TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I love the Coco Key makeover!!! All the people bitching are just dumb. They're still keeping the free beaches and free lunch! Now they've added more stuff for those of us who don't want to just sit on a beach all day! Best of both worlds people!!!

Also, I look forward to taking Jack Crouse up 450' on that balloon!

Mmm, I wish more water slide setups looked liked this one does. Very "artsy" and colourful.

Then again, this is mainly for cruises, so they can go a bit more interesting, with their waterparks.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Wow, the Coco Cay renovations look incredible! We just got back from a RC cruise that stopped at their other private island, Labadee Haiti, and we absolutely loved it. Labadee had so many activities for the whole family (we have kids 14, 10, and 8) and was the highlight of our trip. I will definitely be taking another RC cruise to see Coco Cay when the additions are completed.

I thought this was hilarious.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/teen-given-free-cruise-in-exchange-for-snapchat-account

PROSPECT, VA (WWBT) - Carnival Cruise is a well-known brand, and as such a social media account with that name carries value for the company.

So, when a 15-year-old fan of sailing the high seas snatched up the account on Snapchat before the cruise line could, the company pulled out all the stops to get him to relinquish control.

Darian Lipscomb, of Prospect, has been on four cruises with the company, according to a Carnival press release, and he’ll get a fifth one free on Carnival’s newest ship, Horizon, in exchange for the social media handle.

The teen didn’t know the company was after him, but when signs and billboards featuring Shaquille O’Neal, Carnival’s "Chief Fun Officer," started popping up around his hometown, it was hard to keep the secret.

Lipscomb agreed to turn over control of the account and will fly to Barcelona, Spain, for a ride on Horizon’s first voyage, and his first European excursion.

He’ll also receive some other gifts throughout the trip, which Carnival will chronicle on Snapchat, because now it can.

That RCCL Coco Cay upgrade looks amazing, I haven't been on a cruise in a while, and haven't taken the kids on one yet, but that's exactly the kind of feature that would entice me to consider one for our next vacation.

YES!!! Exactly!

Speaking of kids and cruises, just generally speaking does anyone have any good or bad tips for cursing (edit: cruising) with younger kids? What's a good age to take them on their first cruise? Mine are coming up on 3 and 6 so we figured we're probably getting close.

We took our 3.5yo on a 3 day Disney cruise last year, and he really liked it, as did we. Service was phenomenal, and the waiters at dinner times were tremendous at keeping him engaged and happy. The room was big enough for the 3 of us, and well designed to maximize utility. The shows are the right length for littles, pools are a win, movies all day, etc etc. Only downside was him not being *quite* big enough for the Aquaduck. He was fine on Castaway Cay for the slides there, with a lifevest, as they plunge into fairly deep water.

We liked it well enough that we booked literally the same itinerary again this year - he'll probably be more into the kids club areas now that he's had a year of PK under his belt, which another big potential plus for us.

RCCL looks like they want our money in a couple years now though!

This is just way to awesome NOT to share!!

parton-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-800x600.jpg

DOLLY PARTON TO LAUNCH NEW CRUISE SHIP – PARTON OF THE SEAS!!

Dolly Parton has made a surprise Easter announcement that she has partnered with Royal Caribbean to launch a brand new faith-based cruise ship to be called “Parton of the Seas.” Representatives from both companies are very excited to bring something completely new to the Caribbean with Dolly’s mix of faith and southern hospitality that has made her Smoky Mountain attractions so popular over the years.

Why Dolly Parton?

Royal Caribbean is known for naming their ships in such as way that all end with “of the Seas” such as “Allure of the Seas”, “Symphony of the Seas”, “Harmony of the Seas”, etc. As the team began preparing to name their next cruise ship, they started seeing a trend in their names with “Harmony”, “Symphony”, “Radiance”, “Allure”, “Serenade”, “Endurance”, etc. and began brainstorming around the idea that these words could actually describe a single person. Veteran Royal Caribbean cruise director, Marc Walker, chimed in with his experience at Dollywood and being blow away with the southern hospitality at her attractions. The “wink” in his facebook post was apparently a huge clue that we missed years ago!

The team emphatically agreed that Dolly Parton was the perfect person to partner with on their next cruise ship…they internally referred to it as a PARTONership.

Why “Parton of the Seas”?

When asked about Dolly’s reaction when initially contacted by Royal Caribbean, she replied in only the way we would expect Dolly to respond: “I was shocked! I mean, I shouldn’t be, really…because people always joke about how buoyant I am, so I guess you could say it was meant to be!”

Dolly went on to describe how the name was chosen by saying, “My faith has always been a big part of everything I do and every attraction that I am involved with. When I was a little girl, I would hear the story of Moses and the parting of the seas, but growing up in the Smoky Mountains we didn’t pronounce it ‘parting’. It sounded like more like ‘partin of the seas’ which is exactly what came to mind when they asked me to put my name on a ship! And so it all made perfect sense for our faith-based cruise ship to be named ‘Parton of the Seas’ with Moses leading the way…but if he cause us to run aground, he’s fired!” as Dolly chuckled.

Entertainment on Parton of the Seas

parton-of-the-seas-entertainment-1.jpg

Dolly is bringing her Smoky Mountain style of entertainment to the Caribbean complete with the music of gospel, bluegrass, and country along with broadway quality dancing, acting, lighting, and hair. The featured show will be her incredibly popular “Coat of Many Colors” which they claim will not be shown during formal nights on the ship due to the excessive tear-jerking moments and running of makeup that is sure to ruin formal night photos. Throughout the ship, there will also be numerous bands and performers playing tunes of the Smokies. Who knows, you might even turn a corner and find Dolly and Kenny singing “Islands in the Stream!”

Food on Parton of the Seas

parton-of-the-seas-dining.jpg

Executive Chef, April Fultz, described dining on Parton of the Seas by saying, “When we surveyed past guests on our Royal Caribbean cruises, many of them described confusion with fancy meals such as Spaghetti Arriabbata, Burrata, Pappardelle, Salmon Gravlax, and more. So we decided to make our main dining room feature a family-style southern meal because everyone knows what fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, and banana pudding are…if they don’t, then they’re on the wrong ship! We’ll also have unlimited champagne of the south…otherwise known as sweet tea.” What we are most excited about, though, is possibly the sweetest thing to ever hit the Caribbean…Dollywood’s cinnamon bread! There will be numerous concession stands throughout the ship offering fresh loaves of this amazing, sugary, sticky, goodness. It was voted as quite possibly the best thing to eat at any theme park in the nation…and possibly now the Caribbean! The only thing we’re wondering is if it will be available through room service…24/7…we’re asking for a friend of course.

Parton of the Seas Pool Deck

parton-of-the-seas-lazy-river.jpg

In the category of “why didn’t someone think of this sooner”, Parton of the Seas will feature a lazy river on the pool deck! This will allow guests to lazily float the entire length of the ship. Research shows that typical pools on ships are filled with people just sitting or floating along the edge and not really “swimming,” so the lazy river is perfect for those that just want to be lazy!

Putting the “cabin” back in Cabins

parton-of-the-seas-cabins.jpg

Staterooms on cruise ships are often referred to as “cabins”, and so Dolly personally requested to put some “cabin” back into cabins! Each cabin will be themed like a Smoky Mountain cabin with an ample amount of wood and even a fireplace for those chilly Caribbean nights that dip into the 80’s! The closet door also serves as a floatation device big enough for Rose AND Jack…because Dolly prefers happy endings.

When will Parton of the Seas set sail?

As much as we wish Parton of the Seas would set sail soon, sadly she won’t make it beyond this blog post…because it’s our annual April Fool’s joke! Did you have fun along with us dreaming of a Dolly Dreamliner? Be sure to share with your friends on facebook to spread the fun and laughs today! And who knows…maybe a cruise line will pick up on some of these ideas and let southern hospitality set sail someday! Happy April Fool’s day and happy Easter from all of us at Pigeon Forge TN Guide!

Source.

They had me right up until the very end. Though I'll admit... I'd be all for a Dolly themed Cruise Ship!!

A Dolly Parton/Dollywood themed Royal Caribbean Cruise ship... complete with southern hospitality meals... Are they asking for the ship to tip?

In all seriousness, I love this! And yay for finally bringing a lazy river onboard a ship!!!

A Dolly Parton/Dollywood themed Royal Caribbean Cruise ship... complete with southern hospitality meals... Are they asking for the ship to tip?

In all seriousness, I love this! And yay for finally bringing a lazy river onboard a ship!!!

And you can play Dolly themed slots at Atlantis as well.

They had me at the buffet AND cinnamon bread available! And the lazy river onboard.

We're starting to enter dangerous territory with cinnamon bread on a cruise ship. I don't even want to know how many loaves I would end up eating . I could have one for breakfast, a nice afternoon snack, dessert......

I do seriously hope ships take the lazy river concept to reality someday, though. Even if it's small-ish and elevated almost similar to the Aquaduck on the Disney ships. I guess the problem with that is balancing the ship with the water in the river. The pool are relatively easy to consider since they're usually on the center top of the ship. Plus, nobody would want to get out of it if it was available.

[/Wishful Thinking]