Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1073: KD announces plans for 2015
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby I521YOU » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Lines so long you decided to skip them? How long were the lines please?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Coaster_Fanatic » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

They were probably 30 minutes-1 hour, which is long for KD standards.

X2coasterfreak wrote:So I will be making my first ever trip to King's Dominion Monday July 2. I had a couple questions for you KD enthusiasts. What are crowds like on a Monday in the summer? Would Fast Lane be advisable? And I have people traveling in my group who want to go to the waterpark as well, is that an upcharge to get into the park or is it included? I know that running to Volcano and then Flight of Fear would be the best start to the park, so I definitely plan on heading there first.
Thanks!

Mondays and Wednesdays are usually the least crowded days of the week. Fastlane would be advisable if the Volcano line is long, it would most likely be the longest line there. And yes Waterworks is free with admission to the park. And DEFINITELY go to Flight of Fear and Volcano first. (Usually when I go, Flight of Fear's longest wait is 5-10 minutes, but you never know.)
Last edited by Coaster_Fanatic on Sat May 05, 2012 8:37 am.
My Top 5 Coasters - 1). El Toro 2). Intimidator 305 3). Thunderhead 4). Kingda Ka 5). Apollo's Chariot

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby bull24471 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:58 am

X2coasterfreak wrote:So I will be making my first ever trip to King's Dominion Monday July 2. I had a couple questions for you KD enthusiasts. What are crowds like on a Monday in the summer? Would Fast Lane be advisable? And I have people traveling in my group who want to go to the waterpark as well, is that an upcharge to get into the park or is it included? I know that running to Volcano and then Flight of Fear would be the best start to the park, so I definitely plan on heading there first.
Thanks!

Mondays are usually low crowds as well as Tuesday Wednesdays and Thursdays. Volcano is a must at the beginning of park opening due to long line 30 minutes after park opens. Fof almost the same. Or hit Windseeker then high tail it to Volcano because last 3 times I been to the park all 3 were busy with long lines.Besides those 3 rides should be no more than a 10 to 15 minute wait in line for coasters and such. Do remember Water Works will be open and this does drop the rides lines down as well usua;;y mid day till 5 or so.

Bull This fat boy can ride I305 .... :lol:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Went to the park today & things were ok until the rains came during the mid to late afternoon.

Managed to get on windseeker twice today,including a coveted night ride to enjoy the lights as well as getting in some laps on the usual but passed on most of the flats for the most part aside from americana & the carousel & everything was going fine until we hit anaconda.

I swear I think we're gonna be using the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo from now on for our loose items because while we were on anaconda someone stole my girlfriend's camera out of the bin during our ride...we had gotten off the ride & went down the ramp when we noticed that her camera case was missing so we went back to look for it & I know I put everything in the bin before riding but alas it wasn't in there but lwo & behold we find the case on the floor near the bin closest to the op's booth but minus the camera.

Aside from that things weren't too bad once the rain let up & most rides were near walk ons,we got at least two laps on rebel yell without having to get off & had the entire yellow train to ourselves for a good four laps on Grizz to close out the night....I didn;t get home till about 12:30 AM this morning & am exhausted.Did anyone else brave the monsoon & hit the park today?

Postby bull24471 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:05 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:Went to the park today & things were ok until the rains came during the mid to late afternoon.

Managed to get on windseeker twice today,including a coveted night ride to enjoy the lights as well as getting in some laps on the usual but passed on most of the flats for the most part aside from americana & the carousel & everything was going fine until we hit anaconda.

I swear I think we're gonna be using the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo from now on for our loose items because while we were on anaconda someone stole my girlfriend's camera out of the bin during our ride...we had gotten off the ride & went down the ramp when we noticed that her camera case was missing so we went back to look for it & I know I put everything in the bin before riding but alas it wasn't in there but lwo & behold we find the case on the floor near the bin closest to the op's booth but minus the camera.

Aside from that things weren't too bad once the rain let up & most rides were near walk ons,we got at least two laps on rebel yell without having to get off & had the entire yellow train to ourselves for a good four laps on Grizz to close out the night....I didn;t get home till about 12:30 AM this morning & am exhausted.Did anyone else brave the monsoon & hit the park today?

Didn't get to head out to the park today but had to work tonight so know your pain being in the Monsoons!!! :lmao: I feel your pain on someone stealing your girlfriends Camera. About 3 years ago I got a brand new Fuji Digi Camera stolen . I bought it off of a Truck Driver out west for $40 but it was the thought of someone stealing it peed me off most. Of coarse it happen at Magic Mountain in 2009 but still if it ain't yours don't bother it...... Glad you go to ride Windseeker at night . I still haven't seen it with the lights. Me and my Girlfriend carry a back pack with are cell phones keys and camera in it . Also her daily meds as well as all my junk I need.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun May 06, 2012 11:42 am

^Well at least she went out today & bought a new camera but she definitely won't be bringing it to the park again.

Windseeker lived up to it's name last night as it was shaking a godd bit up there,not to mention rather chilly spinning 301feet up in the air at 9:30at night following the cooler ground temps the rain bought with it.Has anyone ever had a problem at outer hanks with the foodbeing overly salty? I swear the fish & chips there tasted horrible because of the amount of salt....next time I think we'll stick to jukebox diner for dinner but I'm part & partial to victoria pizza myself as their cheese pizza is fabulous IMO as far as park food goes.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby I521YOU » Sun May 06, 2012 10:04 pm

I moved to Virginia last summer and went to the park for the first time on Saturday. We got there around 1:00PM and hit a few rides before a downpour around 4:00PM, but we did Flight of Fear during this time and it mostly cleared up by 6:00PM with little to no lines for anything afterward. Overall, we had a great time. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:
1. Intimidator: This did not disappoint. It was unbelievably fast and intense. It also had about a 2 train wait all day. Could be made better only by having lapbars instead of the straps, but a small complaint overall. I think this slides into my #2 spot behind Maverick. A+
2. Volcano: I was pleasantly surprised. This is an awesome coaster. Starting to show its age in the theming department and fairly mediocre in capacity, but I have heard these will both be addressed this off season. A hidden gem though. Truly awesome. Definitely in my top 5. A+
3. The Towers: Drop Tower and Windseeker were both awesome. Enough said. A
4. Ricochet: This was insane. I expected a fairly boring mouse, but this was flying. No brakes at all throughout the course made some of the hairpin turns seem almost too fast to be possible. We rode this a few times as it was one of the more thrilling rides in the park, we thought. Awesome mouse! A+
5. Dominator: I rode this at GL and it is running much better in its new home. It had a horrible vibration when I rode it on several occasions at GL but had only mild shuffling in the corkscrews on this trip. Was fun and enjoyable overall, better than at GL, but still nothing to write home about. A-
6. The woodies: Rode them all and loved them all. My favorite was Grizzly in the dark and fog after some rain. Great experience even if a little rough. I had heard horror stories about these woodies but they were pretty smooth I thought. Nothing like HW's woodies, but above average I would say. A nice surprise. B+
7. Non ride stuff: Starlight Spectacular was pretty cool. The Eiffel Tower and fountains are pretty cool. This park has pretty nice infrastructure and lots of trees!

CONS:
1. Walkways: It appears that at some point this entire park was asphalted over and they've been slowly working to fix it. There were a few areas that were horribly uneven and in need of repair.
2. Bathrooms: I thought the park overall could use a few more bathrooms, particularly back by Flight of Fear and Intimidator. The ones they had were passable, but a few needed some renovations.

I'm very glad to call this my home park. It is much nicer than a lot of enthusiasts give it credit for! What a great collection of rides. Will be back soon!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun May 06, 2012 10:28 pm

^Were you by any chance riding Grizzly close to closing time in yellow train?We practically had the train to ourselves with only a couple other guys in the back while we were up front.I think the rain certainly helped to make the woodies run faster & a bit smoother than usual.

Postby bull24471 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm

^ Glad to see you enjoyed your selves on the first visit to the park. I have noticed the uneven paths as well and I know some were done to allow drainage in certain areas. And as far as I305 , Dominator, and Grizzly yea there my favorites but then I remember when grizzly was built and rode it on its first season.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby I521YOU » Sun May 06, 2012 11:53 pm

KD, that may have been us. 2 guys and 2 girls at about 8:45 on Grizzly. It was just us and two people in the front row.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!