TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Just to add to Apollo's praise, this park has the best customer service I've yet to experience in the industry. It seems like they take everything into consideration. My friend lost his phone on Thunderbird's roll. Despite dealing with this 100 times a week, the lost and found staff was very friendly and they acted concerned. He filled out the contact information form and purchased a new phone, writing it up as a loss. A week later, his phone arrived in the mail. Holiday World took the liberty of shipping his phone to his home and ate the cost of shipping, without even taking it up with the owner.

I can only imagine how friendly Beer Man would be if the park were to give him a chance.

Speaking of which, Paula, have you guys ever considered doing any kind of a beer, wine, food, and/or music festival? I'm not one of the types who's making a suggestion and inferring that I could improve your business strategy, but I'm just genuinely curious if it has ever been discussed. Granted, I'm sure the local county laws and ordinances have a ton to do with alcoholic beverage sales.

^ Thanks for sharing that story. I had my own odd experience with a cell phone and blogged about it (eek! a decade ago!).

It's a good reminder not to take phones on our coasters. Because in addition to being dangerous to yourself and others, this sort of thing happens:

brokenphone-438x768.jpg

Regarding your question about different events, we've experimented with several over the years. The ones that "stuck" so far are Rock the World and HoliWood Nights.

^ Hard to believe, but I wouldn't put it past some people to try that.

I suppose "Non-Returnable" could be put on front of the box, to avoid that problem?

Also, you don't put "the new ones" into the box, until the following week.

Hello Paula,

Just saw your video update on Facebook of your work on the Voyage. As a deaf person, I just wanted to say thanks to Holiday World for your efforts to subtitle the video, it makes a world of difference to me to be able to understand what's being said in the video and that it didn't go unnoticed. Not many companies today subtitle their videos due to the additional work required. I actually visited Holiday World from Minnesota for my Bachelor's party for the first time this year with three other deaf friends and we were pleasantly surprised to see someone who knew sign language at guest service and they were very friendly to us! You made our trip very memorable for us and we enjoyed your park, the Voyage became my #1 wooden roller coaster! Thanks again for your fantastic customer service in and out of the park!

Roar-o-saurus and Mine Blower both have boxes of smashed devices too. Roar-o-saurus takes it a step further and they have a white board tallying what has been lost on a given day and the entire season.

Back to Holiday World, I'm excited to see Voyage is getting some more track work. The ride was just the right amount of aggressive before it became uncomfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

RWS Entertainment Group has sent us a press release announcing the development of new entertainment offerings for the 2018 season at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari!

RWS Entertainment Group (RWS), a New York City based full-service production company that creates award-winning custom entertainment, live events, and branded experiences worldwide, announced today that it will cast and produce an entirely new entertainment line-up for Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana. The announcement was made by Ryan Stana, CEO and Founder of RWS Entertainment Group.

Drawing from its vast reach within the New York City entertainment industry, RWS will bring Broadway-caliber productions to Santa Claus, Indiana, assembling its accomplished team of directors and choreographers from the Great White Way to create a fresh and modern show package for the 2018 season. Holiday World has won numerous industry awards and continues to innovate its attractions, experiences, and entertainment, and this brand-new partnership with RWS will make Holiday World’s entertainment a must-see in the park this year.

The new package will include a gravity-defying stunt show and a dazzling night time musical spectacular for young and old alike. Guests will spend their days enjoying strolling entertainment featuring awe-inspiring acrobatics, singing, dancing, a strolling band, amazing illusions, and even an interactive DJ experience. Together, Holiday World and RWS will raise the experience for all guests to enjoy a whole new level of joy and merriment, and for all talent to perform in a cutting-edge, awards-caliber package.

“RWS has a history of producing innovative, top-of-the-line entertainment for our clients around the world and we’re looking forward to partnering with Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari to continue our tradition of creating shows that leave a lasting impact on audiences,” said Ryan Stana, CEO of RWS Entertainment Group. “We encourage all performers to not miss this opportunity to be a part of something new, and join the RWS family. We’re incredibly supportive, and have an extended network of alumni performing on Broadway, acting in films and on TV, and traveling the world performing on cruise lines. We always welcome the opportunity to grow our team.”

Auditions for all interested performers are set for February 17, 2018. Audition details and preparation information will be announced via the RWS website in mid-December.

RWS Entertainment Group is an Emmy Award-winning, New York-based live entertainment production company that creates custom entertainment, live events and branded experiences for top resorts, cruise lines and theme parks. In 2015, RWS opened the largest facility of its kind in New York City - a 40,000 sq. ft. studio and office complex that houses three large rehearsal studios, vocal rooms, wardrobe and casting departments along with an in-house design lab. In 2016, RWS acquired Broadway, film, television and commercial casting firm, Binder Casting, further expanding RWS’ services. In 2017, RWS announced global expansion with an emphasis on business growth in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

The drop was something spectacular, and the elevator lift up definitely was a thrill of its own too! Overall, though, I thought it was alright in my opinion. I do think that space could be used for something potentially much better someyear.

I never liked this Intamin ride or had a positive experience across 2 visits. Without a doubt, the best part for me was ascending the tower because of the lean that the boat took when going up the arc, but it never turned out to be as scary as it looked from down below.

The main point of the ride - the way down, was just water being sprayed in your face at such a speed you had to close your eyes, and the splash was an abrupt stop that had my knees meeting the plastic backs of the seats in front of me way too harsh, and I'm only 5'8"! At least log flumes have a curve to the drop to give you a little airtime, there was nothing great about the triangle slide in my opinion

It seriously might be the only ride that I passionately disliked. Remember how big the splash was supposed to be?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/09/santa-claus-indiana-gets-20000-letters-a-year-and-elves-reply-to-all-of-them

Santa Claus, Indiana gets 20,000 letters a year – and 'elves' reply to all of them

Every year, this little town is inundated with letters addressed to Santa Claus, and since 1914 volunteers have written back with personal replies

I did this for my job last Christmas (except we sent the kids cringeworthy poems from the Internet instead of personal notes). Let me tell you, some of the letters we got were heart-meltingly adorable.

I wasn't wowed by Pilgiraffica. I remember being intrigued and excited when I first heard about it, though.

That plot of land where Pilgrim's Plunge used to lay is a major eyesore. I don't fault the park for removing it due to the troubles it gave them, but I really hope something goes there in the near future.

I'm sure they have something planned, although one would have thought it would have happened already. Maybe the fact that they still haven't touched that area hints at a higher budget attraction. I'm kind of surprised the water park hasn't been expanded in that plot of land, yet.

In my completely unrealistic hopes and dreams I imagine a sky ride station leading up to the top of the hill, with Beer Man pleasantly waiting at the bottom giving a cold delicious welcome to all who visit him.

Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge seemed like a gimmick whose time was limited. Grsnted I've never rode it. Never even been to HW personally. But I've never been impressed with chute-the-chutes in general. I've done Tidal Wave, Perilous Plunge and they are just tall boat slides. At least Jurrasic Park and Pirates of the Carribean have dark ride elements and other stuff. But just going up and around and back down seems like an experience that gets old quick, regardless the height. I hope HW gets another ground breaking steel giant coaster in the future.

While we’re speculating, I would love to see a solid family coaster with a low height requirement come to the park, when the time for a new coaster arises. I think something along the lines of FireChaser Express or Manta at SWSD would be perfect, since that is their core demographic, and unless you count Raven or Legend as family coasters, it would really fill a gap.

Throw me in the group of Giraffica haters.

It looked like the coolest flume ever...and then you hit the water at the bottom and then that abrupt stop. I bit the inside of my cheek hard enough to draw blood. Ow.

Glad to hear about the shows though...this park needs something like that.