TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Thanks guys! Great advice

I guess we can decide if we need fastpass after we get there and see how things are moving? I'm assuming they're not going to run out of them on a Friday in April..?

Yeah don't buy them in advance. You just never know with this park. Crowds on Saturday this weekend were heavy around the park and you would have thought we needed flash passes, but the ride lines were literally non-existent. If you buy them in advance and its dead I highly doubt they would refund you.

A Friday in April could bring some school trips which could add enough frustration where you'll want them but they definitely won't sell out of them. They don't even run out during Fright Fest. You'll know early enough if you want them. Keep in mind the park does close at 6 on Friday.

Yeah don't buy them in advance. You just never know with this park. Crowds on Saturday this weekend were heavy around the park and you would have thought we needed flash passes, but the ride lines were literally non-existent. If you buy them in advance and its dead I highly doubt they would refund you.

Agreed.

I know the prevailing logic around here is that even if the skip-the-line pass only saves you 10-20 minutes per ride it's worth it and I wholeheartedly agree but it wouldn't even have done that on Saturday. The lines were never beyond the merge point ever. Getting it would have actually cost you time just by having to make the transaction and watching the dumb movie.

I've given up trying to predict crowd levels at this park.

My one visit to SFGAdv I planned to be on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer hoping for minimal lines (this was college budget time so flash pass was not an option unfortunately). Almost everything except Batman seemed to have an hour wait at least on a Wednesday. We were there from open to close and only rode Green Lantern, Superman, El Toro twice, Kingda Ka twice, Bizarro, Nitro, and Batman. Granted it was a ton of fun regardless. El Toro was just absolutely amazing. But I agree the crowd levels definitely do not appear to be predictable for this park.

Yeah it isn't as easy to figure out which days will be empty compared to years ago. I used to be able to look at the operating calendar and pick out least crowded days. Now in the past few years, some of those days like Friday nights at the beginning of Fright Fest have gotten more crowded. Same with Easter Sunday, usually walk ons all day, now 30+ minute waits this year. The park has also changed some things to bring in more crowds. The weekends after Labor Day before Fright Fest were low crowds up until a few years ago, now with bring a friend free, they got very crowded.

Thanks guys! Great advice

I guess we can decide if we need fastpass after we get there and see how things are moving? I'm assuming they're not going to run out of them on a Friday in April..?

The crowd on Friday is going to be over 90% school groups so there should be hardly anyone using Flash Pass. I think the only time they ever sell out of Flash Pass is during Fright Fest and maybe an occasional summer day like a Saturday near July 4th.

My one visit to SFGAdv I planned to be on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer hoping for minimal lines (this was college budget time so flash pass was not an option unfortunately). Almost everything except Batman seemed to have an hour wait at least on a Wednesday. We were there from open to close and only rode Green Lantern, Superman, El Toro twice, Kingda Ka twice, Bizarro, Nitro, and Batman. Granted it was a ton of fun regardless. El Toro was just absolutely amazing. But I agree the crowd levels definitely do not appear to be predictable for this park.

Last Summer I strictly went on Wednesday’s because that’s my set day off from work and I’ve never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride, and that ride was Justice League, everything else was 1-2 train waits. Hopefully it keeps that consistency this summer for you and me as well.

Well I took my annual trip up to GAdv this past Sunday . . .

Took me 2.5 hours to drive up from Maryland (well, not much Sunday traffic and I was booking 75 mph up I-295).

Had to start the day off with a couple front row trips on Batman: The Ride. Seems that B&M inverts run faster in cooler weather?

Then for a couple of trips on my favorite Wild Mouse . . . The Dark Knight Coaster. Good theme wins in my book.

Of course . . . . Nitro was really hauling it (and the crew there was awesome, getting the trains loaded/unloaded quickly. And all 3 trains were running).

Took a spin on The Joker (green side). Unlike last year, this time I really got some good rotation!

Made my way down the Boardwalk . . . stopped for lunch and did a spin on Green Lantern. Yeah, it's a stand up, but the layout is good . . . plus it don't bonk my ears like Apocalypse does.

Only real wait I had was for front row on Superman: Ultimate Flight. And of course . . . front row of El Toro

And this time I remembered to do SORA.

Kingda Ka was running 3 trains (as was Bizarro). . . . and of course I had to do front row

I was told that the targeted opening date for Cyborg's Cyber Spin is Memorial Day Weekend

Final count:

Batman: The Ride 4x

El Toro 4x (how I forgot to mention this when I first posted, no clue)

The Dark Knight 3x

Nitro 3x

The Joker 1x

Green Lantern 1x

Superman: Ultimate Flight 3x

Parachuter's Perch 1x

Kingda Ka 3x

Zumanjaro 2x

SORA 1x

Bizarro 2x

JL:BFM 1x

I'll likely go back up again for HITP . . . . yes I know everything past the Boardwalk is closed . . but hey, MORE rides on Nitro in cold weather

31206166_10216103362366817_3602472342956912762_n.thumb.jpg.04d4ff570b57c376e56f9151fe157206.jpg

Got to love the Pretzel Loop

31301859_10216103362766827_8030621467038016820_n.thumb.jpg.a9984ba2bcd5ece8f24d79cc781eb1fa.jpg

Me mugging for the camera with Porky and Petunia Pig

31239561_10216103363526846_4679853402608199655_n.thumb.jpg.fd1f2ecfcc4be1c19b5bb517ce5923b8.jpg

31180325_10216103363766852_3937234188365688632_n.thumb.jpg.c6a29e270beeeb5077b5a8f0649ac97e.jpg

Bison in SORA

Edited by Jason Maier

The best rows on Batman and Superman are in the back. The pretzel loop is amazing in the back row and Batman really whips you around in the back row. Also, you missed Skull Mountain. No trip to Great Adventure is complete with at least one ride in the very back of Skull Mountain with your eyes completely closed to get the full coaster-in-the-dark effect.

Ok so forecast is not looking too good for tomorrow.. we can only go one day, will it be miserable in the rain? Will Kingda Ka even likely be running?

We could swap things around and go to nyc tomorrow and then leave the city for the day either saturday or sunday to come to the park, saturday still has a chance of rain, and sunday looks windy.. we'd probably have to get gold fast passes if we went on either of those days.. but i just really want to avoid going on a day where KK won't be running, i won't have an opportunity to return so want to make the most of it.

thoughts? sucks, yesterday the forecast was looking great for tomorrow!

Go Saturday or Sunday. The wind forecast looks fine on Sunday, but Saturday if your safest bet I guess.

There's a good chance they'll close early tomorrow "due to inclement weather", especially since it's a Friday in April. It's possible that they'll have a lot of school groups show up and then the "inclement weather" will miraculously be of no concern, but you still have to hope the rain stops when it's expected to so you can ride Kingda Ka. I wouldn't go tomorrow.

As for the Flash Pass concerns I give up trying to predict crowd levels at this park. I expected the place to be slammed last weekend and the lines ever even reached the Flash Pass merge point.

I could just as easily see lines for rides like Kingda Ka reaching 90 minutes on Saturday as I could see them maxing out at 10 minutes.

Edited by coasterbill

^ What he said. That really should be your concern - the weather for tomorrow looks like crap, and unless they do have school groups, no one will show and I would bet money they'll close early. And yeah, Ka won't run in any sort of precipitation. Saturday you'll probably good with crowds not being too bad since the forecast is nice early then rain later, that might keep major heavy crowds away.

Planning on coming to Great Adventure on the last Thursday in June for the first time. Considering the Flash Pass and just have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for. I'm familiar with Universal's Express system and Fastlane, but I know this is a little different than those. So am I correct in that you go to a ride and get a return time basically, and then can ride other things while you're waiting? How long of a window do you have to show up for your time then? Also, with the no loose article policy on Joker, Ka, and Toro, do they let you hold onto them for the ride? These might be dumb questions but any help would be great!

Go Saturday or Sunday. The wind forecast looks fine on Sunday, but Saturday if your safest bet I guess.

There's a good chance they'll close early tomorrow "due to inclement weather", especially since it's a Friday in April. It's possible that they'll have a lot of school groups show up and then the "inclement weather" will miraculously be of no concern, but you still have to hope the rain stops when it's expected to so you can ride Kingda Ka. I wouldn't go tomorrow.

As for the Flash Pass concerns I give up trying to predict crowd levels at this park. I expected the place to be slammed last weekend and the lines ever even reached the Flash Pass merge point.

I could just as easily see lines for rides like Kingda Ka reaching 90 minutes on Saturday as I could see them maxing out at 10 minutes.

Well we went Saturday in the end, beautiful day, and didn’t wait for anything all day! Started with kingda ka, as someone who hasnt been on a real coaster since i was 10 (30 years ago), that was intense more so than bungee jumping or sky diving. I knew it would be fast but did not expect that. Rode it two more times before it shut down for a bit, did the drop a couple times, toro a couple times, Superman, skull mountain, Batman, and nitro a couple times. Never waited more than 10 min for anything, amazing. Totally forgot about bizarro though guess I didn’t see it, thanks for all the advice guys and sooooooo glad I didn’t buy fast passes

So am I correct in that you go to a ride and get a return time basically, and then can ride other things while you're waiting? How long of a window do you have to show up for your time then? Also, with the no loose article policy on Joker, Ka, and Toro, do they let you hold onto them for the ride? These might be dumb questions but any help would be great!

You actually don't need to go to the ride to reserve it. You can reserve a ride from the q-bot device from across the park if you want. The time you reserve is displayed on the device. You can cancel a ride reservation at any time and pick a new one if you choose. You can go to a ride ANY time after your time is past... so if you wait 2 hours for food you can still get on whatever ride you reserved last. You can clip the device onto your clothes and they don't consider a loose article. Yes you can ride other things while you wait.

Protip: don't wait until you get off the ride to reserve your next ride. You can schedule the next ride the moment they scan your pass so do it in the station as soon as they scan it as to not waste any time.

I think that's everything.

The path from El Toro to Kingda Ka was open on Saturday. I asked the kid that was sweeping the area if it had been open earlier this year (understanding that he has no knowledge of future plans). He said he was New this year and didn't even know the path existed.