Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1307 - Delirium Announced for 2016!
Users viewing this topic: Koasterking48, madsencarson, Tee1999, thrillseeker4552 and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Location: Port Republic Va ( but hardly ever there)
Gender: Male
Age: 42

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bull24471 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:05 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:Went to the park today & things were ok until the rains came during the mid to late afternoon.

Managed to get on windseeker twice today,including a coveted night ride to enjoy the lights as well as getting in some laps on the usual but passed on most of the flats for the most part aside from americana & the carousel & everything was going fine until we hit anaconda.

I swear I think we're gonna be using the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo from now on for our loose items because while we were on anaconda someone stole my girlfriend's camera out of the bin during our ride...we had gotten off the ride & went down the ramp when we noticed that her camera case was missing so we went back to look for it & I know I put everything in the bin before riding but alas it wasn't in there but lwo & behold we find the case on the floor near the bin closest to the op's booth but minus the camera.

Aside from that things weren't too bad once the rain let up & most rides were near walk ons,we got at least two laps on rebel yell without having to get off & had the entire yellow train to ourselves for a good four laps on Grizz to close out the night....I didn;t get home till about 12:30 AM this morning & am exhausted.Did anyone else brave the monsoon & hit the park today?


Didn't get to head out to the park today but had to work tonight so know your pain being in the Monsoons!!! :lmao: I feel your pain on someone stealing your girlfriends Camera. About 3 years ago I got a brand new Fuji Digi Camera stolen . I bought it off of a Truck Driver out west for $40 but it was the thought of someone stealing it peed me off most. Of coarse it happen at Magic Mountain in 2009 but still if it ain't yours don't bother it...... Glad you go to ride Windseeker at night . I still haven't seen it with the lights. Me and my Girlfriend carry a back pack with are cell phones keys and camera in it . Also her daily meds as well as all my junk I need.
Image

Bull This fat boy can ride I305 .... :lol:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Location: Manassas Va.
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun May 06, 2012 11:42 am

^Well at least she went out today & bought a new camera but she definitely won't be bringing it to the park again.

Windseeker lived up to it's name last night as it was shaking a godd bit up there,not to mention rather chilly spinning 301feet up in the air at 9:30at night following the cooler ground temps the rain bought with it.Has anyone ever had a problem at outer hanks with the foodbeing overly salty? I swear the fish & chips there tasted horrible because of the amount of salt....next time I think we'll stick to jukebox diner for dinner but I'm part & partial to victoria pizza myself as their cheese pizza is fabulous IMO as far as park food goes.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby I521YOU » Sun May 06, 2012 10:04 pm

I moved to Virginia last summer and went to the park for the first time on Saturday. We got there around 1:00PM and hit a few rides before a downpour around 4:00PM, but we did Flight of Fear during this time and it mostly cleared up by 6:00PM with little to no lines for anything afterward. Overall, we had a great time. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:
1. Intimidator: This did not disappoint. It was unbelievably fast and intense. It also had about a 2 train wait all day. Could be made better only by having lapbars instead of the straps, but a small complaint overall. I think this slides into my #2 spot behind Maverick. A+
2. Volcano: I was pleasantly surprised. This is an awesome coaster. Starting to show its age in the theming department and fairly mediocre in capacity, but I have heard these will both be addressed this off season. A hidden gem though. Truly awesome. Definitely in my top 5. A+
3. The Towers: Drop Tower and Windseeker were both awesome. Enough said. A
4. Ricochet: This was insane. I expected a fairly boring mouse, but this was flying. No brakes at all throughout the course made some of the hairpin turns seem almost too fast to be possible. We rode this a few times as it was one of the more thrilling rides in the park, we thought. Awesome mouse! A+
5. Dominator: I rode this at GL and it is running much better in its new home. It had a horrible vibration when I rode it on several occasions at GL but had only mild shuffling in the corkscrews on this trip. Was fun and enjoyable overall, better than at GL, but still nothing to write home about. A-
6. The woodies: Rode them all and loved them all. My favorite was Grizzly in the dark and fog after some rain. Great experience even if a little rough. I had heard horror stories about these woodies but they were pretty smooth I thought. Nothing like HW's woodies, but above average I would say. A nice surprise. B+
7. Non ride stuff: Starlight Spectacular was pretty cool. The Eiffel Tower and fountains are pretty cool. This park has pretty nice infrastructure and lots of trees!

CONS:
1. Walkways: It appears that at some point this entire park was asphalted over and they've been slowly working to fix it. There were a few areas that were horribly uneven and in need of repair.
2. Bathrooms: I thought the park overall could use a few more bathrooms, particularly back by Flight of Fear and Intimidator. The ones they had were passable, but a few needed some renovations.

I'm very glad to call this my home park. It is much nicer than a lot of enthusiasts give it credit for! What a great collection of rides. Will be back soon!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Location: Manassas Va.
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun May 06, 2012 10:28 pm

^Were you by any chance riding Grizzly close to closing time in yellow train?We practically had the train to ourselves with only a couple other guys in the back while we were up front.I think the rain certainly helped to make the woodies run faster & a bit smoother than usual.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Location: Port Republic Va ( but hardly ever there)
Gender: Male
Age: 42

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bull24471 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm

^ Glad to see you enjoyed your selves on the first visit to the park. I have noticed the uneven paths as well and I know some were done to allow drainage in certain areas. And as far as I305 , Dominator, and Grizzly yea there my favorites but then I remember when grizzly was built and rode it on its first season.
Image

Bull This fat boy can ride I305 .... :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby I521YOU » Sun May 06, 2012 11:53 pm

KD, that may have been us. 2 guys and 2 girls at about 8:45 on Grizzly. It was just us and two people in the front row.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Sagybp » Mon May 07, 2012 4:03 am

Hey guys.

Next week I'm flying 6,000 miles for my yearly roller-coaser trip in the US.

This year includes 1 day at KD, 2 days at CP and another 2 days at SFMM (plus some other things in between...).

I tried to adjust my trip days so I'll be in the parks only on weekdays, but no matter how I tried to spin it, KD always fell on a saturday.

Anyway, as opposed to the other parks, this is my FIRST time to KD, and I have no idea what to expect there on a saturday crowd-wise.
I'll be there next saturday (May 19th), by the way.

How's KD when it's crowded? I know CP and SFMM on crowded times, and I can only imagine KD, even when crowded, is less crowded than those two.
Should I prepare myself mentally for buying a fast lane? I only have one day at KD (and I'm planing to be there from the opening till closing time), and I wanna ride everything AT LEAST twice (I believe you can learn to love a new coaster only after the second ride...)

Any tips? advices? suggestions?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Location: Manassas Va.
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 am

I521YOU wrote:KD, that may have been us. 2 guys and 2 girls at about 8:45 on Grizzly. It was just us and two people in the front row.


Might've been us,I was wearing my black I305 shirt & riding in the left side of the train.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Location: Port Republic Va ( but hardly ever there)
Gender: Male
Age: 42

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bull24471 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

Sagybp wrote:Hey guys.

Next week I'm flying 6,000 miles for my yearly roller-coaser trip in the US.

This year includes 1 day at KD, 2 days at CP and another 2 days at SFMM (plus some other things in between...).

I tried to adjust my trip days so I'll be in the parks only on weekdays, but no matter how I tried to spin it, KD always fell on a saturday.

Anyway, as opposed to the other parks, this is my FIRST time to KD, and I have no idea what to expect there on a saturday crowd-wise.
I'll be there next saturday (May 19th), by the way.

How's KD when it's crowded? I know CP and SFMM on crowded times, and I can only imagine KD, even when crowded, is less crowded than those two.
Should I prepare myself mentally for buying a fast lane? I only have one day at KD (and I'm planing to be there from the opening till closing time), and I wanna ride everything AT LEAST twice (I believe you can learn to love a new coaster only after the second ride...)

Any tips? advices? suggestions?


Crowds usually get bigger by mid day on Saturdays. I tell most people to hit Volcano first Flight of fear 2nd. Those to coasters have a low cycle time for some reason. From there it is pretty much a gamble. You may get very lucky and most people will be hitting Busch Gardens that weekend since Verbolten will be opening on the 18th.
if you want to ride everything 2 times I would get to I305 after Volcano and Flight of fear it is in the same area and can get crowded. But I have yet seen a line over 10 minutes on it. Windseeker is on the other side of the park . You also got fast lane on 15 of the rides at the park so there would be a option as well..
As far as the Crowds it can get a little rough mid afternoons but to me they not as bad as some say unless it is a holiday weekend.

Hope you enjoy your first time at King's Dominion and your entire trip to The US ......
Image

Bull This fat boy can ride I305 .... :lol:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Location: Manassas Va.
Gender: Male

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm

bull24471 wrote:
Sagybp wrote:Hey guys.

Next week I'm flying 6,000 miles for my yearly roller-coaser trip in the US.

This year includes 1 day at KD, 2 days at CP and another 2 days at SFMM (plus some other things in between...).

I tried to adjust my trip days so I'll be in the parks only on weekdays, but no matter how I tried to spin it, KD always fell on a saturday.

Anyway, as opposed to the other parks, this is my FIRST time to KD, and I have no idea what to expect there on a saturday crowd-wise.
I'll be there next saturday (May 19th), by the way.

How's KD when it's crowded? I know CP and SFMM on crowded times, and I can only imagine KD, even when crowded, is less crowded than those two.
Should I prepare myself mentally for buying a fast lane? I only have one day at KD (and I'm planing to be there from the opening till closing time), and I wanna ride everything AT LEAST twice (I believe you can learn to love a new coaster only after the second ride...)

Any tips? advices? suggestions?


Crowds usually get bigger by mid day on Saturdays. I tell most people to hit Volcano first Flight of fear 2nd. Those two coasters have a low cycle time for some reason. From there it is pretty much a gamble. You may get very lucky and most people will be hitting Busch Gardens that weekend since Verbolten will be opening on the 18th.
if you want to ride everything 2 times I would get to I305 after Volcano and Flight of fear it is in the same area and can get crowded. But I have yet seen a line over 10 minutes on it. Windseeker is on the other side of the park . You also got fast lane on 15 of the rides at the park so there would be a option as well..
As far as the Crowds it can get a little rough mid afternoons but to me they not as bad as some say unless it is a holiday weekend.

Hope you enjoy your first time at King's Dominion and your entire trip to The US ......


The waterpark should be open by then so that can help disperse the crowds making wait times shorter for some rides in the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: Koasterking48, madsencarson, Tee1999, thrillseeker4552 and 4 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron