Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1919 - Holiday in the Park Media Day
Users viewing this topic: itsme102 and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 am

boldikus wrote:Speaking of which, the crew on Nitro yesterday was amazing. Bill caught this pic to illustrate to you guys how fast they were sending out trains. It was a sight to see. They were actually waiting for the train to clear the lift block and immediately sending the next one.

The Nitro crew is aiming for 2 million riders for the year so they should be pumping out trains like this all season long!
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 373

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

qwimjim wrote:Thanks guys! Great advice

I guess we can decide if we need fastpass after we get there and see how things are moving? I'm assuming they're not going to run out of them on a Friday in April..?

Yeah don't buy them in advance. You just never know with this park. Crowds on Saturday this weekend were heavy around the park and you would have thought we needed flash passes, but the ride lines were literally non-existent. If you buy them in advance and its dead I highly doubt they would refund you.

A Friday in April could bring some school trips which could add enough frustration where you'll want them but they definitely won't sell out of them. They don't even run out during Fright Fest. You'll know early enough if you want them. Keep in mind the park does close at 6 on Friday.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 am

El Toro's crew was hauling last night too. That combined with the park's awesome reride policy let me rack up a half dozen rides in about 25 minutes right before closing.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 am

boldikus wrote:Yeah don't buy them in advance. You just never know with this park. Crowds on Saturday this weekend were heavy around the park and you would have thought we needed flash passes, but the ride lines were literally non-existent. If you buy them in advance and its dead I highly doubt they would refund you.

Agreed.

I know the prevailing logic around here is that even if the skip-the-line pass only saves you 10-20 minutes per ride it's worth it and I wholeheartedly agree but it wouldn't even have done that on Saturday. The lines were never beyond the merge point ever. Getting it would have actually cost you time just by having to make the transaction and watching the dumb movie.

I've given up trying to predict crowd levels at this park. :lol:

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby CoasterAuditor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 am

My one visit to SFGAdv I planned to be on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer hoping for minimal lines (this was college budget time so flash pass was not an option unfortunately). Almost everything except Batman seemed to have an hour wait at least on a Wednesday. We were there from open to close and only rode Green Lantern, Superman, El Toro twice, Kingda Ka twice, Bizarro, Nitro, and Batman. Granted it was a ton of fun regardless. El Toro was just absolutely amazing. But I agree the crowd levels definitely do not appear to be predictable for this park.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby YoshiFan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am

Yeah it isn't as easy to figure out which days will be empty compared to years ago. I used to be able to look at the operating calendar and pick out least crowded days. Now in the past few years, some of those days like Friday nights at the beginning of Fright Fest have gotten more crowded. Same with Easter Sunday, usually walk ons all day, now 30+ minute waits this year. The park has also changed some things to bring in more crowds. The weekends after Labor Day before Fright Fest were low crowds up until a few years ago, now with bring a friend free, they got very crowded.

qwimjim wrote:Thanks guys! Great advice

I guess we can decide if we need fastpass after we get there and see how things are moving? I'm assuming they're not going to run out of them on a Friday in April..?

The crowd on Friday is going to be over 90% school groups so there should be hardly anyone using Flash Pass. I think the only time they ever sell out of Flash Pass is during Fright Fest and maybe an occasional summer day like a Saturday near July 4th.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am

CoasterAuditor wrote:My one visit to SFGAdv I planned to be on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer hoping for minimal lines (this was college budget time so flash pass was not an option unfortunately). Almost everything except Batman seemed to have an hour wait at least on a Wednesday. We were there from open to close and only rode Green Lantern, Superman, El Toro twice, Kingda Ka twice, Bizarro, Nitro, and Batman. Granted it was a ton of fun regardless. El Toro was just absolutely amazing. But I agree the crowd levels definitely do not appear to be predictable for this park.

Last Summer I strictly went on Wednesday’s because that’s my set day off from work and I’ve never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride, and that ride was Justice League, everything else was 1-2 train waits. Hopefully it keeps that consistency this summer for you and me as well.

Postby Jason Maier » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Well I took my annual trip up to GAdv this past Sunday . . .

Took me 2.5 hours to drive up from Maryland (well, not much Sunday traffic and I was booking 75 mph up I-295).

Had to start the day off with a couple front row trips on Batman: The Ride. Seems that B&M inverts run faster in cooler weather?

Then for a couple of trips on my favorite Wild Mouse . . . The Dark Knight Coaster. Good theme wins in my book.

Of course . . . . Nitro was really hauling it (and the crew there was awesome, getting the trains loaded/unloaded quickly. And all 3 trains were running).

Took a spin on The Joker (green side). Unlike last year, this time I really got some good rotation!

Made my way down the Boardwalk . . . stopped for lunch and did a spin on Green Lantern. Yeah, it's a stand up, but the layout is good . . . plus it don't bonk my ears like Apocalypse does.

Only real wait I had was for front row on Superman: Ultimate Flight. And of course . . . front row of El Toro :)

And this time I remembered to do SORA.

Kingda Ka was running 3 trains (as was Bizarro). . . . and of course I had to do front row :)

I was told that the targeted opening date for Cyborg's Cyber Spin is Memorial Day Weekend

Final count:

Batman: The Ride 4x
El Toro 4x (how I forgot to mention this when I first posted, no clue)
The Dark Knight 3x
Nitro 3x
The Joker 1x
Green Lantern 1x
Superman: Ultimate Flight 3x
Parachuter's Perch 1x
Kingda Ka 3x
Zumanjaro 2x
SORA 1x
Bizarro 2x
JL:BFM 1x

I'll likely go back up again for HITP . . . . yes I know everything past the Boardwalk is closed . . but hey, MORE rides on Nitro in cold weather :)
31206166_10216103362366817_3602472342956912762_n.jpg
Got to love the Pretzel Loop
31301859_10216103362766827_8030621467038016820_n.jpg
Me mugging for the camera with Porky and Petunia Pig
31239561_10216103363526846_4679853402608199655_n.jpg
31180325_10216103363766852_3937234188365688632_n.jpg
Bison in SORA
Last edited by Jason Maier on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm

^ Just curious, I notice a distinct lack of toro in your ride count, did you forget to add it in?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Jason Maier » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:05 am

JG-77 wrote:^ Just curious, I notice a distinct lack of toro in your ride count, did you forget to add it in?

Fixed it . . . . :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!