TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Not on Twisted Timbers...it's the same policy as Steel Vengeance at CP.

Yikes. Do they pat you down or what? Or do they just ask you and hope you don't lie? (Sorry I'm asking so many stupid questions... I have yet to go to a park with such a draconian policy)

In addition to about 3 or 4 large signs, the person at the front is watching pretty closely and asking everyone if they have a phone. You're allowed keys, wallet, etc. in secured pockets, just not a phone. If you wear glasses without a strap, they'll even tell you to put them in your pocket. The ride operators MUST pull down your lapbar, and they don't allow any riders to do it themselves. If anyone does, they unlock that row and reset until the ride op pulls it down. I'm guessing that's also a way of looking for any sort of phone shaped object in people's pockets that may have slipped through.

Ops pushing down the lap bar is a fairly new policy as well, I was there in July and I don't recall them doing that and I was there this past Sunday and they are very strictly enforcing the lap bar policy.

Yikes. Do they pat you down or what? Or do they just ask you and hope you don't lie? (Sorry I'm asking so many stupid questions... I have yet to go to a park with such a draconian policy)

In addition to about 3 or 4 large signs, the person at the front is watching pretty closely and asking everyone if they have a phone. You're allowed keys, wallet, etc. in secured pockets, just not a phone. If you wear glasses without a strap, they'll even tell you to put them in your pocket. The ride operators MUST pull down your lapbar, and they don't allow any riders to do it themselves. If anyone does, they unlock that row and reset until the ride op pulls it down. I'm guessing that's also a way of looking for any sort of phone shaped object in people's pockets that may have slipped through.

Ops pushing down the lap bar is a fairly new policy as well, I was there in July and I don't recall them doing that and I was there this past Sunday and they are very strictly enforcing the lap bar policy.

I spent Memorial Day and the Tuesday after at KD, and they were enforcing the op pushing the lapbar down rule the whole time I was there.

It's standard procedure on Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers and Storm Chaser to have the ops lower the lap bar. I'm not 100 % sure about the RMCs at Six Flags parks (hadn't been on those or followed as closely), but I think it's the same for all RMCs, especially since the incident with NTAG.

It's standard procedure on Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers and Storm Chaser to have the ops lower the lap bar. I'm not 100 % sure about the RMCs at Six Flags parks (hadn't been on those or followed as closely), but I think it's the same for all RMCs, especially since the incident with NTAG.

Iron rattler at six flags fiesta Texas they allow you to pull your own lap bar down... They check the seat belt by pulling the exposed section of strap on the side

image_1419.thumb.jpg.f99aa1d7ae5714d4cf9a6161b7841680.jpg

Was at the park a couple of weeks ago and saw people caught with their phones given passes to leave the line and come back in via the exit once they had used a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

I don't break park rules and I guess if I ever went out to this park i'd be buying fastlane but hypothetically isn't this more of an encouragement almost to take your phone with you than a deterrent? If the line was 45mins to an hour and a greeter at the line entrance warned me that if I take my phone with me to use for the whole queue, I will have to leave the line at the end but get a free pass to essentially get back on with no wait v.s. a long line with no phone, I'd take that exit pass.

NO shocker here, but Dinosaurs Alive! is going extinct October 28th. The DA store will close after Labor Day.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2018/8.30-dinosaurs-alive-extinction

In 2012, guests were invited to take a step back in time to 245 million years and walk amongst 36 pre-historic creatures.

dinos.jpg

Well friends, history is about to repeat itself. Dinosaurs Alive! will become extinct October 28, 2018. While the attraction will remain open through Haunt and the Great Pumpkin Fest, the Dinosaurs Alive! store will close after September 3 as the elves begin their WinterFest transformation. To enter Dinosaurs Alive! and grizzly during your fall visit, follow the signs at the side of the old Dinosaurs Alive! store. Admission to Dinosaurs Alive! can be purchased at the attraction entrance or scan your 2018 Gold, Platinum or Pre-K Pass for admisison.

Be sure to get your final visits in before then, and grab any souvenirs (perfect time to stock up for the holiday gifts!) during our Extinction Sale this weekend, August 31 – September 3.

IRat might be different from most other RMC's b/c it uses Gerstlauer-made trains (as does NTxG)

the restraint bar is very different too (I can ride IR with no issues whatsoever, but TC, TT, and SV all really hurt my thighs from the ejector air).

I spent Memorial Day and the Tuesday after at KD, and they were enforcing the op pushing the lapbar down rule the whole time I was there.

They were heavily enforcing that on Steel Vengeance also when I was at CP way back on Mother's Day, which was only a week after opening. From what I recall, that wasn't being enforced on either Joker or Goliath when I rode them last year.

They were enforcing the Twisted Timbers lapbar rule yesterday, too. And no matter how many announcements they made saying "don't pull down your lapbars," people pulled them down, anyway--so, they unlocked the restraints, raised them, then pushed them down again.

They were heavily enforcing that on Steel Vengeance also when I was at CP way back on Mother's Day, which was only a week after opening. From what I recall, that wasn't being enforced on either Joker or Goliath when I rode them last year.

I've ridden Joker a number of times (closest RMC for me) and they've always had the "ops push down the lap bar" rule.

I rode Goliath last month for the first time and they had the same rule. It was also the shakiest of the five RMCs I've ridden and the only wooden one (shaky coming out of the stall). If I hadn't just ridden Steel Vengeance I would have loved it even more ...

Twisted Timbers (which I rode in May) and S.V. seem to both benefit from the extra set of wheels (double instead of single) under each car. Extremely smooth.

We are planning to visit Kings Dominion next year as our annual park outside of Florida. I305 and Twisted Timbers are on the bucket list for sure. I have to say that I am intrigued by Volcano also, as it definitely looks different from other hanging coasters!

Early planning stage, but just had a couple of timing questions.

First, when does school break up for the summer in Virginia?

Second.....the park does not yet have the hours for 2019 yet on the website (which of course is understandable), but I am going to assume that the park is open on weekdays in June? If not, when is it safe to assume that it is open on a daily basis and not just at weekends.

Just trying to figure out leave picks at work right now, and flights to Richmond from Canada. Thanks in advance.

I strongly suggest going at the very beginning of the season before Volcano has a chance to f*ck itself in spectacular fashion which seems to be an annual tradition. I’m not even being sarcastic.

Generally the park is in full swing on opening day aside from maybe the rapid ride. PS: Busch Gardens Williamsburg is like one hour away.

before Volcano has a chance to f*ck itself in spectacular fashion

Are we talking premature eruption here??

Good to know that opening day onwards is all good....thanks.

We definitely plan on doing BGW again.....that park has special resonance for me as it was my first ever park in the US of A. That is why I rank Apollo's Chariot so highly (at the moment) because it was my first Hyper outside of the UK and I just remember loving it at the time (I almost don't want to go on it again and spoil my memories).

We are planning to visit Kings Dominion next year as our annual park outside of Florida. I305 and Twisted Timbers are on the bucket list for sure. I have to say that I am intrigued by Volcano also, as it definitely looks different from other hanging coasters!

Second.....the park does not yet have the hours for 2019 yet on the website (which of course is understandable), but I am going to assume that the park is open on weekdays in June? If not, when is it safe to assume that it is open on a daily basis and not just at weekends.

Just trying to figure out leave picks at work right now, and flights to Richmond from Canada. Thanks in advance.

Fly porter to washington dc and rent car from there. This way you avoid pearson/ air canada and get free in flight drinks too!

Edited by Doppel Looping

Most of the schools in the area end June 13th or 14th (with some later). Richmond City Schools however is June 7th.

Kings Dominion goes to daily operations starting Memorial Day based on previous calendars (which would start May 27th 2019).

I would try to plan any weekdays starting the Tuesday that week or the following week (through June 7) if you're able to for the least crowds. The week after that shouldn't be too bad either.

Fly into DC, you'll find a lot more options and way better fares. It's only about a 2 hour drive to KD from there. Unless you take I-95 then it'll be about a 6 hour drive!

Fly porter to washington dc and rent car from there.

Fly into DC, you'll find a lot more options and way better fares. It's only about a 2 hour drive to KD from there

Thanks for that, I hadn't considered DC as an option (just because I have flown to Richmond before). Not worried about flying out of YYZ as I live close by (and also work there) and it is a lot easier to get to for me than downtown to city centre airport (although that is a great option if it is easily reachable for folk).

Will start making plans based on the tips here. Will be back in a month or two no doubt with the local questions.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a chance I might be able to make it to the park on Saturday, 10/20. How are the lines with Fast Lane Plus? I know at King's Island that everything is under ten minutes with FL+, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

Also, how's the beer situation there? I remember during our only visit a couple years ago that we could only find one place to get a beer and you couldn't go further than the patio.

The million $ question is . . .

Why is Volcano so finicky with operations?

Because... Intamin.

Just for the record, the other Intamin had absolutely zero downtime the day I visited the park. So...

Because... Launched Intamin.