Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby jamesinclair » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 am

JG-77 wrote:Would you guys say this calendar is accurate? I’m hoping I might be able to head up there soon, but my family would probably only be able to go on a weekend (or next Friday - possibly).

Park hours are a good proxy.

If theyre open until 10pm, they expect a lot of people.

If they close at 8pm, they expect less people.

Weather wise, the absolute best scenario is major thunderstorms from 6am to 10:29am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

Yes, but note that if storms keep people away and there's ANY rain at all lingering throughout the day the park will very likely "close for inclement weather". If it's a Fright Fest weekend the park will pretty much (well... in one case, literally) open in a hurricane but they'll close for marginally cold temperatures or a light drizzle if the park is dead and they're losing money.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 am

The park is DEAD today. Just got off Cyborg and can confirm it’s mediocre AT BEST. We flipped once.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am

Referring to all the responses to my question last page about crowds:
I see. As a follow up question, how does GAdv generally handle rain/storm? What rides are most likely to close during rain? If it thunderstorms, how long after the storm dies down before they re-open stuff?

(Sure hope the answer to this question is a bit more conclusive than my last one :lmao:)

EDIT: Just realized coasterbill mentioned some of the answers to the above Q’s in his last post. I’ll leave the questions up there if anyone has something to add.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby hoppedup » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

Here now. Rerouted from Hershey due to weather. A gamble, but we got Nitro x2, El Toro x2, Bizzaro, Runaway, and Kingda Ka in about 1.5 hours. KK was the only wait and it was a two train wait.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm

It's simple...

Great Adventure will run every ride except Kingda Ka in rain, snow or in extreme temperatures if the park is decently busy. They have a wonderful, ludicrous weather policy where they basically run their rides until they valley or refuse to work anymore. During Fright Fest we rode Nitro in the sleet. It was excruciating. They never closed it. Last year they ran their coasters on multiple 19 degree nights.

If the park is dead, they'll close the entire park early in a light drizzle due to inclement weather.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

5-6 years ago I had a visit where it rained hard enough that El Toro, Nitro, and Kingda Ka all closed for a few hours. But once the rain stopped, I had 1.5-2 hours to marathon them before the park closed early.

One of the surprises in that visit was Rolling Thunder. I actually got some really good airtime on the return leg in those conditions.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy and Lake Compounce

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Sportsdude360 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:20 pm

B&MIntaminGCI wrote:The park is DEAD today. Just got off Cyborg and can confirm it’s mediocre AT BEST. We flipped once.

Sounds like the park is running a weak ride program. The thing must be capable of a better ride cycle than that.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

^I got on it again and it did about 3-4 inversions, but still a very tame ride. Looks way more intimidating off of it than it feels on it. On ride is very smooth and seems to meander. Comfortable as well. I guarantee anyone that averts spin N pukes could handle this ride no problem.

Log Flume is currently testing.
Last edited by B&MIntaminGCI on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby hoppedup » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm

They had the ride ops, the merch stand folks and even the safari guide asking, "Did you try Cyborg yet?"

It's so dead my daughter got coastered out so we did Skyway, Safari Adventure, and the Houdini thing. She still wasn't up for coasters so I went back for more El Toro, Nitro and a front row Kingda Ka. Good times! Except for Green Lantern. It was better than Vortex, though.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!