TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Wow, thanks for that info Bill. When we were originally planning our trip it was for mid June and I remember checking that maintenance page out and wasn't concerned. I had forget to look again when we moved the dates to May (wayyyyy cheaper hotel rates). We are flying out Saturday afternoon so I will push for Friday if everyone can wait that long. Kumba was one of the ones I was most excited for. Does maintenance ever end early?

Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. I have seen it run late but it's a holiday weekend and I'm sure they'll bust it to get it open on time.

As for single day ticket deals, just keep an eye on their socials if you're only going to Busch Gardens. If you're going to Orlando they sell a combo ticket with SeaWorld for 2 days / 2 parks that's a great deal.

Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. I have seen it run late but it's a holiday weekend and I'm sure they'll bust it to get it open on time.

As for single day ticket deals, just keep an eye on their socials if you're only going to Busch Gardens. If you're going to Orlando they sell a combo ticket with SeaWorld for 2 days / 2 parks that's a great deal.

Thanks, I'll do that and just see what they offer. We have talked about visiting Orlando for a day but weren't sure on what attraction to see...a Sea World / Busch Gardens pass would for sure make that an easier decision.

Yeah, I'm inherently biased towards SeaWorld but the ticket is really an amazing deal, especially if you have kids and a lot of tickets you need to buy.

It's $89.99 for a day at Busch Gardens Tampa. It's $10 more for a 2 day, 2 park ticket. Every other park in Orlando starts around $100 per person per day (and that's for a non park hopper ticket which is impractical at either Universal Park. Hollywood Studios or Epcot).

Yeah, and for $170 you can get admission to SeaWorld, Aquatica, Busch Gardens, and Adventure Island for 14 days with parking included, which is really a great value. Might not fit into everyone's trip schedule but Aquatica is worth a solid half day, and the ability to come and go as you please to any park over 2 weeks could really be put to some good use, especially in the summer when hours are longer.

Wow, in looking up those 2 day tickets...yeah, that's gonna be the plan. Probably drive in to Orlando for a day at Sea World early in the week and then head to Busch Gardens on Friday. Hopefully weather doesn't play havoc with anything. Thanks guys!

So, I'm going to BGT with my three oldest kiddos, the last full week of April, and we're also doing SWO, so we'll be getting the two park ticket (and making use of the free shuttle!). However, going through the other ticket add-ons, I noticed Quick Queue for both parks was only $20 per person (as long as I go to BGT on the Wednesday that week), and even as a staunch "I can't stand line skipping systems, and won't pay extra for them!" person, I'm pretty darn tempted at that price! What I'm not sure about, because I've never really paid attention when it's been discussed before, is how they work at those two parks (primarily BGT though). Do they give you a time to come back to get right on the ride? Or do you just go through a separate line, like at CP? Thanks for the assistance!

Oh, and believe me coasterbill, I made sure to check that rehab schedule when planning this trip a couple months ago, and actually bumped my trip up out of the first week in May, due to Kumba going down at the end of April! Definitely don't want the kids - or myself even - to miss out on that awesome coaster!

Honestly on a weekday during the last week of April, it may be a waste getting Quick Queue, even at that price. All the schools in the state will be in session during that time since Spring Break/Easter is early this year. The only rides that will have more than a couple train waits will be Cheetah Hunt and Cobra's Curse. Montu, Kumba and SheiKra will likely be walk-on. I'd wait until you're at the park to purchase personally. I've seen countless people waste $ getting it and there were literally no lines whatsoever on slow days at BGT. (Well maybe it wasn't a waste to them, but to each their own...lol)

As far as how they work, QQ has a separate line either at the entrance or exit of the rides. You just enter when you want to ride.

^Thanks for your response! I ended up moving my vacation up a week, and the Wednesday price for QQ was $50, so I'm going to pass on getting it. I'll take my chance, and hope that it's not too busy, like you report!

Another question though, before I finalize my purchases... Are the All Day Dining plans a good deal at BGT and SWO? I've found before at KI, that when going with my kids, I can get just two plans, and then eating every couple of hours, sharing the two entrees among the four of us works just fine. How are the available food selections at these two parks though, I guess is the main thing I'm wondering.

Most of what is available on the dining plans is mediocre-decent park food. Zambezi smokehouse offers barbecue on the more decent side, so I'll recommend that. Also, at the Serengeti Overlook Pub, there was a combo deal that offered pizza, chicken, and fries as one meal on the plan the last I ate there (all mediocre). But if you're trying to feed a family, it might be the best deal. Though personally, I'd just stock up on Bacon Pretzel Furies at Twisted Tails.

Even if it does end up being busy, I'm sure you can add Quick Queue after the fact.

As for the all-day dining deal, I haven't done it. Looking at the restaurants, it doesn't include Twisted Tails Pretzels though. The bacon wrapped pretzels are amazing and a must in a visit to the park.

Ok, thanks guys! I'm definitely going to want a Bacon Wrapped Pretzel (or two), and if that's not on there, is does give me pause about the rest of food options. I'll likely pass, and we'll just eat one meal in park, as per usual (and Bacon Wrapped Pretzels!)

This site has never let me down on tips and advice for visiting a theme park for the first time. We'll be at Busch Gardens friday and saturday of Easter weekend. I would expect large crowds. We'll arrive at rope drop. What's the best route to take to ensure we hit all of the major rides before the lines start expanding? Also, best place for a decent lunch (by theme park food standards)?

I downloaded the app. I was hoping to get wait times, no luck. Do they post wait times within the park, if not at ride entrance, do they have wait time boards?

Thanks in advance. We've done the Universal and Mouse trips before, we are excited to do something a little different.

^ If you're a fan of BBQ, eat at the Smokehouse near Sheikra. Not the best BBQ ever but for theme park food its excellent and you get a lot for your money. Two people could easily split a platter and a side and be stuffed. Also get a bacon pretzel in Pantopia.

As far as how to hit the park to ensure everything - The app does display wait times, I guess you have to be in the park. The rides also have the waits listed at the entrances. Just get Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse outta the way, then hit Falcons Fury. The B&Ms shouldn't have ridiculously long waits. Here's my report from a few months ago. Also Canobie Coaster just posted a good one as well.

Have fun, its a great park!

I was at the park this past weekend and the Serengeti Overlook upstairs buffet was closed all weekend long. The Pub downstairs was open but upstairs was roped off. Not sure if this is another cutback or not. It was open when I visited last month in Feb. For the deal, it's the best option when eating at BGT. I like the Zambia Smokehouse...But be prepared to spend about $25 a person. If you do that, you might as well go ahead and get the all day dining meal for $35 and be able to eat all day long.

What's the best route to take to ensure we hit all of the major rides before the lines start expanding?

All the wait times are posted outside all the major rides. Always hit Cheetah Hunt first because it always carries the longest line. I always make it my last ride of the night too because of the wait (If you want 2 rides). This weekend it'll have over an hour wait or longer all day long...So get there first if you don't want to wait (And ride the front row). Cobra's Curse should be your next ride as it's right around the corner from Cheetah Hunt and if you get there at rope drop, then you'll beat the crowds to this coaster and won't wait long. Then ride Montu...You may wait 5 min for this ride or it may be a complete walk on. From there, walk back to the front gate and keep walking over where Gwazi is and see the Kangaroos on your way to Sheikra. If you're into kiddie credits, hop on Air Grover along the way. By the time you get to Sheikra, you may have a little wait, but not too long. Ride it and then take a break and eat at Zambia Smokehouse and get some cool pics of Sheikra while you're there. Let your food settle, ride the train there at Stanleyville around the park or ride Stanley Falls. If you ride the train, get off at the Congo Station and ride Kumba there in the Congo. See the Orangutans and Tigers there also. See the Opening Night Critters show at Pantopia, and ride Falcon's Fury. Get a pretzel and either wait for Sand Serpent and Scorpion or bypass them and ride them later after visiting Edge of Africa and the Myombe Reserve. Might as well watch Turn it Up too, it's a great show. By that time it'll be time to get another ride on Montu before getting that last ride on Cheetah Hunt in. This was my path this past weekend when I visited BGT. I had a great time. I would recommend this path to anyone. Just know, the park is massive. It's very hard to walk this park twice.

This site has never let me down on tips and advice for visiting a theme park for the first time. We'll be at Busch Gardens friday and saturday of Easter weekend. I would expect large crowds. We'll arrive at rope drop. What's the best route to take to ensure we hit all of the major rides before the lines start expanding?

Taking the park layout into the equation and making this somewhat sensible since the place is huge...

Cheetah Hunt

Cobra's Curse

Montu (it's right there, you might as well even though lines won't be an issue ever)

Falcon's Fury

Scorpion

Sand Serpent

Kumba

Sheikra

If water rides are a priority, ride Stanley Falls after Sand Serpant and double back for Sheikra and Kumba. It's line is the absolute worst.

I was at the park this past weekend and the Serengeti Overlook upstairs buffet was closed all weekend long. The Pub downstairs was open but upstairs was roped off. Not sure if this is another cutback or not. It was open when I visited last month in Feb. For the deal, it's the best option when eating at BGT.

oh, I hope that was just temporary/staffing for that weekend.

we thought that was, by far, the best food in the park for a full meal (not counting the Pretzels, of course . . they're in a category by themselves).

the fried chicken was absolutely spectacular, and the jambalaya was quite good too when we were there.

IMG_0342.thumb.JPG.bce9b2d34e532379883373388b4873ce.JPG

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.b68b8cc2ebd22160b10eb6f967e32b09.JPG

This site has never let me down on tips and advice for visiting a theme park for the first time. We'll be at Busch Gardens friday and saturday of Easter weekend. I would expect large crowds. We'll arrive at rope drop. What's the best route to take to ensure we hit all of the major rides before the lines start expanding?

Taking the park layout into the equation and making this somewhat sensible since the place is huge...

Cheetah Hunt

Cobra's Curse

Montu (it's right there, you might as well even though lines won't be an issue ever)

Falcon's Fury

Scorpion

Sand Serpent

Kumba

Sheikra

If water rides are a priority, ride Stanley Falls after Sand Serpant and double back for Sheikra and Kumba. It's line is the absolute worst.

I'd suggest taking the train around from CH/CC/Montu, over to Pantopia for FF/Scorpion. . etc.. it will let you get a great view of the Serengeti plains too.

you'll be tempted to do the skyride over (since it's right next to Cheetah Hunt), but the stop by Pantopia is closed - it's just a pass thru -- so you can't get off for Falcon's Fury.

DO ride the skyride, but don't use it to get to Pantopia.

what do you think Bill.. good advice?

I really do appreciate all of the tips and advice for navigating this park! Thanks a ton. We are looking forward to this visit.

Haven't been to this park in many, many years. Believe it or not, AB used to give all of its employees free tickets to Sea World and Busch Gardens. I believe every employee got 10 tickets per year. We would make the trip every summer from MO. Williamsburg, Tampa, San Diego.

Going to the park on Monday! Looking forward to it. Does anybody know when the spring break crowds invade the park? If it's expected to be buisy, we are going to get fast lane.

Spring break in Hillsborough County ended last week, so I wouldn't imagine Quick Queue would be necessary. Have a great trip!

Before the gloom and doom posts come along in thinking they're removing the elephants or the park is in full demise mode (trust I've seen in it in another forum already today), the reasoning is as follows:

touringcentralflorida.com/2018/03/23/asian-elephant-spike-leaves-busch-gardens-tampa/

The hope was Spike would mate with the youngest member of the Busch Gardens herd, but that didn’t happen during his residency at the park. As part of the Species Survival Program (SSP), animals are moved around in participating zoos in an effort to maintain a stable captive population of endangered animals that is genetically diverse.