa-samraad-2266726
Allmänna gränd mot vattnet - Illustration Tillsammans-ÅWL arkitekter (1).jpg
Concept art showing the future of "Allmänna Gränd", current Gröna Lund to the left, the expansion to the right and the water straight ahead.
1931.jpg
Nöjesfältet in 1931, with a totally unknown coaster. Gröna Lund can be seen to the right.

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 pm

alejon wrote:The new area has been used as an amusement park before, between 1924 and 1957 competing "Nöjesfältet" existed here. Both parks were family owned and the competition was really fierce, including putting a dead horse in front of the opposing park. In the end the daughter of the Gröna Lund owners and the son of Nöjesfältets owners fell in love and got married. This story is in the process of being turned into a movie, which will premier on Christmas day 2018. The cast is several famous Swedish actors so it has the potential of being a fun watch!

Interesting story, and the photo is neat, too.

including putting a dead horse in front of the opposing park

Erm.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby alejon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 am

The proposal for the zoning plan is now on public consolation. The consultation will go on for 2½ months, until the end of January 2018, thereafter it will be on audit from Q3 2018. The zoning plan is expected to be adopted in Q2 2019, and Gröna Lund except to start construction in 2021. So everything is still very far out, but in the meantime we have a B&M and reconstruction of a big part of the current park to look forward to!

For obvious reasons the plans presented doesn't include any rides, they haven't been decided on yet but Gröna Lund has said that they plan on building world class attractions on the spot. The area is actually pretty small, but seeing this is Gröna Lund they'll probably fill it with awesomeness. The new area will also have a basement, where they are planning to have workshops, environmental station, logistics and dressing rooms.

It also seems that I misunderstood some of the information posted earlier, the planned square is actually by the ferry jetty. The boardwalk will be inside the park, but there will also be a public pier outside the park. Below is an overview map over the new area and its surroundings. You can clearly see the public pier and the boardwalk on the Gröna Lund area.

And this is the view that will meet you when arriving by boat.

A bridge will connect the current area with the new, there will also be a new entrance that directly takes you to the new area.

The view on "Falkenbergsgatan" will drastically change, from this:

To this:

Having quickly read the plans it all seems good. The plan allows for rides of all sorts, but the number of high points are limited to only a few so don't expect numerous really tall rides. But I still think a coaster of some sort is to be expected, a mostly low to the ground Intamin launch please?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 am

^ Another dark ride would be cool to go in there, somewhere. But whatever they're putting in, it looks very nice from the outside. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby viking86 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Want to have all of Gröna Lund to yourself? As a part of a charity event, the park is auctioning off two "Magic hours" where the winner gets the whole park for two hours. According to Mattias Banker in Parks & Resort, two hours with a fully staffed park is worth about 1,3 million SEK (about $150,000), but the park is hoping to get at least three times that amount to donate to charity to prevent child trafficking.

Source (in Swedish): https://www.di.se/nyheter/grona-lund-auktionerar-ut-sig-sjalvt-kom-inte-med-skambud/

Mattias is urging the country's business leaders to bid "until it hurts the budget".

Postby alejon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:55 am

The B&M invert is now listed for a 2021 opening (was 2020), source: Gröna Lund. No reason for the delay is given.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rill'o'beily » Wed May 09, 2018 6:18 am

Vilda Musens track has been painted gold for this year, and a portion of the support structure has been repainted as well in the light blue with some added gold stripes and the grid support for Vilda Musen above the walkway has been painted black/brown for some reason

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RollerManic » Wed May 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Just now seeing the stuff about the expansion, although I do now recall mumblings before. Anyway, I think it will be really cool to see how they squeezethe new B&M in there when itwill be so near/ontop of the new enterance. Hopefully that bridge will provide unique views of the ride.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rill'o'beily » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 am

I need help from any locals or frequent visitors to the park, I'm planning on going to Sweden so that I'll be in Gröna Lund for about 5 hours on the 14th of August (about 11:00 to 16:00), can anyone tell me if it would be terribly busy or could I do all the big rides (coasters, towers, funhouse, blå tåget, maybe like one flat) in that time?

I've gone there two times, the other time I could easily do everything I wanted in that time (june) but last time I went in september even though the website said there might be less people the place was packed and most rides had waits of up to 40 minutes (except strangely jetline)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!