TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

I'd allow a full day between whatever I do and SFMM

Guess a better question to help me plan is: Besides the famous coaster, what is there at SCBB? How much time could be spent there for a first timer?

Edited by JJLehto

Along with the rides mentioned above, the other ones I really liked were:

Cave Man Adventure- Very quirky dark ride.

Wipeout- Indoor break dance with a very good cycle.

Fireball- Great airtime on this frisbee.

Undertow- Good spinning coaster. During my visit in 2014, this ride had an hour wait while everything else was less than 20-30 min.

Logger's Revenge- Unique layout for a flume.

Double Shot- Very strong air time and a great view.

Rock-O-Plane- Fun classic flat ride.

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is a really great park.

Yeah, Flight Deck too. Patriot seems, well it's fine I'm sure just quite out of date. I suppose it's improved from old simply by being a sit down now but yeah, I thought about it and decided SCBB is the better choice for sure

Yeah, Flight Deck too. Patriot seems, well it's fine I'm sure just quite out of date. I suppose it's improved from old simply by being a sit down now but yeah, I thought about it and decided SCBB is the better choice for sure

It will all depend when WCB is (if its happening this year). If its after Labor Day like in past years than unfortunetely both CGA and the Boardwalk will be closed during the week. If its during the summer, then the boardwalk is open until 11PM on many nights and I would recommend going to CGA during the day and leaving around 4-7PM and heading to the Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is awesome at night with all the lights and atmosphere and if you go on a Retro Night its $1.50 (one ticket) per ride or $9.99 for a ride wristband and in the past hot dogs, soda, and cotton candy were the same price as ride tickets as well.

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is worth it for the atmosphere and history, classic rides like the Giant Dipper and Carousel with the Ring Toss (it's like the Carousel at Knoebels but slightly better in my opinion), and some of the crazy flat rides they have added over the years (including two new ones this year). The cheesy haunted walkthroughs and dark rides are also worth trying out if you have a wristband. Here's TR of me at a Retro Night (called 1907 Nights back then) at the Boardwalk several years ago to give you an idea.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60019&p=1069231&hilit=805Andrew%27s+TR#p1069231 (scroll down halfway for SCBB)

CGA is worth it for Gold Striker if you can visit it (especially if you have a Cedar Fair pass). Flight Deck and Drop Tower (late 90s Intamin drop ride) are also great and now they have Patriot too which is supposed to be much improved over Vortex. Don't skip out on the flat rides at CGA, there's some good ones on the left side of the park by Boomerang Bay.

If you could only pick one park though I would go with the Boardwalk though. Here's a quote from my 2011 TR:

I always thought SCBB was alright, but after visiting it at night I totally became a fan of this place. My three hours at SCBB were more memorable than a whole day I spent at CGA ten days later.

Of course this was before CGA had Goldstriker, which is the best wooden coaster in the Golden State in my opinion.

Oh wow, that's surprising hours, but very good to know thanks!

I am confident it'll happen. I guess details need to be worked out but the WCB is such a great event, I imagine SFMM KBF and Robb will manage to work out a new date. Least I hope! I can finally go back If not, guess it'll be Lightning Rod and Fury 325 for me.

But yeah I never thought to look into that, given the area's climate I just assumed it has full hours year round

^^ How packed is Retro Night? Quassy used to have 25 cent night and lines for rides and food reached 20-40 minutes. While that doesn't seem like much, everything is usually a walk-on there.

Retro Night I would imagine is pretty busy. I went to Retro Night like 10 years ago. The deal was something along the lines of specific soda cans having coupons on them, and you'd bring the can in and get a 10-dollar unlimited wristband. I remember the lines being pretty long. Still fun and a good deal though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I took a visit to the Boardwalk this past Sunday (6/3/2012) to go on a behind-the-scenes tour of the Boardwalk, as well as ride the new Crazy Surf.

The new Crazy Surf looks like a winner! The ride seats 18 across, with individual lapbars. The lapbars are free to open and close as you enter your seat. Once everyone is seated, the operator instructs riders to raise their hands up. With the lapbars in the down position, they inch towards your stomach in a smooth, hydraulic fashion. There are pinch points near the mechanism, so it is important that everyone keeps their hands up as the lapbars tighten.

The ride begins normally enough, in a very similar way to the old Crazy Surf. The motion is surprisingly smoother than the old Crazy Surf. About halfway through the cycle, the carriage pauses at the top and tilts forward 20 degrees (according to KMG). At the same time, the water jet begin to raise up. Just as the carriage begins to descend, the jets lower so riders don't get wet. This process repeats a few times, with the carriage tilting forward and back to vertical while stationary at the top.

I think the ride is a great addition to the park. The tilting, water jets, lapbars only, and comfortable seats give the ride a major edge over the old Crazy Surf. Even though the tilt is not that much, it would catch anyone off guard who is unaware the ride is able to move in such a way. The water jets give a great effect of nearly getting wet. Hopefully in the heat of the summer, the ride will turn into a water ride, with the water fountains staying high enough to get the riders wet.

Join me below for some pictures of my day.

I know this was 5 years ago, but I am SO glad I stumbled upon your post!! Those were some amazinggg photos of all the retro Boardwalk and backstage sneak peeks

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been here recently?

Its next on my list. I've already been to CGA and SFDK this summer and was gonna wrap the summer season up with SCBB and then do SFMM in the fall. The few times I was in this area as a kid everything was closed. Always wanted to ride Giant Dipper. I'm planning on going the 16th or 17th.

On the other hand, my trip to SFDK last month wasn't very good due to bringing along some dysfunctional family members who had never been there before and I'm considering dropping BB and going to SFDK again instead so I can get the full experience properly. Joker and WW are begging for rerides, V2 was down on my visit(never rode one), and I missed out on Superman.

SCBB only has two coasters and basically a bunch of fair rides. Gin Blossoms playing there on the 18th so that kinda sweetens the pot although I only loved one song of theirs.

I did like Tiki Twirl at CGA and the new ride here is similar. The two coasters, shockwave, Tilt-a whirl, ferris wheels, double shot, the ski lift, and fireball which is currently down my main(only?) interests. After that, I'm out of things to do other than rerides.

I read Andrew's TR from a few years back. Pretty good(I also love In N Out) and great pics. That line for Fireball was bat poop crazy. I'm praying it reopens before I make my decision.

Decisions, decisions.

Anyone who likes both places and if faced with similar circumstances, which would you pick?

Its next on my list. I've already been to CGA and SFDK this summer and was gonna wrap the summer season up with SCBB and then do SFMM in the fall. The few times I was in this area as a kid everything was closed. Always wanted to ride Giant Dipper. I'm planning on going the 16th or 17th.

On the other hand, my trip to SFDK last month wasn't very good due to bringing along some dysfunctional family members who had never been there before and I'm considering dropping BB and going to SFDK again instead so I can get the full experience properly. Joker and WW are begging for rerides, V2 was down on my visit(never rode one), and I missed out on Superman.

SCBB only has two coasters and basically a bunch of fair rides. Gin Blossoms playing there on the 18th so that kinda sweetens the pot although I only loved one song of theirs.

I did like Tiki Twirl at CGA and the new ride here is similar. The two coasters, shockwave, Tilt-a whirl, ferris wheels, double shot, the ski lift, and fireball which is currently down my main(only?) interests. After that, I'm out of things to do other than rerides.

I read Andrew's TR from a few years back. Pretty good(I also love In N Out) and great pics. That line for Fireball was bat poop crazy. I'm praying it reopens before I make my decision.

Decisions, decisions.

Anyone who likes both places and if faced with similar circumstances, which would you pick?

If all that matters is number of coasters, then SFDK has more. SCBB is a far better park and a much nicer place to spend a day though, not even close. And though SCBB only has two coasters, they are both excellent. Giant Dipper is a classic and one of the best traditional woodies out there. Undertow is a very smooth comfortable spinner that gives a very different ride each time and has some amazing views.

But SCBB is more than just coasters..take some friends, enjoy the beach, do some shopping, have some salt water taffy and take in a concert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick question for those experienced with this park...

I'm planning on going to NorCal (for the first time) during the week between Christmas and New Years. On their website, it says they have "limited ride availability" days. It says to expect 5 major rides to be open, so I assume Undertow and Giant Dipper are part of that? Has it been like that in the past?

I'm hitting up SFDK and CGA, and I'd like to visit this park as well if the two major coasters are open. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

From my experience, I remember the Carousel, Speedbumps, Giant Dipper, and Haunted Castle being open for sure, but that was a wile back. I would expect those rides I list to be open, as well as maybe Cave Train, Ghost Blasters, and Wipe Out (since they're indoor rides).

On another note, I wonder if they'll remove Fireball and replace it with a new ride. I think a top spin would be nice... if it would fit...

kieputin-linnanmaki-helsinki-finland.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

If all that matters is number of coasters, then SFDK has more. SCBB is a far better park and a much nicer place to spend a day though, not even close. And though SCBB only has two coasters, they are both excellent. Giant Dipper is a classic and one of the best traditional woodies out there. Undertow is a very smooth comfortable spinner that gives a very different ride each time and has some amazing views.

But SCBB is more than just coasters..take some friends, enjoy the beach, do some shopping, have some salt water taffy and take in a concert.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Santa Cruz is way more than roller coasters and I would go there over SFDK any day unless it was specifically to get a coaster fix. Giant Dipper still holds up to being one of my favorite wooden coasters after all these years and new additions to other parks. I visit Capitola and Santa Cruz very often there's so much to do and it's beautiful. The fact that SCBB has plenty of flats, an aged coaster, and old-school dark rides & still manage to not look dated at all is a big plus too.

• 4 months later...

Had a chance to check out Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk the other day. Here are my thoughts!

First off, let me just say, this place is perfect for die hard amusement park enthusiasts. It was everything I love about amusement parks. The sights; the food (which there is tons of!); great selection of flat rides; rickety, old awesome woodie; boardwalk games; hell, it even smelled a perfect balance of cotton candy, funnel cake and greasy oil. It couldn't have been more perfect.

It's also equal parts museum as it is amusement park. The history and stories surrounding some of the parks best attractions and items make it a must visit for any enthusiast.

I have nothing but love for this place. It was perfect environment and has everything that makes amusement parks great. A high recommendation if you are in the area. The Giant Dipper is a must ride for coaster credit and that alone is enough to visit. But there is so much more!

20180420_174203.thumb.jpg.9efd272ce0de70b62351b1b777a3cf87.jpg

Front of the Boardwalk. There are actually several entrances.

20180420_153220(0).thumb.jpg.86826384d566b38d300910a63c4e03e2.jpg

20180420_152505.thumb.jpg.eaf8a6f0ddda9656ada3f2cfab4e1ae3.jpg

The utilization of space here was quite impressive. With all of the rides and food locations, along with games, caricature drawings, tables, benches and shops, there is a LOT packed in. But it never felt cramped or busy.

20180420_155509.thumb.jpg.89ef5d8cd8d2b4d1e7dc1c34e3eb83f5.jpg

20180420_162551.thumb.jpg.5d37aa1353612baa7028cea082ea9959.jpg

20180420_161713.thumb.jpg.cefa0082d29110f7deb12e1503a0a8c9.jpg

Some find these cheap thrills, lame. I do not. I love them! Lame animatronics, cheap scares and all.

20180420_154812.thumb.jpg.af55749bf23a786353981ad5f60c7270.jpg

20180420_152909(0).thumb.jpg.db12ba08abefd52a39ac34c59ec26969.jpg

World famous Giant Dipper. A very special credit!

20180420_153220(0).thumb.jpg.86826384d566b38d300910a63c4e03e2.jpg

20180420_153247(0).thumb.jpg.7952a2eeb3f9a1bdc3c14f6244acb252.jpg

20180420_155455.thumb.jpg.878e49ff5c523c02fa46656d0c86529d.jpg

Undertow was a fantastic ride. A nice, visually wonderful addition!

20180420_153220(0).thumb.jpg.d5e9fa0df41637f75f3b1443a2c2a7cf.jpg