TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to parks alone?

I've never done a trip to a park alone, but I'm making plans to head to Cedar Point alone late this summer. I haven't been there for about 10 years and my wife is pregnant not only does she have very little interest in riding coasters, but now she shouldn't be. Hoping to get a good day in at a big park alone before it will be harder to.

the responses on this thread have given me confidence that a solo day at the park will be not only fine, but good and enjoyable.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter will not be able to make our second big coaster trip this summer. It's going to feel weird as I haven't been to a park without her since we caught coaster fever exactly a year ago. I would just bail, but I didn't buy a platinum pass to go to Carowinds, Dorney, and a couple of hours at KD. So it's a solo park week coming up for me.

We can do the trip again next year and I'll have plenty of info to possibly make it a better experience.

We can do the trip again next year and I'll have plenty of info to possibly make it a better experience.

This is the thing. I've been to a number of parks solo, because I find getting away from everything relaxing, and I work for a travel company so they give me lots of time off and discounts on travel. A couple of parks I've been to solo I ended up taking the family to later when they ended up being better than I thought they'd be.

Gosh, I'm always traveling alone. I am well aware of the benefits of solo travel (I'm only able to be so brisk with my vacations because I don't have to wait on other people), but I never particularly enjoy being by myself on trips.

Any suggestions on how to convince / coerce my friends and coworkers to travel with me? It would be hard enough to convince other people to align plans even without my vacations always being a little offbeat.

I'm trying to convince myself to do a solo trip to CP once schools go back in session near month end.

Still apprehensive, but I feel like I need to try and do something fun before fall and winter is upon us here in the Northeast.

I know Michael would want me to, but this grieving process has been really hard on me in terms of wanting to try and do any type of fun stuff alone.

I used to be very much against the idea of gong to an amusement park alone, as I've always believed that part of the fun of a park is sharing the experience with others (friends, family, etc.).

That said, I've experienced a recent conversion. Last year, in the course of travel, I was literally passing directly by Canada's Wonderland. Was I alone in the car? Yes. Was I about to blissfully pass by a freaking giga coaster that I've never ridden just because I was alone? Not on your life! The day was a little bit painful at times (70 minutes for Leviathan without anybody to talk to was a bit rough, honestly), but I learned from my experience and perfected my craft.

This past week I did a solo trip to Cedar Point. I was a bit apprehensive because I have so many great memories of enjoying CP with people I love, and I wondered if I would be able to get past that element of loss. Although I downloaded a few podcasts before going to the park, I barely listened to them. I found that by talking to the people around me in line, as well as texting my family members and friends and snap chatting them pictures of the stuff I was riding, I never really felt alone at all. By the time I got to the end of an eleven hour day in the park, I had totally forgotten I was there by myself.

Flying solo is only awkward if you make it awkward. Nobody cares if you're by yourself, especially if you're having a blast and doing your best to brighten the day of those around you. Also, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it's just a little bit awesome to be totally in charge of your plan-of-action. Believe me, there is not a single person I could have brought with me to CP who would have put up with 3+ total hours spent in the Steel Vengeance queue haha.

I'm trying to convince myself to do a solo trip to CP once schools go back in session near month end.

Still apprehensive, but I feel like I need to try and do something fun before fall and winter is upon us here in the Northeast.

I know Michael would want me to, but this grieving process has been really hard on me in terms of wanting to try and do any type of fun stuff alone.

Aw, understood. I had a life-low breakup a few years ago (still not on the same level as your loss, no doubt) a few weeks before what was supposed to be a highlight of the summer: a booked, multi-day trip for two to Cedar Point. I thought about canceling the trip and tried offering the package to friends, but I ended up going solo while grieving pretty darn well.

It was a bummer at times; it stung to watch other people being together and having fun, but I'll tell you this: I was riding Raptor in the evening, and heading up the lift I looked to my left at a gorgeous red sunset, the coaster skyline, and all the lights coming on throughout the park. In that single instant I thought, "WOW, look at how beautiful this is...this is the big hug from life that I need, I love these rides, I love this park, and I deserve to have fun!" And I did! It sounds corny, but I had my first smile in days during that Raptor ride, and I had an awesome time the rest of the trip.

I will attest that coaster therapy is real.

My take on going alone to parks, is pretty much how going to Playland is. By myself. At age 65.

There are a good number coaster geeks like me in the immediate Vancouver area. And parts

below the border. (Hello Seattle!) But we're very non-groupy. I mean the only time I saw a good number

of "us" was at a coaster call back in 2014 when Robb & Elissa put in a taping of Coaster, while they were

taking an Alaskan Cruise. Great little group we were, and I believe Robb and Elissa got some great

stills and video of us riding Coaster.

But again, we're pretty casual about running into each other, if we're at Playland. Say hi. And then we part.

So hitting other parks on my own is no big deal. I did share a trip with Bert (and Liz and Dianne, yay!)

at Cedar Point last summer. And that was an awesome trip, believe me. And then there's the ten years

of tours I did with Robb and Elissa and Kristen....awesome group trips I'll never forget.

To some of the gp that I meet in parks...I am either a crazy old man who shouldn't be in the park (ha!), or

a "hippie grandfather" who kids wanted to be with them at such parks. And to a few other kids, I'm an

Old Coaster Guy.

I have fun.

IMG_4466.JPG.abafa7633277f5179af743592d5efee4.JPG

Here we are (minus me) - before we went over to the Corkscrew and rode it. 2014 BST. (Before Scandi Tour)

I do it all the time. Makes it easier on the wallet and easier to marathon rides among other things without having to deal with people in a party complaining about wanting to do other things or having to track them down later if we decide to split up in the park. lol I remember back in the days before everyone had smartphones and cellphones if I was in a group we would wind up carrying around 2 way radios.

Aw, understood. I had a life-low breakup a few years ago (still not on the same level as your loss, no doubt) a few weeks before what was supposed to be a highlight of the summer: a booked, multi-day trip for two to Cedar Point. I thought about canceling the trip and tried offering the package to friends, but I ended up going solo while grieving pretty darn well.

It was a bummer at times; it stung to watch other people being together and having fun, but I'll tell you this: I was riding Raptor in the evening, and heading up the lift I looked to my left at a gorgeous red sunset, the coaster skyline, and all the lights coming on throughout the park. In that single instant I thought, "WOW, look at how beautiful this is...this is the big hug from life that I need, I love these rides, I love this park, and I deserve to have fun!" And I did! It sounds corny, but I had my first smile in days during that Raptor ride, and I had an awesome time the rest of the trip.

I will attest that coaster therapy is real.

Thanks Samuel - that makes me feel much better about going to CP alone. Hope that I can snag one of those gorgeous sunsets too...they have the best sunsets there, I think!

Also, sorry about the break-up. Hope someone special has since entered your life!

Fly down to Texas and go to SFoT with me and Nick on Labor Day weekend?

I'd love to have someone to ride the coasters with. .and make it worth getting a FlashPass

hell. . if you don't mind a long car trip, fly into Austin and drive to Dallas with us!

I'd love to have someone to ride the coasters with. .and make it worth getting a FlashPass

hell. . if you don't mind a long car trip, fly into Austin and drive to Dallas with us!

As much as I would love to, Bert - I have plans that weekend and then Michael's Celebration Of Life is the following weekend in Massachusetts.

But you know that Texas is on my radar, so perhaps next year a trip is in order to meet you and Nick and hit up some of those awesome looking parks in Texas!

As much as I would love to, Bert - I have plans that weekend and then Michael's Celebration Of Life is the following weekend in Massachusetts.

But you know that Texas is on my radar, so perhaps next year a trip is in order to meet you and Nick and hit up some of those awesome looking parks in Texas!

I'm trying to convince myself to do a solo trip to CP once schools go back in session near month end. Still apprehensive, but I feel like I need to try and do something fun before fall and winter is upon us here in the Northeast. I know Michael would want me to, but this grieving process has been really hard on me in terms of wanting to try and do any type of fun stuff alone.

I was riding Raptor in the evening, and heading up the lift I looked to my left at a gorgeous red sunset, the coaster skyline, and all the lights coming on throughout the park. In that single instant I thought, "WOW, look at how beautiful this is...this is the big hug from life that I need, I love these rides, I love this park, and I deserve to have fun!" And I did! It sounds corny, but I had my first smile in days during that Raptor ride, and I had an awesome time the rest of the trip.

Chiming in here with my story to both Phil and Samuel since I can kind of relate:

After having such a great time hanging out with Bill and Bert last year when they were at Cedar Point for 2017's CoasterMania at the same time my mom and I were visiting CP for fun, mom and I decided we were going to participate in CoasterMania this year. We got tickets immediately, which was a bit chaotic at first since I was in the backwoods of WV on a ski trip with no reception when the tickets went on sale, and then suddenly a week before CoasterMania this year my beloved father passed away unexpectedly.

There was no way we could go to Cedar Point since the dates overlapped with his celebration of life and I was so devastated from the whole thing that I worried even when I did get back to CP that it would be all doom and gloom. The last year has been a particularly difficult one and prior to Dad's passing I was focused on counting down the days to Cedar Point, a place where I could forget my worries, and now that was all shattered. (I want to note that Bert was a true friend and checked in on me frequently during this time which I am unbelievably grateful for.) Mom and I talked about it and rescheduled the CP trip for 5 weeks later... and had an outstanding time!

Were there dozens of times where I went to text Dad a picture of us doing something or send a video clip of his favorite coaster, Millennium Force? Yes. Those were some hard moments. I will mention that the area back near Dinosaurs Alive as well as the area by the petting zoo has some quiet spots where you can have an emotional moment without attracting a lot of attention. Did we shed some tears because the whole thing felt "off" knowing Dad wasn't at home? Yes. Did we have an awesome time, see some spectacular sunsets, and meet some really wonderful people while standing in line? YES! And you know what - it was really good for us.

There was one specific moment on Millennium Force that just for a minute I totally forgot everything that was going on. I was so in the moment that I felt free and a huge weight lift off my shoulders. Dad would want us to be enjoying ourselves at a place we all loved and I am so glad we pushed on with the trip. I strongly encourage anyone going through any sort of slump or difficulty in life to get out to a park you love. Make it happen because life is short and we only get so many opportunities to enjoy ourselves. If riding some coasters might help lift your spirits for even for 10 seconds then get out there and do it!

I'm trying to convince myself to do a solo trip to CP once schools go back in session near month end. Still apprehensive, but I feel like I need to try and do something fun before fall and winter is upon us here in the Northeast. I know Michael would want me to, but this grieving process has been really hard on me in terms of wanting to try and do any type of fun stuff alone.

I was riding Raptor in the evening, and heading up the lift I looked to my left at a gorgeous red sunset, the coaster skyline, and all the lights coming on throughout the park. In that single instant I thought, "WOW, look at how beautiful this is...this is the big hug from life that I need, I love these rides, I love this park, and I deserve to have fun!" And I did! It sounds corny, but I had my first smile in days during that Raptor ride, and I had an awesome time the rest of the trip.

Chiming in here with my story to both Phil and Samuel since I can kind of relate:

After having such a great time hanging out with Bill and Bert last year when they were at Cedar Point for 2017's CoasterMania at the same time my mom and I were visiting CP for fun, mom and I decided we were going to participate in CoasterMania this year. We got tickets immediately, which was a bit chaotic at first since I was in the backwoods of WV on a ski trip with no reception when the tickets went on sale, and then suddenly a week before CoasterMania this year my beloved father passed away unexpectedly.

There was no way we could go to Cedar Point since the dates overlapped with his celebration of life and I was so devastated from the whole thing that I worried even when I did get back to CP that it would be all doom and gloom. The last year has been a particularly difficult one and prior to Dad's passing I was focused on counting down the days to Cedar Point, a place where I could forget my worries, and now that was all shattered. (I want to note that Bert was a true friend and checked in on me frequently during this time which I am unbelievably grateful for.) Mom and I talked about it and rescheduled the CP trip for 5 weeks later... and had an outstanding time!

Were there dozens of times where I went to text Dad a picture of us doing something or send a video clip of his favorite coaster, Millennium Force? Yes. Those were some hard moments. I will mention that the area back near Dinosaurs Alive as well as the area by the petting zoo has some quiet spots where you can have an emotional moment without attracting a lot of attention. Did we shed some tears because the whole thing felt "off" knowing Dad wasn't at home? Yes. Did we have an awesome time, see some spectacular sunsets, and meet some really wonderful people while standing in line? YES! And you know what - it was really good for us.

There was one specific moment on Millennium Force that just for a minute I totally forgot everything that was going on. I was so in the moment that I felt free and a huge weight lift off my shoulders. Dad would want us to be enjoying ourselves at a place we all loved and I am so glad we pushed on with the trip. I strongly encourage anyone going through any sort of slump or difficulty in life to get out to a park you love. Make it happen because life is short and we only get so many opportunities to enjoy ourselves. If riding some coasters might help lift your spirits for even for 10 seconds then get out there and do it!

That was very touching, Liz...and I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. It gives me great solace to know that several others have made a trip to a theme park a go and still managed to have fun after their lives had been devastated.

I think that I am going to keep a close eye on the weather over the course of the next couple of weeks and may make a mid-week run out there for a quick overnight. I think that I might even splurge and stay at the Breakers again and I am sure that that alone is going to be a challenge because that was the last hotel that Michael and I stayed at before he got sick and passed.

Most of the time I'm going alone to parks and the freedom surely grew on me so I don't mind it as much. But sometimes I wish I could go with somebody that appreciate parks like I do, too bad I don't have that someone in my surroundings.

I really wanted to revisit this post from over a year ago from myself. So recently I made a friend that really enjoys riding roller coasters, he isn't en enthusiast like me he just likes to ride coaster, the more inversions the better for him. I have to say the guy kinda annoys me. Usually after riding all the roller coasters he gets boarded and wants to go home while for me the park holds more gems. This caused me to fall back in my own ways of going alone again, and certain times I just want to be an enthusiast (like the reopening of the Python in the Efteling) then I really can't take him because he will ruin my day. I even was glad that he couldn't come to the opening of Fenix Toverland, I ended up waiting for hours in a queue of a broken down ride talking to complete strangers and having fun and spend the rest of the day hanging out with an enthusiast like me who did the same thing (we met in the queue). My friend would have been bored after half an hour nagging if we could please ride a ride that wasn't broken. Next year I plan to take an annual pass on Walibi to see the construction of the RMC Robin Hood, when he heard that he said he also wants a annual pass next season, he doesn't understand that I take it just to look at the construction of a new ride. I like to have the guy around form time to time but usually I prefer to go alone noways.

That said I did meet two coaster enthusiast like me on my trips. One at the Fenix opening as stated above and one in Movie park Germany in the queue for Star Trek (this was last year). Both times just having someone to talk about coasters on an even plain field really was enjoying. Hanging around other enthusiast really brought the best out in me like riding gems that would have been hidden for years under my nose, these rides I would have never done if I where alone or with my friend.

What I'm trying to say is: I found a new appreciation for going alone. I still bring my friend to parks form time to time it just doesn't compare to have a enthusiast that pushes me to do the weird things.

Edited by RCT3Bross

Welp, I just booked three nights at Lighthouse Point at CP from Wednesday until Saturday! Talking with Dad and Step-Mom tonight and they are all in for going out in the motor home even though Step-Mom is absolutely terrified of coasters (she bawled on Iron Dragon 5 years ago).

Not only is this amazing and awesome news, the weather is supposed to be fantastic (I booked water park/park 2 day combo), to boot! And given that Step-Mom doesn't like coasters, I said that I would splurge for FL+ (if needed) for me and my Dad so she wouldn't have to wait for us while we waited in lines for coasters. More time for shows, beer and the tamer flat rides that she enjoys.

And to also throw in the fact that Friday would have been my 15 year anniversary with Michael, this has the makings to be one very special trip. I am so glad that I don't have to spend this day at work and then home that night alone.

I can't even believe how happy I am right now!