Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1781 - Twisted Timbers Media Day Report w/ POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 pm

:lol: I assumed it was a mistake too but would make for a funny post.

And for the record, that was not doctored/shopped, I did screenshot that just as it looks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

I'm honestly more stunned by Intimidator 305 having a 60 minute wait! I've never seen that coaster more than a 1-2 train wait.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 am

^It can draw a good-sized line on Saturdays (particularly during Haunt).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:03 am

Ah ok. I've never been during Haunt, but I have been on a summer Saturday. That was a rare instance I saw them running two trains though.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:01 pm

boldikus wrote::lol: I assumed it was a mistake too but would make for a funny post.

And for the record, that was not doctored/shopped, I did screenshot that just as it looks.

I know you didn't doctor it, but I knew it couldn't be true having been at the park a week ago when the park had the same size crowds and Anaconda was 60-90 minutes it just didn't make sense. Anaconda still draws a line, people love their loop de loops.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby disownedpear » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

I've been the park quite a lot since 2006 and I've only seen anaconda with more than a station wait maybe three times? All on a saturday. I don't think I have ever seen it with a longer line than Italian Job.

And I see here a lot that nobody ever has to wait for Intimidator, thats true for mabye half my visits other times the wait ranges from 15-60 minutes with one train, which for a giga coaster is not long at all but to say it always has a station wait is simply not true.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made.

Postby bert425 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 pm

larrygator wrote:
boldikus wrote::lol: I assumed it was a mistake too but would make for a funny post.

I know you didn't doctor it, but I knew it couldn't be true having been at the park a week ago when the park had the same size crowds and Anaconda was 60-90 minutes it just didn't make sense. Anaconda still draws a line, people love their loop de loops.

and the bang-da-bangs

tho to be fair, when we were there in late July, while still rough it was not terrible, and only got a minor head-bang coming out of the corkscrew over the water.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 am

You can get "loop-de-loops" on Dominator without the "bang-da-bangs."

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Quick TR from this weekend. Pictures minimal.

So I arrived for opening on Friday night, a little bit after opening at 7. Decent enough crowds...
DSC_0549.JPG

Made my way into Old Virginia and came across one of their roving troupes of musicians.

DSC_0551.JPG

I then Tollway Terror, their driving haunt, as it is known for huge lines and is not available on the Fright Lane program.

DSC_0555.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG
Not too bad.

This is often the best of their haunts, since it allows some space between cars/groups. I have to admit a few of the actors actually got me good.

Hopped on Grizzly with a station wait...
DSC_0559.JPG

And didn't get beat up too bad, so 7/10.

I then hit up Blood on the Bayou, which was actually grouping people to leave some gaps. This was the only house I experienced this on all weekend, much to my disappointment; all of the others (and this one one Saturday night) were just sending continuous streams of people trough. Given that the lines were reaching 2-3 hours on Saturday night, I guess this is necessary, but kinda ruins the experience.

I then went to Anaconda for a decent wait, and found it a lot smoother than I remember. Never go away. 6/10.

Backlot Stunt Coaster and Intimidator's line was full siwtchbacks, so I passed. The Lockdown house had a line out into the midway. Saw Volcano had a fence erected by its entrance/FL queue...hope this doesn't bode poorly for this rides future.

DSC_0570.JPG

I saw Avalance had a substantial line, so I just headed back to the hotel, as I had the entire day at the park the next day ahead.

Day 2, I arrived right at 10:00 for opening and quickly hopped on Dominator (definitely has that B&M rattle, 6/10) and Berserker, which I haven't been on an inverting ship in probably a decade. Classic ride.

Tried to go towards Avalanche with Platinum Pass early entry, but apparently they weren't doing it today, so just hung out for a while until the rest of the park opened.

Hit Woodstock Express for the first public train of the day, then it was onward to Intimidator 305, which had a decent line but didn't take more than 20 mintues. 10/10 as always.

The hopped on front row of Backlot after a brief 2 train wait. 7/10.

Wandered back towards Twisted Timbers and found a substantial line and one-train operations, so decided to grab some breakfast (a double cheeseburger) at the Juke Box Diner. I was the only customer, and had to order via a screen, and then wait about 15 minutes for a super-dry burger. Not impressed.

I then went for Bad Apple, Racer 75, and Drop Tower, all with minimal waits, and decided to head back to the hotel for a nap and to get ready for the night's festivities.

Got back to the park at around 5:45, and bought both Fright Lane and Fastlane Plus passes after seeing the security lines. This would turn out to be a great purchase, especially the Fight Lane.

DSC_0595.JPG

So from here I get a bit fuzzy on the order (forgot to take pictures as I went through), but I did all of the other mazes (except Blackout) and found them par for the course for Cedar Fair haunts - decent artistry but no real scares. No Vacancy: Condemed was nearly black inside but they gave flashlights to just about everyone which eliminated the point. Notably all of the mazes had 2-3 hour lines, extending well beyond their setup queue lines, often backing up to nearby maze lines and getting mixed together.

As for rides, I hit Avalanche (please never remove this, 8/10), Twisted Timbers (10/10), and the swings.

I also got a burger from the food truck Mambo Burger, which took much longer than it should have for a only halfway decent burger.

Day 3, I swung back into the park just for a front row ride on Twisted Timbers, and then made by way back to Delaware.

Next Trip: KD for Winterfest.
Last edited by Mike240SX on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby thrillrider » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 pm

^Where in the park is the "foot" truck? ;)
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!