Photo TR: Drayton Manor (Page 19)

Is this the best park in England?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jo My Oh!

Cruise and Sea World!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

From February 2nd to the 10th, I took a nice family vacation down to Florida. We went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise for 4 days to the Bahamas, and afterwards, we went to Sea World and Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure. I gotta admit, everyday was boat loads of fun and everything went soothingly! If you are a picture person, you can skip the the pictures, but here's a nice (but long) written up review for everything!

Reviews

Cruise: I'll try to keep this short since I want to focus on Sea World Orlando mostly, but Royal Caribbean had some really nice deals for cruises in February. (I'm talking 150 dollars a person for 4 days!) I was sailing on Monarch of the Seas, which was a pretty decent sized ship for my first cruise. We departed from Cape Canaveral and we stopped in Nassau and at Royal Caribbean's private island. It was a blast, especially because Chicago received over 2 feet of snow when we drove down to Florida, so it was a nice break from all the snow! I totally recommend Royal Caribbean to anyone who wants to plan a very affordable cruise, the service was great, restaurants were delicious, and even though the rooms were small, you don't want to spend time in there when you're on a ship full of fun things to do!

Now onto Sea World Orlando! This was my first visit to the park (February 7th) and I had no idea what to expect! It was also my first Sea World park, and I have yet to read one person that does not like Sea World! On the website, it said Journey to Atlantis would be down for Winter rehab, but the ride was up and running, which is a total plus in my book! The crowds were very minimal, it was a Monday and there were clouds up all day, which didn't turn out nicely in my photos, and it did eventually start to rain 5 minutes after the park closed. The animals were great, I didn't even have enough time to see all of them. But the rides were fantastic, and am glad Sea World did it's best to operate the rides even with the passing storms.

The shows, I would say, are average. We first saw the Shamu Show, the now defunct "Believe" and I couldn't be more disappointed! The whales did a couple of tricks, and most of the show was talking, and the only thing keeping me awake was the wind blowing from the top of the stadium. We next saw the Sea Lion, Otter, and Walrus show, and oh my god, the best show I have ever seen at any park, no joke! It was extremely funny, had a great plot line, cute animals, and the tricks were definitely amazing! How can someone not like sea otters?! The last show we saw that day was the dolphin show by Manta. It was alright, it was pretty cool, I didn't really get the whole show, but the kids I was with loved it.

Journey to Atlantis - Walk On - Now, this ride was suppose to be down for today, at least according to their website, so I was not expecting to ride this baby! It was pretty chilly that day, (mid - 60's), and was glad I did not get very wet on the first drop, but I can't say the same for the second "dip"! The ride was pretty interesting and I like the hidden drop at the end, wonder how the other Journey's compare at other Sea World parks.

Kraken - Walk On - Our first attempt at riding this was shot down because of a lightning strike somewhere in the area, but the ride did eventually open. I'd say it is above average. I've ridden Dominator, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Bizarro, and I'd say it's the 2nd best floorless behind Dominator. I liked the tunnels and the great ending, and the cobra roll was pretty intense! Rode it twice in the front and back.

Manta - 10-25 minutes - We first waited 25 minutes for the back, they were running one train all day. Before riding, I really did not like B&M Flyers, especially cause Superman: Ultimate Flight at SF Great America could have been a whole lot better, but Manta changed my mind a bit! I loved the layout and the many inversions, and I sat on the edge closest to the water splash down and it was a very interesting, but good experience! I rode it again in the back, and it confirmed that Manta is definitely a really great flyer!

Sorry for all that typing and my overuse of the word "and"... Here are the photos and feedback is appreciated!
001.jpg
To start off the trip, we had to shovel the 2+ feet of snow, and it was still snowing when we left. It ended up being the biggest blizzard since 1999 in Chicago!
Viewed 1425 times
0.3 [800x600].jpg
This is the best picture I got of the Monarch of the Seas. It was a pretty decent ship, but I am not sure how it compares to any of the Disney ships or Carnival Cruise ships.
Viewed 1425 times
0 [800x600].jpg
On the first night, I decided to explore the ship with my camera, and I took my most favorite picture I have ever taken, which is now my desktop background! Stunning....
Viewed 1425 times
0.1 [800x600].jpg
It was neat seeing the famous Atlantis Hotel that we got a tour of. I was surprised at how small the whole city of Nassau was... and Atlantis was the biggest thing there!
Viewed 1425 times
0.2 [800x600].jpg
Here's the last photo from the cruise that I'll post. The private island had shallow water, so the ship had to stay far away, and a smaller boat would carry passengers back and forth between the island and ship. On the plus side, free food on the ship AND island, simply paradise!
Viewed 1425 times
1 [800x600].jpg
Now onto Sea World. This was the first thing you would see when entering. I'd say it's alright, seemed a little dull except for Manta straight ahead.
Viewed 1425 times
2 [800x600].jpg
They were running one train on Manta and Kraken all day, so I already excuse myself for not having many photos with trains in them. I do love the layout of Manta though!
Viewed 1425 times
3 [800x600].jpg
Manta had a steeper lift hill than Superman, and I liked it a whole lot better, Superman's lift hill makes me want to puke.
Viewed 1425 times
5.5 [800x600].jpg
I love the entrance sign and the actual entrance, it really does not feel like an entrance! And I was surprised by the lack of queue's for Manta, where would all the people wait on crowded days?
Viewed 1425 times
6 [800x600].jpg
I really loved the animals at the park. This one reminded me of Crush from Finding Nemo : )
Viewed 1425 times
13 [800x600].jpg
Sea world did an excellent job creating an atmosphere, it really felt like a whole new world.
Viewed 1425 times
16 [800x600].jpg
Here's another picture. I was surprised at how large the park was, but I didn't mind the walking.
Viewed 1425 times
19 [800x600].jpg
Please enjoy one of the only things the whales did.
Viewed 1425 times
20 [800x600].jpg
Was I disappointed with the show? Yes. I felt like it could have been a whole lot better and am glad they installed a new show sequence.
Viewed 1425 times
21 [800x600].jpg
The pretzel loop was a whole lot bigger than Superman's, and it was a whole lot better! Now I won't look down upon B&m Flyers.
Viewed 1425 times
27 [800x600].jpg
Journey to Atlantis could have been build with a building like Jurassic Park's, but the building it is in is just amazing!
Viewed 1425 times
30 [800x600].jpg
The setting all around was great, really didn't feel like a "amusement park" or "theme park," it barely felt like a zoo!
Viewed 1425 times
32 [800x600].jpg
The dude running the show did an excellent job improvising when something went wrong! Seriously a funny show and I recommend it to anyone!
Viewed 1425 times
40 [800x600].jpg
I'd say that Manta is very photo-genic.
Viewed 1425 times
43.2 [800x600].jpg
I liked the Dolphin show a lot more than the killer whale show. The trainers swam with them and did a lot more tricks. All the flying and trapeze wasn't bad either.
Viewed 1425 times
44 [800x600].jpg
The one of 2 pictures I actually got a train in. And they both turned out pretty bad! You can see the clouds starting to come in, which will eventually start a big down pour.
Viewed 1425 times
48 [800x600].jpg
This dolphin cove thing was very cool! Although sea gulls would try to steal your food, the dolphins were definitely friend to all of the park guests!
Viewed 1425 times
50 [800x600].jpg
I love the detail Sea World put into on making this Kraken! Although I wish the fence wasn't built right up against it.
Viewed 1425 times
51 [800x600].jpg
Kraken is pretty well hidden away from the path. And notice how the ride entrance is part of the "kraken" posted above.
Viewed 1425 times
55 [800x600].jpg
These corkscrews or whatever you call them on a flyer were very fun, I'm glad Manta was built how it was, it's perfect.
Viewed 1425 times
56 [800x600].jpg
Here's the last shot before it started to thunderstorm. Thanks for reading and Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter!) Will be posted in the next couple of days. Now go dance the Macarena!
Viewed 1425 times

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Re: Photo TR - Sea World Orlando and Royal Caribbean Cruise!

Postby The SETGO Guys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Really glad that you enjoyed Manta!

I had the chance to ride it recently and I really enjoyed it too! I really also enjoy the fact that Manta just doesn't seem to have a line! I am glad to report that Manta is running 2 trains now and that the capacity is a heck of a lot better now!

I agree with the Shamu comments and can't wait to see the new one!

However the one credit you missed...Shamu Express...don't worry about....its a "WHORE"ible coaster.

:P

Thanks!
-Zach

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Inukaza » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:57 pm

HOLY CRAP, Those Orange umbrellas are totally new to the park. I've never seen them before!

No, just kidding, while I really haven't seen them before, I'll leave a positive post like you asked! I really enjoyed this Photo TR, nice photos, and it makes me feel like I should get to the park more often. Thanks for posting it.
Baby, I'm howlin' for you.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby griffonj2022 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Manta was my first B&M Flyer when I rode it back in September and I loved it too...All of the twists and inversions, not to mention the :airtime: at the top of the pretzel loop.

Thanks for the photos, can't wait to go back now =)

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Re: Photo TR - Beech Bend & Holiday World!

Postby Mr. Starr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 am

Awesome report! Manta looks amazing, and I remember a lot of the park and shows from when I was little, but apparentely a lot has changed!

Can't wait to see more of your reports =)

Jerrykoala2112 wrote:
Mr. Starr wrote:Awesome P:TR Jer! Take me to Holiday World the next time you go! =)

Will do Ryan! Thanks! I'll make sure you ride the Voyage in the front.

Oh, of course :)

nathan c stark is a bunghole

Newton2 fondles my manhood.

Postby AJClarke0912 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I loved Manta when I went to SeaWorld (it was my first flyer). The whole thing from the get-go is amazing, from the aquariums, to the layout, to the colors of the ride. They really hit a home run with that ride.

Nice report! I should check back more often. :P

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Manta and Kraken are my top coasters in the flyer and floorless categories for good reason. You can't really judge B&M flyers on the Superman clones, just ride Tatsu and/or Manta and you'll see just how good they can be. Manta in the back row is so damn good. If Kraken's ending was a little better, it would probably be my favorite B&M.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Nice pictures! SeaWorld is such a beautiful park! I'm glad you liked Manta and Kraken, as I would put them both in my top 25 coasters!
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am

Skycoastin Steve wrote:Manta and Kraken are my top coasters in the flyer and floorless categories for good reason. You can't really judge B&M flyers on the Superman clones, just ride Tatsu and/or Manta and you'll see just how good they can be. Manta in the back row is so damn good. If Kraken's ending was a little better, it
would probably be my favorite B&M.

Yeah, I really knew that the Superman clones were lacking the extra "umph" that other flyers being built had, especially Manta and that new one in China! So I really looked down upon B&m Flyers until I got my chance to ride Manta.

BaMiTsPaT wrote:Nice pictures! SeaWorld is such a beautiful park! I'm glad you liked Manta and Kraken, as I would put them both in my top 25 coasters!

Thanks! And I agree... Sea World is definitely a park where quality beats out quantity... And it definitely worked out well!

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Great TR! These photos are making me want to get to Orlando even more! I can't wait to ride Manta, Kraken and JTA this summer!
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!