Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1078: KD announces plans for 2015
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A village is missing its IDIOT!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby XYZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 am

This will really make the capacity better and shorten those long waits tremendously. I wonder if Volcano will get the new Intamin restraints shown in I-305 because they have to buy a new train rather than "borrowing" one.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 am

^Do they not still have the third train from a decade ago? The ride was designed to run with three, and unless they've totally scrapped it for replacement parts then the third is still around!
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:44 am

jzoole wrote:Posted on Screamscape today:

"Park News - (4/20/12) If you visit Kings Dominion this summer, be sure to get your ride on Volcano: The Blast Coaster while you can. The coaster isn’t leaving… but I’ve heard it reported by Coaster Crew that Volcano is expected to close down before the end of the summer to begin a major renovation on that ride and station area that is supposed to increase capacity and allow for three train operation."

If this is true, I guess it sucks for those planning a trip late this summer, but it sounds like awesome news.

It's been discussed for the better part of the last 5 or 6 pages.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1169502#p1169502

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby jzoole » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:45 am

Ah. Sorry!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 pm

jzoole wrote:Posted on Screamscape today:

"Park News - (4/20/12) If you visit Kings Dominion this summer, be sure to get your ride on Volcano: The Blast Coaster while you can. The coaster isn’t leaving… but I’ve heard it reported by Coaster Crew that Volcano is expected to close down before the end of the summer to begin a major renovation on that ride and station area that is supposed to increase capacity and allow for three train operation."

If this is true, I guess it sucks for those planning a trip late this summer, but it sounds like awesome news.

The ride always had three trains but in recent years they've only been using two of them.I don't know how a dual load is gonna work with this ride as you'd somehow need to reconfigure the exit ramp to go between the two stations & under the ride to get back to the midway(likeon firehawk & batwing) otherwise the "new" station will just end up blocked by people exiting from either station.

I sure hope this doesn't interfere with long term plans for 2013 & 2014 resulting in a major ride addition having to be put on hold for a season or two but we shall see.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:08 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:I sure hope this doesn't interfere with long term plans for 2013 & 2014 resulting in a major ride addition having to be put on hold for a season or two but we shall see.

Frankly, I'm all for infrastructure improvments like these, and I'm glad the park may be doing something to increase the capacity of very popular old attraction, rather than just giving up on it. As to whether this will "delay" the addition of a major new attraction, I imagine that the Volcano station upgrade is part of a long-term plan for improvement.

You need to spend your money where you think you need it the most.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:49 pm

^^ Volcano's third train was sent back to the manufacturer if I am correct.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Intimidator305 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 am

http://www.kingsdominion.com/what-s-new/new-fast-lane

Fast Lane now has 15 attractions instead of 10. Avalanche, Dodgem, Hurler, Blue Ridge Tollway, and WaveSwinger have been added to the pass. Also, due to ride capacity restrictions, you can only ride Volcano: The Blast Coaster twice a day with your Fast Lane pass.

I'm glad the park has been aware of the Volcano issues, and has come up with a solution.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 am

^Seems like management at KD has been very pro-active with getting the kinks worked out. Once again, the bitchers are proven wrong.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby megametal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:27 am

Why the heck would anyone need a Fast Lane for Wave Swinger? Even if the line's full it only takes 15-20 minutes to get through.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!