Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1815 - Holiday in the Park Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Looks like you guys had a good time. I like your friends already; Slim's NASA shirt is cool, and anyone who dares to go by the name Poop is ok by me. :lol:

LOL Poop is one my ride or die dudes. Such a solid guy. Always up for fun times, though Zumanjaro freaks him the f*ck out. :lmao:
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 am

El Toro_Ryan wrote:
boldikus wrote:(you didn't hear it from me: rumors around the park are pretty strong about the roofs of Zumanjaros gondolas being altered so the park can finally run the rides together. We shall see...)

Lol I've also heard these rumors and may have seen a thing or two ;)

If this is true that would be absolutely awesome! Luther is 100x better when Superman launches, I can't imagine how sick Zumanjaro would be with Kingda Ka launching overhead.

Great report! Looks like a fun group. I feel for your poor hungover friend.
Last edited by RAWKIN_coaster38 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 am

He was fine after a few more drinks. Hair-O-The-Dog and all that. ;)
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Sluggo77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am

Here's an article about the new roofs in development for Zumanjaro.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/6xwcyb/great_adventure_may_replace_the_roof_of_zumanjaro/

At ROTB I took the tour of Ka and the guide did confirm that they are looking to modify it so they can run together. Vest restraints would be awesome on Ka.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Here's the direct link to the article in Popular Science.

Six Flags is my science lab

Larry Chickola, Chief Corporate Engineer, Six Flags

I’m responsible for all of Six Flags’ amusements, from the kiddie rides to the roller coasters, in all 18 parks in North America. Right now we’re considering making a new roof for Zumanjaro, the world’s tallest drop tower.

The seats have mesh roofs to protect riders as they shoot 415 feet into the air and plunge into free-fall. We want to make the whole roof bigger because that would make certain design changes easier in the future. But we don’t want to increase the air resistance on a ride that relies on speed. That means finding a light mesh that will cut through the air with less resistance.

So I hooked my laptop to sensors that measure air pressure 1,000 times per second, and brought it over to Zumanjaro with some mesh samples. I needed my laptop to stay open while it rode up and down, so I figured I’d just strap in and hold it myself.

We found a material that lowers the roof’s wind resistance by 30 percent, and weighs half of what we use now. Luckily it took me only 25 runs—and I got an amazing view.

DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:03 am

jamesinclair wrote:Unlike the auto correct pain in the A$$ that turns fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo into fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo

Last I checked no one is forcing you to post to our forums. So if you're going to complain about our word filters please let me show you the exit door...
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:03 am.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Kayla1219 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Okay, I just found this forum and it's so awesome and hilarious. BUT I need some help. So a little backstory...

I am planning on going on a weekend trip with some friends to Six Flags Great Adventure in a few weeks. Now we're thinking about getting the Flash Pass for the first time. I've done numerous research and looked up reviews on them and so far I've gotten majority positive reviews about them. Now I have about...two questions haha. 1. If we get Platinum or Gold, do any of those require us to wear a wristband? (Why do I ask you say...... most likely you didn't say :lmao: ) I ASK THAT because I was trying to in a way, finesse and pay a little cheaper. There will be 10 of us. Each flash pass holds up to 6 people. So I wanted to know since there's really no way of them confirming, maybe we can rotate the Pass. So BASICALLY

- We'd split the cost of a 6 person flash pass between 10 people (so for each person it'll be a bit cheaper)
- 6 people would ride once - We'd give the pass to the remaining 4 people, and 2 who are willing to be wild and go again will join them to make up a full 6
.... Writing this and reading it I know this may seem like a lot and extra work, but I honestly feel like it's not a lot of work, BUT I am just trying to get as much information as I can to see if I came up with a decent idea, orrrrrrrrr if I should just shut up, delete my account and forget I ever posted this..

=) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) Thank youuu

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Flash Pass is not a wristband, it is an electronic device you carry around. Your proposed strategy can certainly be followed.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I went to SFGAdv for the first time ever this past weekend.

I found the operations to be pretty good (better than SFNE). Never had a wait longer than 5 mins for El Toro was nice, same with no line for KK on Sunday.
Random thoughts:

1. El Toro is my favorite wooden now.
  2. First BTR, a very solid ride.
  3. Justice league was well done.
  4. SUF is average compared to the Vekoma flyers.
  5. I really liked GL, no nuts or head smashing.
  6. KK area is themed well, but then they stopped adding things, closed half the area, and put no effort into Zumanjaro so it looks sloppy now.
  7. What is with all the dead ends/lack of cut throughs in this park.

I was disappointed by frightfest though, the mazes acting was average, and there were too many people in at a time (and lines even with the 50$ express pass were still long). The scare zones were small and spread far apart, with not much in the way of Halloween decorations in between.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Kayla1219 wrote:Okay, I just found this forum and it's so awesome and hilarious. BUT I need some help. So a little backstory...

I've bought a two-person Flash Pass before for four people and we just rotated using it throughout the day whenever we saw fit. You should be just fine. Key thing to remember - once you have your device scanned for your ride reservation, immediately schedule the next one. This way the countdown on the new reservation while you're still in the station and riding. It'll make sure you maximize the value of it.

TheDarkMaxim wrote:What is with all the dead ends/lack of cut throughs in this park.

Didn't used to be that way. Ten years ago, I'd have told you we had a great layout. Unfortunately, management changes through the last decade have closed off a bunch, primarily Old Country in 2008 and the Golden Kingdom in 2011. It seems as if the park is slowly working to reopen the Old Country path with JL this year and Cyborg next, but no word on GK.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!