TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The park won't ever randomly close early.

They close early due to "inclement weather" if the park isn't busy. "Inclement weather" can include rain, a brief thunderstorm or mildly cool temperatures. The best way to avoid this is to ensure that you go on a day where it's absolutely gorgeous and the park will have to eat it if nobody shows up or on a weekend during a busy time of year. The same park that will close early due to inclement weather when it's 49 degrees the first weekend in November due to cold temperatures will happily open on a Fright Fest day a few short hours before a hurricane destroys most of the Jersey shore (yeah, that totally happened) or run their 80 mph hypercoaster on a 19 degree night during their busier Christmas event.

Go to Great Adventure, but have a flexible schedule.

Cedarfair parks are starting to do the same thing...

Screenshot_20180720-004005_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ad5744efd56c3fc11af0bf1a4efc6485.jpg

Yeah, I've seen parks like Valleyfair and Carowinds do it but in those cases the weather is generally horrendous with no indication that it will let up for the rest of the day. Great Adventure will use any passing storm as an excuse to close the park for the day if attendance is low.

Yeah, I've seen parks like Valleyfair and Carowinds do it but in those cases the weather is generally horrendous with no indication that it will let up for the rest of the day. Great Adventure will use any passing storm as an excuse to close the park for the day if attendance is low.

Add kings island to that list..

Screenshot_20180720-215611_Facebook.thumb.jpg.db1c9cbf953c03a634b892aa4bc96c77.jpg

If the park is dead and the forecast is iffy go straight to El Toro (or whatever your main priority is). I feel like they're highly likely to close early today "due to inclement weather", and you probably won't have more than a few minutes of advanced notice if they do so ride things in the order that you want to ride them, forget worrying about any other strategy.

For your sake, hopefully they booked a bunch of groups in the park so it's not a total ghost town.

^ When I used to work at (Martin's) Fantasy Island, I always thought it was crazy how many days they closed for rain or just rain in the forecast and always would say to myself that NO other park would ever operate this way... and now 16 years later I stand corrected, lol. Definitely makes it frustrating for someone who has to travel many many hours to get to a Six Flags park... :-/

I mean, I get it, it's a cost saving measure obviously when they wouldn't be making money, but man does it suck sometimes.

I just got back from six flags great adventure.

I arrived at the main gates around 6:45 and left the park at 8. I got to ride

El toro 2x

Bizarro 1x

Runaway mine train 1x

Joker 1x

Harley Quinn 1x

Skull mountain 1x

Nitro 1x

I didn't know they were closing the park early until five minutes before it closed. I wish there was a way to better and sooner communicate that information so people could avoid walking to a few rides and see that it is closed, which I saw quite a bit of happen.

I enjoyed my first ever visit to great adventure but I wish the park closed when the calendar said it would, because I would have gotten a ride on every coaster and rerode el toro more.

So I'm headed to NYC with the fam next week and we will be hitting SFGAdv on Monday July 30th. The weather looks good right now (no rain and 83 degrees), so hopefully that holds up. I have been reading this thread a bit and it looks like I'm good even if it rains a bit. I have a few questions if you guys can humor me:

1 - Is there a membership entrance that lets you in early? (We have Platinum membership passes)

2 - Where are the best places to eat?

3 - Is Ka as finicky as TTD and should I ride it first if it's open?

4 - What is the loose articles policy and which rides is it enforced on?

5 - Any must rides besides the coasters and Zumanjaro, SkyScreamer, and Cyborg?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I have visited all of the SF parks in the USA except for SFGAdv and Great Escape, so I am pumped to finally visit the park and ride El Toro, Nitro, Ka, etc.

1 - Is there a membership entrance that lets you in early? (We have Platinum membership passes)

Yes. To the right.

Macho Nacho. People also like Panda, Grannys (eh), Yum Yum, the cheesesteak place in the Boardwalk. Food at this park kinda sucks.

Yes and yes.

No loose articles whatsoever on Ka, Toro and Joker. Lockers are in front of the rides and are $1 for two hours. You can theoretically get a locker and knock all of these out at once and then get your stuff out. Its what we do. Everything else zippered pockets are OK.

Justice League, the Skyway, Parachutes, SORA, the flume. I haven't ridden Cyborg but its always closed, good luck.

Yes. To the right.

Macho Nacho. People also like Panda, Grannys (eh), Yum Yum, the cheesesteak place in the Boardwalk. Food at this park kinda sucks.

Yes and yes.

No loose articles whatsoever on Ka, Toro and Joker. fantastical pink and yellow unicorns that eat flesh and happy thoughts are in front of the rides and are $1 for two hours. You can theoretically get a fantastical pink and yellow unicorn that eats flesh and happy thoughts and knock all of these out at once and then get your stuff out. Its what we do. Everything else zippered pockets are OK.

Nitro, Toro, Bizarro, Batman, Joker, Skull Mountain, Justice League, the Skyway, Runaway Mine Train, Parachutes, SORA, the flume, Sky Screamer. I haven't ridden Cyborg but its always closed, good luck.

Thanks boldikus!

And don't forget that SORA usually has it's last ride about 4 or 4:30.

IMo you should do it first thing in the morning, thats the best time to see the animals since its cooler and the line is short

I'm going to be at the park on a Sunday in a couple of weeks and am wondering if I should budget for a Flash Pass. (I'm actually starting the day at Sesame Place (gotta make the most of my SWPP) and expect to be at SFGAdv midday to close.) I have no objections to springing for a Flash Pass if it's needed, but I know some parks tend to be fairly dead on Sundays. Also, if the merge points are too far back or if there are restricted rows (e.g. FP rides only in row 4), I'll probably want to pass unless it's stupid crowded. The rides that are important to me on this trip are Ka, El Toro, Zumanjaro (which has a single rider line, right?), & Nitro. Everything else will be gravy. So how much value do you think I'd get out of a Flash Pass? Also, does Justice League have a single-rider line? I thought all of them did, but the one at SFOG doesn't, so I figure it'd be good to ask.

Couple additional questions about Ka & El Toro: I remember hearing at one point about a mythical cut-through path so you don't have to walk all the way around to get to the other ride. Is that a thing that exists and is regularly accessible? Also, is the loose article policy more like SV (no phone but wallet/keys OK if secured) or Universal (absolutely nothing in your pockets no matter how secure)? Do they still allow glasses with a strap?

Thanks!

^ That path does exist kind of, the official path is closed off however if Safari Discoveries is open you can walk through the exhibit to get to Kingda ka from El Toro. Here it is you enter inside the Coasters and Candy shop:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1373942,-74.4366451,3a,60y,280.02h,78.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCwkBbHhRz7EF27rM4eiCjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656