Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1832 - Behind the scenes El Toro video!!!!
Users viewing this topic: Superbatboy, ViperGTS500 and 18 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Sluggo77 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Holy crap. I’d love to try it but I know that would make me sick for sure.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue May 22, 2018 4:25 pm

coasterbill wrote::lol: Boldikus isn't going anywhere near that thing no matter how many drinks he's had. Personally I think it looks great, but I feel like I'll be riding alone because there's no way Brit's riding that thing either.

Truth. Considering he and I both chickened out on Skyscraper at Moreys when all of us were hammered, I doubt he's going anywhere near that thing. I'll take some pictures of Texas' version when I'm down there, but you're not strapping me to that vomit factory.

Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

My goodness. I'm usually fine with spinny flat rides. I love top scans, top spins, frisbees, super loops, and basically any other thrilling flat ride, but I'm not sure I would jump right on this one. You're basically either upside down or almost upside down for the vast majority of the ride! Yikes.
Credits: 170, give or take, depending on how one counts
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @american_thrills

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed May 23, 2018 4:43 am

coasterbill wrote::lol: Boldikus isn't going anywhere near that thing no matter how many drinks he's had. Personally I think it looks great, but I feel like I'll be riding alone because there's no way Brit's riding that thing either.

correctamundo.jpg

I Love Donkeys!

Postby qwimjim » Wed May 23, 2018 10:13 am

Does anyone know if the Safari ride typically runs in October? Thinking of visiting with the kids during Canadian Thanksgiving Oct 6-8, kids are young so Safari would be a big reason to come. That time of year, assuming nice weather, can we expect all the big adult rides to be running too (KK, Toro, Nitro, Bizarro)?

And to anyone who's been to Hersheypark, from a kids perspective (aged 3 and 5), which has the most to offer? Or does Hershey have that much more to offer that it would be worth spending $200 more? SF is free with our Laronde Gold Passes, so it's hard to resist :)

People seem to really speak fondly of the park

Thanks!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 am

Everything will run in October as that is during the height of Fright Fest, so approach with caution. If you're planning on going early in the day, with kids, its actually not the worst time of the year to go. You could hit the safari first and then hit the bigger coasters. But once sundown rolls around (6pm) the park will typically become completely and totally mobbed and you're gonna hate life.

I think Hershey seems to have more to offer for kids, and that time of year they don't get crowds like Great Adventure. Hershey does do a fall event but its aimed at kids and other than a few decorations, they just have a trick-or-treat trail for kids 12 and under. I prefer Hershey to Great Adv in October, but I don't have kids (though I have gone with my sister-in-laws toddler). I just prefer the lighter crowds at Hershey.

Fright Fest sucks.
Last edited by boldikus on Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am.

Postby coasterbill » Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am

Edit: ^ Beat me to it

Every non-water ride including the Safari will be open. Be sure to get there early as the line closes early depending on queue length as it needs to cycle through before it gets dark. The park will likely be very busy that weekend as it's Fright Fest. Get to the park a little before opening.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby qwimjim » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

Ahh fright fest, I didn't think it started that early. I thought first weekend of October the park might be pretty dead :) Guess not. Perhaps labour day weekend would be better for crowds? Last weekend for Hurricane Harbour, I don't know if that's bad or good as far as crowds

Postby coasterbill » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 am

Crowd-wise, anything would be better than Fright Fest.

That said, if you want to come up that first week of October then I'm also contractually obligated to inform you that it's Phoenix Phall Phunfest at Knoebels, which also happens to have the most kid-friendly height requirements of any park in the region.

Postby YoshiFan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am

Hershey is also closed during Columbus Day weekend. Hersheypark in the Dark starts the 3rd weekend of October this year.

If you do go to Great Adventure, I would plan to get most of the rides in on Columbus Day since it usually isn't that crowded. Not all schools are closed and with it being a school night and work night and the park open until 10, the ride lines are usually reasonable once people start to leave and others go to the Fright Fest attractions. The problem with that is Saturday and Sunday are going to be horrible as already mentioned. I have never gone to the park during Fright Fest on a Saturday and seeing pictures of traffic and crowds, I never will.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!