TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

I do not think its weird but a lot of my friends and family think it is when I go to an amusement park alone. I live about 50 min from Six Flags America and get a season pass there every year usually, mainly becuase of the concert series (the rides are just getting old and we gotta wait till next year for a new coaster). I will admit sometimes it does get lonely especially when I get on something where multiple people sit together like a river rapids ride.

last year I went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg alone on my first real solo trip for 3 days. Overall I had a great time. I got to get on what I wanted to, eat what I wanted, and do what I wanted when I wanted. It was a tad lonely though. Especially when I got on the log flume alone lol.

So I guess my question is is there a lot of people that go to parks alone? Also is there anyone else in the Baltimore area that would love to meet up and hit up some parks this summer?

(sorry if this has been a topic before)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to parks by myself and I do it all the time. Not because no one wants to go with me, but because I choose to do so most of the time. I don't mind doing it. I get to ride what I want, when I want, with no one holding me back because of bathroom breaks, headaches, etc.. One of my highlights was when I went to Geauga Lake by myself in 2007 during it's last year of operation, and at one point I was the only one on Dominator...that was a fun experience, having the entire train to myself!

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I have gone to parks alone a lot before, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. Especially if the park is prone to having long lines and they have single rider lines. On the longer trips, where you will be traveling like 4 hours to get to a park or multiple parks, it's really nice to have someone with you, especially for while you are driving. This is one thing I really like about this site. Become friends with one of your local members on here, and then you will always have someone willing to travel to a park with you.

I go to my local parks alone almost all the time. My friends hate going to parks so I don't have a choice. In early 2005 I was all excited about Kingda Ka saying to them how we were getting the tallest and fastest coaster in the world less than an hour away. Their response? ''Who Cares''

Plus no one would want to go as often as I go to parks, and I try to plan visits when I expect minimal lines since I don't like waiting in long lines alone

I dont think it is odd to go to parks alone. I live about an hour and twenty from Great Adventure...and I'm a season pass holder...so when nobody is up for going...I'll go alone on a Friday night (or some random time during the week).

Sometimes I prefer going alone, espcecially if the park is empty b/c I can reride until my head feels like it is going to fall off.

However, the only issue I find is that random weirdos attempt to start a converstation (being that I'm a female might make me more approachable).

I can't do it! I love riding coasters, but it's just not the same without at least one other person with me.

Yup! I did a couple of parks in a day on my own last year and I really didn't like it! It just feels odd not being with someone that you know :S

Dave

I go lots of times alone and have no trouble at all having fun. Like previous posters have said you get to do whatever you like at your own time and don't have to wait on anyone. You get to take advantage of single rider lines which can make your day more enjoyable by getting more rides in and not waiting in long lines.

I usually go to my home park alone, and most parks I go to with my family I'll end up on my own for a period of time. It just works better sometimes as people have pointed out, you can do whatever you want to without having to try to please others. I often feel like I'm holding others up when taking pictures, so I actually prefer being alone then so I can wait for a perfect shot. Additionally, if lines are long I can just relax and take pictures until lines get shorter.

That being said, this summer I'm trying my first trip with friends, going around Ohio. There will be 4 of us total, whom I picked because we can get along and they all ride coasters (though one doesn't spin and another seems to dislike water rides). The benefits are that it's cheaper to split the costs and the car rides would be awful long without anyone to split driving and talk to. The trip might be a bit different than if I were alone, but I'm excited to see how things go compared to my solo visits. I know I have been places before where I would have preferred being alone, but hope this will be great.

I do this quite alot as well. When Xcelerator is running, I usually go up to Knott's Berry Farm on Friday afternoons for 2 or 3 hours before they close by myself. I enjoy going by myself because I don't feel like I have to entertain anybody while I'm there. There are a lot of people who think I'm weird to just go to Knott's by myself, but I enjoy it and I usually meet other people in line and strike up a conversation. And if worse comes to worse, I always have my iPhone handy and will just browse the internet while I'm waiting in line. I prefer going to the park with someone else though when it is crowded and Disney parks are just boring without a friend or group of friends to entertain you.

I've never been by myself yet because I just got my license in November. Sometimes back in previous years I would go to parks with family or friends but for some of the day go off on my own. I kind of liked doing though because I could do what I do, as much as I want to (like reride Son of Beast multiple times). But at other times I would be in line for a long time with nothing to do. I would just text people, but it seemed like every time I actually want someone to talk to, they don't reply... So overall I guess I prefer to be with someone, but maybe take a break and go our separate ways.

Most of my park trips have been alone...all over the country. Usually I'll try and meet up with friends in the area, but I'm good alone. Sure its better to have someone to talk to while in line, but its not a dealbreaker. There's no one here that I know that can/wants to visit these places so I just feel that I'd rather go alone than not go at all.

Like the majority in here, I have done many trips to parks alone. The majority of my trips to parks are of the one day variety. I haven't had a multiple day park trip where I wasn't with someone.

I was in Tampa on business last month. I didn't have anything to do on Friday night, so I made the drive to Orlando and went to the Magic Kingdom by myself for about 4 hours or so. I have no problem doing something like that.

I don't find it too much of a problem going alone, although I do prefer a riding buddy, my large UK trip which I am undertaking in just under 2 weeks time I am going to be alone for most of it, just gonna take an iPod and listen to my favourite tunes in the queues (unless there is a single rider queue, then result!)

Although I do admit that it can feel lonely sometimes, most of the time it is just me and some coasters

I go to SFMM and KBF alone on almost every visit. My friends are afraid to ride and my coaster enthusiast dad doesn't go to the parks very much anymore. I have no problem going alone. I can do whatever I want without worrying about what other people want to do. If my choice comes down to go alone or don't go, which it has, I will go alone without a second thought. On most visits I end up talking to other people in line or some of the employees. On all four of my SFMM visits this year I have had employees recognize me and start talking to me while I was in line or walk up and talk to me while I was walking around the park.

I actually really enjoy going by myself, and usually prefer it. Expecially when if the park offers single rider lines. It great just to spend time at a park doing what I want to do and when I want to do it. Alot of my friends are really nick picky about what rides to go on and when to go on. For instance they would never go on a water ride after 5pm, which is when i like to go on them because there is usually no line. Also if I go on a saturday by myself I would experiment on different schedule stratagies and walk around to check out wait times for certain rides at certain times of the day, just for something to keep in mind for future visits, which is something I wouldn't get the chance to do or find out if I was with a friend or family member. Then since im not waiting for someone or depating on what rides to go on next I can pretty much go to a park and get on all the major rides in under 2 or 3 hours (depending on crowd levels). And then I can go a check out different food venues scatered around the parks that my friends wouldn't want to wase there time and money trying.

My family are those "disney only people" which really becomes a pain. Not that I have anything against disney, because I go to Dland more than any other park every year. It is just after 30+ visits a year to one park, I get kind of sick of it. Because I actually don't know very many people other than you guys who would like to go to a six flags or cedar fair park for the big, nasty, sexy looking coasters.

And just based on how my work/school schedule is, im usually out and about on weekdays during the day. Which having a park open on a weekday during the off-season is just way too tempting to pass up.

But I do enjoy going with people I know from time to time, just so I will have someone to talk to while I am waiting in an hour+ line. And it does feel weird going a river raft ride with some family I had never meet before.

Edited by gforce532

I go to parks by myself all the time. For me, it's an escape. I can spend a few hours at SFMM and not even have to ride very much. Just being in the park, smelling the food, watching people, etc. makes for a good time.

Eric

I live about 12 miles from Six Flags over Texas and love to spend time there. I go to the park by myself alot. I love to ride, and most of my friends just don't share the same passion that I do. I take my cousin on occasion because she loves to ride too. If I had a couple of enthusiast friends to meet up with all the time it would be great. But taking a non enthusiast just drags me down sometimes. So therefore I would rather enjoy the park alone and go at my own pace. If I want to ride Titan 10 times in a row I don't want to hear bitchin' and moaning!! I love taking pictures and such too, and I would rather do that on some alone time then having my friends complain because of my coaster pics.I mostly enjoy going in the evenings. Say sometimes on a nice summer evening on a Sunday. If the parks open till 10pm I'll go about 7pm. Get a few rides in, the crowd is thinning out and I can really enjoy the park. Sit back and people watch or grab me a bite to eat! Just the atmosphere alone is refreshing and gets my mind off the work, school, and life in general!!

I was glad to meet Jim @ WCB last year because him and I just clicked and enjoyed the "Bash"together. This year we got to share expenses and do some other things around L.A. We had a great time at this years. I look forward to WCB 2011. I just wished he lived in Texas because I would have my amusement park buddy.

Edited by cedarpointfangirl

I have no problem spending time at parks alone, and have done so many times. I'm just glad it's so common! It seems like I'm always the weird one who decides to go to some place or event by myself instead of making it into a social outing. Finally I have an interest where solo tripping is actually understood and accepted!

I don't talk to people, but I'm not against it either. I'm just not the type to do so automatically.

When I feel weird because everyone else in the park is with somebody else (and is infinitely better dressed), I just remember that I'm there for a slightly different reason. I'm there for the CREDITS! lol

I know some people say that extreme credit whoring is only fun with friends, and not worthwhile to do alone. I disagree! Yeah, it is strange and mildly embarrassing, but I value every coaster I encounter, no matter how boring. It's just one more experience to look back on.

I can say though that, as with anything, visiting parks and riding with others is always inherently more fun. Those lame coasters and rides I would usually ride silently just become so funny!

Edited by cal1br3tto

In my experience, I've found that the freedom of going to a park alone is quite liberating and makes it a unique experience. You are able to take in more of your surroundings without the distraction of having someone else with you.

However, I will say it's better to do it at a park you've already been to and ridden everything before. It is slightly disappointing to be all pumped up before/during/after a new ride and not having anyone to share that excitement with. I had my first ride on a B&M invert on a solo trip and I was high with adrenaline coming down the exit ramp. I wanted to share that feeling with someone so I called my wife on my cell. She was like, "Yeah...so it was fun? That's cool. Well I gotta go, the kids are trying to tip over the recliner." *Click* Talk about a Debbie Downer...wah...wah...wah. In that situation, it would have been much better to have someone with me. Imagine taking your first ride on Kingda Ka or Millie solo. I'm sure it cheapens the experience slightly for the same reason.