TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Hi everybody,

I am taking my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the seas in about 90 days on its Southern Caribbean itinerary. I am unsure of what to expect food and cabin wise on the ship (As I am going with a larger group we booked the Grand Suite), and was wondering if the upcharge restaurants and experiences are worth it, as well as what to do on shore at the ports (St. Maarten, Oranjestad, Willemstad, and Kralendijk). Any advice on the Voyager-class ships would be welcome as well. Really excited for this!

Hi everybody,

I am taking my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the seas in about 90 days on its Southern Caribbean itinerary. I am unsure of what to expect food and cabin wise on the ship (As I am going with a larger group we booked the Grand Suite), and was wondering if the upcharge restaurants and experiences are worth it, as well as what to do on shore at the ports (St. Maarten, Oranjestad, Willemstad, and Kralendijk). Any advice on the Voyager-class ships would be welcome as well. Really excited for this!

With the ports, it depends on what you want to do or what interests you. I'll throw out that Bonaire has excellent snorkeling and diving that is far above average for the Caribbean. I can forward to you the company I went with just a couple of months ago: it was $65 USD/person, had a couple really long drift snorkels, and they even provided lunch.

Voyager-class ships are nice. They've updated Adventure and the aqua park stuff is probably really cool. I personally don't care that much for the specialty dining (or dining period) on most RCCL ships now and would suggest you'd be just as well off ordering the special steak in the main dining room if you want to go that route.

Hi everybody,

we just got off a Freedom Class ship (Liberty of the Seas) that's one bump up from Voyager class.

I have a review on here "No Lions or Tigers, but Bears, oh my". . where I talk about (among other things), the food, and amenities.

slightly more on Liberty, bigger ship. . but similar.

if Giovanni's is offered, I'd recommend it, it's worth the upcharge. As is Chops (we heard).

Johnny Rocket's and Sabor?. . not so much.

Hey guys! I am an avid cruiser, I love it! Normally, I travel with Royal but I have also been on a carnicval ship...once.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone's experience was with booking. I normally book directly with the cruise line, and get what ever deal they are offering. But, I want to know what (if any) draw backs there are if you book through a travel site? Some of them are showing better deals then then the Royal site.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

While I have never used a travel agent, I can say that the best deals I have ever received have been onboard the ship. When we cruise we will book our next cruise on our current trip and the deals they throw at you are some of the best easily. The deals typically get better as the cruise goes on too so don't book within the first few days of travel. I usually wait till the last 2 or 3 days.

Hey guys! I am an avid cruiser, I love it! Normally, I travel with Royal but I have also been on a carnicval ship...once.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone's experience was with booking. I normally book directly with the cruise line, and get what ever deal they are offering. But, I want to know what (if any) draw backs there are if you book through a travel site? Some of them are showing better deals then then the Royal site.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

There aren't any drawbacks. Literally zero. Cruiselines basically just take the fee the website or travel agent would for themselves when you book through them. The only drawbacks are for those lines which are more challenging to book through a 3rd party like Windstar. But I'm gonna guess you aren't sailing them anyways...

The main drawback of using one of the online/actual Travel Agencies is that you no longer have the right to talk directly to Royal Caribbean (or whichever line you're booking). They will insist that you go through your agent. If there are any problems or questions or concerns you have to go an extra step which can take a day or two (or more with some of those online agencies). We have a specific cruise only guy we use because we've used him for years, he's quick to respond, and can offer us better deals than you can get directly though the cruise line. That being said, there have been a few times I've wanted to jump on a price reduction or change something and I miss out because I have to go through him instead of the company directly.

• 4 weeks later...

There is seriously something wrong with these people. I did a Carnival Cruise once and will never make that mistake again. Even if they gave me a free trip, I wouldn't go on a Carnival cruise

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/04/17/carnival-cruise-couple-record-sailings/100542648/

Cruise crazy: Couple sets record with 200th Carnival sailing - For many cruisers, Caribbean-focused Carnival is a starter brand — a line you sail a few times before you move on to more globe-circling operators such as Holland America or Princess.

Not so for Bernard and Janice Caffary.

Carnival this month celebrated the Florida couple's 200th cruise with the line — a record for the Miami-based company.

The Caffarys crossed the 200 cruise mark on a sailing of the 2,974-passenger Carnival Liberty out of Port Canaveral, Fla.

The couple achieved the feat in just 15 years, meaning they averaged more than 13 cruises a year with Carnival. In total, they have spent 878 days at sea with the brand — the equivalent of nearly two and a half years.

Inside the Carnival ships that made cruising history

Carnival honored the Caffarys' 200th cruise with welcoming signage throughout the Port Canaveral terminal where the ship is based, and they were the guests of honor during special VIP celebrations.

The line says the couple already has 30 more Carnival sailings booked.

http://Disney Cruise Ship Makes Historic Journey Through New Panana Locks

April 29, 2017

(4 p.m. EDT) -- Disney Wonder today became the first passenger vessel to sail through the Panama Canal's new expanded locks, the first of 18 cruise ships scheduled to make the journey during the 2017-2018 season.

The transit represents a major milestone: The expanded locks, which opened in 2016, allow larger vessels to make take the journey; the older lock system is smaller, and many modern cruise ships can't fit through.

"The original Panama Canal has been a cruise destination for many years," Panama Canal Deputy Administrator Manuel Benitez said in a press release. "Today’s historic transit marks the beginning of cruise lines being able to include the new locks as part of their itineraries, opening up additional transit options and allowing cruise passengers to witness first-hand this feat of modern engineering."

Indeed, the Panama Canal is a popular cruising itinerary, with a short season that runs in late spring and again in early fall. Passengers often sail from a West Coast port, such as San Diego or San Francisco, through the Canal to a Florida port, or vice versa. Disney Wonder is traveling west, on a cruise that began in Port Canaveral and will finish in San Diego, where it will ultimately reposition and begin the Alaska cruise season.

Disney Wonder is 984 feet long and 32 meters wide. Other cruise lines also have larger ships that will make the Panama Canal transit for the first time this year, including Caribbean Princess, which is wider than the maximum allowed through the old locks. It will is scheduled to make the transit this fall. The expanded Canal locks are 70 feet wider and 18 feet deeper than the locks in the original Canal.

--By Colleen McDaniel, Senior Executive Editor

disneywonderpanamacanal.jpg.b59c974e193793a06012458bdff8a1b0.jpg

Just found out today my family is planning a 3 day Cruise to the Bahamas on the Disney Dream then 2 days at WDW in October for my mom's 50th birthday. I'm 16 and my brother's 19 but you're never too old for Disney

Really excited, but can anyone let me know the best things to do on the Dream? Like I've been researching but I want to know the best places to eat and all that.

Just found out today my family is planning a 3 day Cruise to the Bahamas on the Disney Dream then 2 days at WDW in October for my mom's 50th birthday. I'm 16 and my brother's 19 but you're never too old for Disney

Really excited, but can anyone let me know the best things to do on the Dream? Like I've been researching but I want to know the best places to eat and all that.

Well, since I've been on a total of 5 Disney cruises with my family (and I've sailed on all four ships), there is just so much to do.

Is this your first time on a Disney cruise? As far as food (not sure if you read up on this yet), but Disney offers a unique thing called "rotational dining", where during dinner, you, your servers, and other tables will rotate to a different restaurant each night (of the three main dining rooms, which on the Dream are Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Palace). Each restaurant has different theming and menus. They're all good in my opinion! There's also the Cabanas, which is the ship's main buffet, containing numerous food options. We usually eat there for breakfast and lunch most days. You do have the option to eat there for dinner if interested. The food is one of the best parts of the cruise! Also be sure to check out "Flo's Cafe" for some quick food and pizza outside on Deck 11. Deck 11 is also home to "Vanellope's Sweets and Treats".

There are so many activities to do on board. Be sure to check out Vibe, which is the teen club on the ship. Since you mentioned your brother being 19 years old, have him check out the "1820 Society", for those who are from 18 to 20 years old. Although they don't have a designated "club", they are allowed into the adult areas but just can't drink. They can't be allowed into the teen spaces, though.

Honestly it's so hard to describe everything. You have character appearances around the ship, various movies, and don't forget about the incredible shows and entertainment!! Nothing compares to the entertainment onboard a Disney cruise.

Oh, and you'll love Pirate Night!

Hope this was enough info to give! As I mentioned before, there's is just too much to discuss really. You all will love the ship!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amazing show yesterday for the start of "The Bridge" sail race between St-Nazaire and New-York.

"The Bridge" is a race in honor of American soldiers who came in St-Nazaire in 1917 June.

The A380 fly over Queen Mary 2 during the start and we can see Symphony of the Seas under construction :

• 3 weeks later...
This was actually a really interesting watch...

It's like a REALLY early on Royal Caribbean "Oasis Class" ships.

Incredible concept...but the contract with fincantieri is confirmed ? Sorry I have not understand all the video , my english isn't very good.

Another futurist ship concept (this one is confirmed for MSC in 2022 but no details at this time) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYiWf9VV-OI

• 3 weeks later...

So thought I would share my excitement!!

My partner and I finally booked our "wedding" cruise!! And I say "wedding" because apparently since the cruise ship is registered in the Bahamas, and the Bahamas doesn't recognize same sex marriages we technically couldn't get married at sea. We could only get married while the ship was docked in a US port. BORING!!! So instead, we are doing a "same sex symbolic ceremony" (Still a wedding to us!) The ceremony will take place in the North Star on-board Anthem of The Seas during a sea day... Some where between Haiti, and the US!

Super excited for this!! (And we kept it practical, and just went for a ocean-view stateroom with a large balcony!)