TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Was anyone at KD on the 19th? At around 10:30 I was in line for I305 and it closed, pretty standard. So I made my way to FoF, but was told it was closed also. Then went to Anaconda and it was also closed. I saw all three open with the park. Then went to Rebel yell, Ricochet and Grizzly and they were all closed! Judging by what I saw every coaster closed at around the same time. We went to Dominator, which was open, and then back over to I305/FoF which were open and by then it seems that every coaster with exception of Volcano had opened back up.

Crazy coincidence or something else?

^ Probably power. KD has had its fair share of power problems/cutouts before, especially during the peak of summer.

Also, I have seen that the new VooDoo themed Haunt maze that's going in the former Club Blood/Blackout building (within Hurler) will be named "Blood of the Bayou" consistent with the chain-wide trend (CP, Wonderland, WOF, etc.).

Edited by Intimidator305

I'm crossing my fingers for good luck at Kings Dominion next weekend. It'll be my first time visiting, and I'd hate for rides (especially Volcano) to be closed. Luckily we have two full days, so hopefully it works out.

I believe Volcano is up and running again, but you never know. That thing is like a temperamental toddler during the summer. If you have two days, you should be fine though.

Volcano was down again last weekend and coasterqueue says it still is. It was running great 10 days ago though, they even opened the back row for what was probably the first time all year.

Supposedly Volcano is down for the remainder of the season. Can anyone confirm? Had been planning another visit next weekend....

PLEASE NO! I'm visiting next weekend for the first time as well. Come on Kings Dominion, you can do it!

Someone reported that the ride was testing today so maybe there's hope!

Somebody I follow on Instagram reported it was open today, but considering its reputation over the last month, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. If it can last through next weekend, that's all that matters to me!

Ok Seeker, how about this: I'll cross my fingers and do a Volcano launch dance for you if you do the same for me and Lightning Rod - where I'll be next weekend for the first time ever. Deal?

Volcano is my favorite ride in the park and it was closed in June when I was at KD. I was so bummed. I live in the area and have ridden it probably in excess of 300 times over the years and I just love it because it's so rerideable. It's super smooth, the launch in the front row is amazing and overall a really unique coaster. Yes it's short and but so is Storm Runner at Hershey and that ride kicks all kinds of ass! I really hope you can get on it. V: The Blast Coaster > I-305 any day for me.

Somebody I follow on Instagram reported it was open today, but considering its reputation over the last month, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. If it can last through next weekend, that's all that matters to me!

Ok Seeker, how about this: I'll cross my fingers and do a Volcano launch dance for you if you do the same for me and Lightning Rod - where I'll be next weekend for the first time ever. Deal?

Volcano is my favorite ride in the park and it was closed in June when I was at KD. I was so bummed. I live in the area and have ridden it probably in excess of 300 times over the years and I just love it because it's so rerideable. It's super smooth, the launch in the front row is amazing and overall a really unique coaster. Yes it's short and but so is Storm Runner at Hershey and that ride kicks all kinds of A$$! I really hope you can get on it. V: The Blast Coaster > I-305 any day for me.

You've got a deal! lol

Interesting that you prefer Volcano over I305. That's definitely an unpopular opinion!

I am heading to Kings Dominion and Busch gardens on August 14th. I'll have the 15th, 16th, and 17th to visit the parks. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether I should do two days at Kings Dominion and Soak City and one day at Busch Gardens. OR should I do one day at Kings Dominion, one day at Busch Gardens, and one day at Water Country USA?

Is it worth it to spend a day at Water Country? Or should I just do 2 days at Kings Dominion since they have free admission to their water park?

Also, any tips at these parks? Is fast lane worth it during the week?

Is spending two days at Busch Gardens an option? I would pick that since Busch Gardens is absolutely amazing and a park you shouldn't rush through.

Kings Dominion is a great park, but Busch is on a separate level. I have never done Water Country so someone else may need to speak up about it, but when I've been to Kings Dominion I've never had an issue with lines. Volcano is the only ride I've ever had a bad wait for, so you could easily hit both the ride side and water park in a day.

I am heading to Kings Dominion and Busch gardens on August 14th. I'll have the 15th, 16th, and 17th to visit the parks. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether I should do two days at Kings Dominion and Soak City and one day at Busch Gardens. OR should I do one day at Kings Dominion, one day at Busch Gardens, and one day at Water Country USA? Is it worth it to spend a day at Water Country? Or should I just do 2 days at Kings Dominion since they have free admission to their water park?

I think 2 days at KD is overkill, the park isn't all that big and if ride lines were to be long you could do Fast Lane. I doubt you'll need to do that though on the dates you'll be in the area. However, it depends how much time you want to spend in the waterpark. I'd skip it, personally because unfortunately it's located way in the back of the park where you pay for a bunny and change into swim stuff, then walk for 10 minutes down a path to the actual slides and wave pool. It's inconvenient.

Busch Gardens is a totally different type of park with a lot more hills but there are significantly less rides. It's extremely pretty. I've never had a problem spending only a day there. It's been at least 10 years since I was at Water Country USA but I remember it being awesome... maybe someone who's been recently can chime in if it's still that way? With all that said, I'd personally spend 1 day at KD getting on whatever rides I wanted first, and then water park 2nd if you really want, then one day at BGW and one day at Water Country USA. Be sure to post about your trip when you're back!

Water Country is nice. I would recommend that over the water park at KD. And I agree, 2 days at KD are a bit much unless you have a family and take your time covering the park including kiddie land.

I am heading to Kings Dominion and Busch gardens on August 14th. I'll have the 15th, 16th, and 17th to visit the parks. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether I should do two days at Kings Dominion and Soak City and one day at Busch Gardens. OR should I do one day at Kings Dominion, one day at Busch Gardens, and one day at Water Country USA?

Is it worth it to spend a day at Water Country? Or should I just do 2 days at Kings Dominion since they have free admission to their water park?

Also, any tips at these parks? Is fast lane worth it during the week?

I feel like a day in each park is worth it. KD is such a fun park - I LOVE their coaster collection as well they have lots of flat rides. I actually enjoy the water park there a lot but I LOVE water parks. I am weird and find BG as just okay. Don't get me wrong the park is one of the most beautiful I ever been to but I am more into the rides at parks and BG lacks in my opinion. The only coasters I find enjoyable there are Alphengiest and Loch Ness Monster. The rest are boring and unforgettable. I prefer the coasters at KD honestly. Water Country USA is definitely worth an entire day visit. They have some pretty awesome slides there.

I have this weird feeling they're going to call it the "Derecho" a storm known throughout Virginia from a few years ago. But that's just wild speculation on my part but it would be a cool coaster name!