Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Planet Snoopy is growing
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 am

I521YOU wrote:KD, that may have been us. 2 guys and 2 girls at about 8:45 on Grizzly. It was just us and two people in the front row.

Might've been us,I was wearing my black I305 shirt & riding in the left side of the train.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby bull24471 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

Sagybp wrote:Hey guys.

Next week I'm flying 6,000 miles for my yearly roller-coaser trip in the US.

This year includes 1 day at KD, 2 days at CP and another 2 days at SFMM (plus some other things in between...).

I tried to adjust my trip days so I'll be in the parks only on weekdays, but no matter how I tried to spin it, KD always fell on a saturday.

Anyway, as opposed to the other parks, this is my FIRST time to KD, and I have no idea what to expect there on a saturday crowd-wise.
I'll be there next saturday (May 19th), by the way.

How's KD when it's crowded? I know CP and SFMM on crowded times, and I can only imagine KD, even when crowded, is less crowded than those two.
Should I prepare myself mentally for buying a fast lane? I only have one day at KD (and I'm planing to be there from the opening till closing time), and I wanna ride everything AT LEAST twice (I believe you can learn to love a new coaster only after the second ride...)

Any tips? advices? suggestions?

Crowds usually get bigger by mid day on Saturdays. I tell most people to hit Volcano first Flight of fear 2nd. Those to coasters have a low cycle time for some reason. From there it is pretty much a gamble. You may get very lucky and most people will be hitting Busch Gardens that weekend since Verbolten will be opening on the 18th.
if you want to ride everything 2 times I would get to I305 after Volcano and Flight of fear it is in the same area and can get crowded. But I have yet seen a line over 10 minutes on it. Windseeker is on the other side of the park . You also got fast lane on 15 of the rides at the park so there would be a option as well..
As far as the Crowds it can get a little rough mid afternoons but to me they not as bad as some say unless it is a holiday weekend.

Hope you enjoy your first time at King's Dominion and your entire trip to The US ......

Bull This fat boy can ride I305 .... :lol:

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm

bull24471 wrote:
Sagybp wrote:Hey guys.

Next week I'm flying 6,000 miles for my yearly roller-coaser trip in the US.

This year includes 1 day at KD, 2 days at CP and another 2 days at SFMM (plus some other things in between...).

I tried to adjust my trip days so I'll be in the parks only on weekdays, but no matter how I tried to spin it, KD always fell on a saturday.

Anyway, as opposed to the other parks, this is my FIRST time to KD, and I have no idea what to expect there on a saturday crowd-wise.
I'll be there next saturday (May 19th), by the way.

How's KD when it's crowded? I know CP and SFMM on crowded times, and I can only imagine KD, even when crowded, is less crowded than those two.
Should I prepare myself mentally for buying a fast lane? I only have one day at KD (and I'm planing to be there from the opening till closing time), and I wanna ride everything AT LEAST twice (I believe you can learn to love a new coaster only after the second ride...)

Any tips? advices? suggestions?

Crowds usually get bigger by mid day on Saturdays. I tell most people to hit Volcano first Flight of fear 2nd. Those two coasters have a low cycle time for some reason. From there it is pretty much a gamble. You may get very lucky and most people will be hitting Busch Gardens that weekend since Verbolten will be opening on the 18th.
if you want to ride everything 2 times I would get to I305 after Volcano and Flight of fear it is in the same area and can get crowded. But I have yet seen a line over 10 minutes on it. Windseeker is on the other side of the park . You also got fast lane on 15 of the rides at the park so there would be a option as well..
As far as the Crowds it can get a little rough mid afternoons but to me they not as bad as some say unless it is a holiday weekend.

Hope you enjoy your first time at King's Dominion and your entire trip to The US ......

The waterpark should be open by then so that can help disperse the crowds making wait times shorter for some rides in the park.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:16 pm

WaterWorks doesn't open up until Saturday, May 26th this season.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Intimidator305 wrote:WaterWorks doesn't open up until Saturday, May 26th this season.

My bad LOL!!

I hardly pay attention to the schedules on the back of the maps these days.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

2012 Rescue Challenge at Kings Dominion

How many of you have dreamed of rappelling down the sides of a roller coaster—for example, the Grizzly at Kings Dominion? Some Mid-Atlantic firefighting and rescue teams got to do just that as part of the 18th Annual Rescue Challenge at Kings Dominion this week (May 7-10).

Kings Dominion was one of a number of Central Virginia sites hosting this year’s event, which is rotated around different regions of the state, including Northern Virginia, Roanoke, and Virginia Beach. Rescue workers had to tackle two difference rescue scenarios at the park: a “water rescue” under Anaconda and a “shaft rescue” at Grizzly. These scenarios have various requirements and parameters that the firefighters must follow.

“This gives firefighters a chance to hone their skills,” said R. C. Hagaman, the public information officer of the Richmond Fire Department. The group really has to “think outside the box” to solve the problem and rescue the poor “victim” (in this case, a 185-pound mannequin).

The teams at the park today were from Arlington and Prince William County, Virginia, and Montgomery County, Maryland. Participants this week include not only career firefighters, but volunteers and industrial and military crews. The structures at KD provide an opportunity for them to use “unconventional methods” in pulling off rescues. For example, at last year’s event firefighters rescued someone dangling from the superstructure of Intimidator 305, and Flight of Fear gave rescue crews a chance to work in the dark.

I observed the “shaft rescue” at Grizzly today, and it was very interesting to watch all the teamwork involved—everyone has to pull together at the right time (not to mention on the right rope) for a safe, successful rescue.

“Kings Dominion's number one priority is safety, and Rescue Challenge 2012 provides unique technical training, allowing rescue crews to be fully prepared in the event of an emergency,” said a press release from the park. My thanks to Kings Dominion, with an extra nod to Gene Petriello, the park’s communications manager, for the chance to witness such a unique event. It will be a few years before the park hosts another Rescue Challenge.

Here’s a look at what happened at Grizzly’s “horseshoe” turnaround.
01.jpg
Can you spot all the 300' plus structures in this photo?
02.jpg
Meet Gene Petriello, the park's communications manager. He's been there a month, and this is the first theme park he's ever worked for (not counting a stint as a lifeguard at a water park). Welcome aboard, Gene!
03.jpg
The Prince William team was just getting started at Anaconda, so we headed over to Grizzly.
04.jpg
It's not often that you get to see this side of Grizzly's "horseshoe."
05.jpg
But when you're near Grizzly, be wary of the Shed of Death!
06.jpg
Here's where the rescue took place. And where there's a rescue . . .
07.jpg
. . . there must be a victim. This poor guy fell down a "shaft" represented by yellow tape. The rescue crew from Montgomery County had to work within this limitation by rappelleing down the side of Grizzly, pulling the victim up in a basket, then transferring him to a zipline for the trip back down to safety. Plus, they had to deal with howling Velociraptors from the nearby Dinosaurs Alive!
08.jpg
Here's the crew on the ground . . .
09.jpg
. . . and up on high.
10.jpg
Where there's rope, there's hope, right?
11.jpg
There were men on all sides of Grizzly's turnaround.
12.jpg
"OK, where's that basket?"
13.jpg
Here it comes--that's a long walk up those stairs (around 80 feet, I think).
14.jpg
There's a lot of rigging to be done on the ground, too.
15.jpg
Hope those trees hold.
16.jpg
This will give you an idea of how high up they are.
17.jpg
Looks like they're ready to save that poor guy.
18.jpg
That's John Trawinski, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, dangling from all that rope.
19.jpg
He's a little over halfway down.
20.jpg
"You guys up there keep an eye out for dinosaurs, OK? Thanks!"
21.jpg
Safe on the ground--for now.
22.jpg
"Hurry! The raptors are coming!"
23.jpg
Up they go.
24.jpg
Their objective is that zipline in the middle.
25.jpg
Yep--that's pretty high up.
26.jpg
Almost there . . .
27.jpg
. . . got it!
28.jpg
Now it gets really tricky. The rescuer has to transfer himself and the victim to the zipline for the ride down to the safe area.
29.jpg
As you can probably imagine, this is pretty tricky to do while you're dangling so high up in the air.
30.jpg
Time to bring them down.
31.jpg
Starting the trip back to Earth.
32.jpg
Easy does it.
33.jpg
The view from the safe area (which is a bit swampy).
34.jpg
Almost down.
35.jpg
Ta-dah! Another successful rescue! Well done!
36.jpg
We'll finish with a backstage shot of Intimidator 305. My thanks to Kings Dominion for the chance to observe such a unique event, and to Gene Petriello for being such a good host.
Last edited by cfc on Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 am.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Thu May 10, 2012 6:34 pm

That was amazing of how they did that. I also enjoyed the backstage shots of Grizzly that you never see.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting to see and the 305 photo is my new wallpaper!

Kings Dominion was actually on the news here in Roanoke yesterday about this rescue challenge as our local crews tackled Anaconda. I'm surprised they traveled 3 hours to do this, but I think this is important and unique training.

Last time I remember KD being in the news here was when Intimidator 305 had its media day on April 1, 2010 so I was thrilled to see this...

Roanoke Valley rescue crews take training to new heights at Kings Dominion

RICHMOND, Va. --
When disaster strikes, timing and strategy can mean the difference between life and death -- a fact that certainly ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings true for local technical rescue workers, who are called into some of the most difficult terrains and situations to help people, including one on Wednesday that literally threw them for a loop.

"It's really kind of out of the ordinary," said Lt. Robbie Hagaman, a spokesperson for the Richmond Fire Department and an organizer of Rescue Challenge 2012. "It really challenges them. They have to put their thinking caps on."

Wednesday afternoon, a team from the Roanoke Valley spent time at Kings Dominion for Rescue Challenge 2012 -- an extreme training session that puts their skills and teamwork to the ultimate steel test.

"It's excellent training for us," said Lt. Kelcey Branch with Roanoke Fire-EMS. "A lot of guys jump at the opportunity to come down here and do it."

Their mission -- rescue a "maintenance worker" (mannequin) who had fallen over the edge of the Anaconda roller coaster track and was hanging over the lake the ride is built around.

The team had to figure out how to ferry themselves and their gear across the lake to where the worker was trapped, then build a complex rope rig that would allow them to lower a rescuer down from the track and pull both him and the worker back up.

They had to work through several strategic bumps along the way, but say that's exactly why they do this type of training.

While it's not very likely they'll be doing many coaster rescues in Roanoke, the team says the skills they practiced are the same ones they'd need to use during any type of technical rescue.

"The techniques aren't different," said Branch. "What you need to be able to do to get the person down is not different."

Park staff says the training sessions are also beneficial to them, which is why they work with the agencies to do them, and can help make their rides even safer.

"We're able to see what [the rescue teams] do, what changes they need to make, and what changes we need to make, to make sure that we're all better prepared in the long run," said Gene Petriello, Communications Manager for Kings Dominion.

Nine teams from Virginia and Maryland participated in this year's challenge.

Click here to watch the video.
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/may/10/roanoke-valley-rescue-crews-take-training-new-heig-ar-1904094/

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 am

This is a fascinating event! I had no idea they did things like this. Really great idea, and fabulous coverage, thanks!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 am

^This was the second year that KD served as a site for the Rescue Challenge. Roanoke was supposed to host it this year, but couldn't quite get it together, so it came back to Central Virginia. According to Gene Petriello, Anaconda was grabbing most of the coverage, so it was nice to give Grizzly the spotlight for a change.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!