TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Why does HW have so many wooden coasters?

The Midwest + Pennsylvania just has a thing for parks with lots of wooden roller coasters.

Here is the global list of parks with 3 or more wooden roller coasters:

Blackpool: 5

SF Great America: 4

Kings Island: 4

Mt. Olympus: 4

SF St. Louis: 3

Holiday World: 3

Kennywood: 3

Knoebels: 3

Hersheypark: 3

Michigan's Adventure: 3

Kings Dominion: 3

Canada's Wonderland: 3

Adventureland: 3

Indiana Beach: 3

Camden: 3

All but 4 of those parks are located in the Midwest + Pennsylvania (and CW and Camden are close enough to be thrown in with that general region as well).

Edited by Steely Dan

I think there are so many wooden coasters out that way because those were the only type back then and most of the original parks were there as well. I guess it makes sense that they would have so many woodies. Like how most newer parks have a plethora of steelies. But HW's are fairly new do I was wondering why in this modern age they kept building them. I like the answer above that Koch liked them. That's actually what I was thinking.

I think there are so many wooden coasters out that way because those were the only type back then and most of the original parks were there as well. I guess it makes sense that they would have so many woodies.

The history angle really only applies to Pennsylvania, and the rest of the northeast.

The Midwest (despite its illustrious roller coaster history) only has 1 golden age roller coaster left: Legend at Arnolds Park.

The Midwest is positively flush with wooden coasters (41 total), but all of them (except a few) have been built within the last 45 years. It's a modern phenomenon, not a holdover from the golden age.

Edited by Steely Dan

^ A bit of our history ... Arnolds Park and their Legend were scheduled to be demolished and replaced by condos in 1999, the year we named and announced our Legend. Happily, the park was saved. But for those sweeties who've accused us of "stealing" the name, it was up for grabs at that point.

Meh. I think Holiday World is as over hyped by their staff as it is by their fanboys. I feel like they embrace a "Holier than thou" type of attitude, as have their obsessed fan base. If you looked at their Facebook posts and comments, you would have thought Firecracker could go toe to toe with Fury 325.

The park is nice I guess, but I just don't get the insane hype. Thunderbird and Raven are fun, but I told Emily that they're still one steel coaster away from being appealing to me. Then she brought up the fact that they don't sell beer or have fast queue systems. That's my girl. I can only pretend to be happy about free parking and sun screen for so long, until I can no longer ignore the type of clientele these free bees attract. The park is three hours from us and we don't even bother with it. Maybe it would be different if we set aside some time to go other than crowded weekends.

Bill, if chugging sugar filled free soda while over hyping every ride in the park is your thing, I think you will enjoy the park. Make sure to take a couple ibuprofen before riding the Voyage. I would personally plan for more time at Cedar Point.

Yes, Haters will hate.

We went to HW the day after KK and I was very disappointed. I thought Kentucky Kingdom blew Holiday World out of the water. Holiday World was okay and had a good waterpark. But out of all the parks we went to last year it was 2nd to last after Indiana Beach.

Question: is there a dress code/restrictions for riding the water slides? Like if I go to the park in "normal clothing," could I pop over and ride some of the slides without changing? I'm specifically interested in the water coasters but any other slides that would allow this I am interested in as well!

Also, is there a way to get paired with people on the raft slides if you go to the park alone?

^ I think as long as you have on shorts, you're gonna be alright.

On a related note, anyone going Saturday, the weather forecast is starting to look bad after 3 p.m. I'm gonna chance it and hope it holds off until after close. I'm kinda hoping the potential bad weather thins out the crowd.

Also, is there a way to get paired with people on the raft slides if you go to the park alone?

Both water coasters have dedicated single-rider lines. As for other raft rides... you're kinda on your own. (if you're desperate, ask a group if they're willing to share a raft with you).

I don't know about HW but most water parks I've ever been to here out west won't allow any type of pants and as for shorts, no jeans material and no rivets. Also no footwear. Not even watershoes. This applies to water coasters too. You can call or email the park and ask. That's probably your best bet.

Question: is there a dress code/restrictions for riding the water slides? Like if I go to the park in "normal clothing," could I pop over and ride some of the slides without changing? I'm specifically interested in the water coasters but any other slides that would allow this I am interested in as well!

According to the park's website, shirt and shorts are okay on waterslides. Though they don't specify on the website, I'd stay away from denim and belts. If you have nylon shorts, I'd say you'd be good.

Splashin’ Safari

To participate at Splashin’ Safari, swimwear or shorts and shirts may be worn and must be modest in design. No revealing (such as “cheekster” bikini bottoms or thongs) swimwear allowed. Clothing or body art which Holiday World determines is rude, vulgar or contains inflammatory language or graphics is not permitted. Swim shoes, sandals, and aqua socks are allowed (and encouraged if your feet are sensitive) on the water slides. Children in diapers must wear swim diapers (available in our shops). Guests must change into street clothes (shoes, shorts and shirts) before returning to Holiday World. Showers and changing rooms are provided and rental lockers are available.

I really love Holiday World for what it is. I've visited every year since Voyage opened in 2006 as I live really close to the park, and I'm a big wood coaster fan, so Holiday World just gives me a fun local park to ride some amazing woodies (plus my favorite wing coaster). I tend to visit the park as a regular guest most of the time, and I've only done Holiwood Nights once. I'll be back this year though, and I'm excited. IMO, Holiday World is best visited when the water park is open since Splashin' Safari is one of the best water parks around, especially with 2 kick-ass water coasters. Without the water park open and with light crowds, Holiday World is easily a half-day park, nothing more. They just don't have enough attractions to justify staying a full day or longer if you're visiting from out of town. I tend to circle the park once, ride everything I want to, then just ride the coasters to my heart's content until I get bored, or until the park closes, whichever comes first lol. No way does it surpass Cedar Point in my eyes, and while it still does have a bit of that small park charm, I will say that a LOT of the original feel of the park died when Will died and the ownership shifted. It's just the truth. Still a good park, just not the same as it was before 2010.

Bill, if you've never been, then you'll have fun trying out all the rides and water park if willing to check it out. Voyage is still my favorite traditional wood coaster, and the ride collection, while small, is still pretty good. Check out the Plymouth Rock Cafe, too, if it's open. It's got some pretty good thanksgiving style food.

I don't know about HW but most water parks I've ever been to here out west won't allow any type of pants and as for shorts, no jeans material and no rivets. Also no footwear. Not even watershoes. This applies to water coasters too. You can call or email the park and ask. That's probably your best bet.

Nope. As long as you're not wearing spurs that jingle jangle jingle, you're fine.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]