Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby Aaronupsidasium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

This is kind of depressing for me, because I have been wanting to ride the Cyclone in its original state (just to say that I did) for several years now. I guess I need to get out there in May and ride the thing before all the track gets completely replaced.

I think you missed the boat on that by about 40 years. The Cyclone has a completely steel structure, which I assume was done after it was condemned, refurbished and reopened in the early 70's.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:02 pm

ernierocker wrote:
OISU8P wrote:I wonder if whatever they do will make it loose its ACE status?

And how does someone loose a status? Does it start off tight and then gradually get looser???

Good one. :oops: Typing fast and missed that. Thanks for catching it Jeff ;)

Anyways, my post was not saying I "hope they do not loss it". I am just curious on what would cause this if it happened in general. I believe Blue Streak at CP went through this. Again, just curious here.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby jmicha » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm

^^The Cyclone's structure has always been steel.

As for the refurbishment, I say bring it on if it makes the ride more enjoyable. The ride is historic, but being rough isn't part of its history. A retracking and refurbishment of the trains is ideal, but even getting new trains won't make the ride any less of a historic piece of Coney Island. It's a machine and unfortunately they don't last forever when they're used so often.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby David H » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 am

A.J. wrote:
cal1br3tto wrote:^But how similar? For some people it might go beyond just the appearance. I like the buzz bars, though the extra padding is bizarre and I'm not sure how much it really helps.

The re-tracking will definitely help. Smoothing out the transitions and crests would throw riders around less, and not be as, umm, painful (I don't know, like I said, I still need to get out and ride the blasted thing).

Isn't the padding just some foam duct-taped to the safety bar, anyway? :lmao:

But here's where we get confused between ROUGH and WILD in coasters.

A WILD coaster throws you around -- in a GOOD way. Even in its best days with perfect maintenance, the Coney Island Cyclone would be a wild coaster!

A ROUGH coaster hurts you in a BAD way. Usually it's the jackhammering feeling like being run over a washboard that comes with poor maintenance. Or that rough BANG when you hit a "pothole" at the bottom of one of the drops. Usually maintenance can fix a rough coaster.

What I'm concerned about is whether Zamperla and the city (who own the Cyclone) want to just get rid of the rough parts, or if they want to tame down the wild elements as well. I want the coaster to be less painful (with less jackhammering and fewer potholes), but I absolutely do NOT want it to throw me around less! That's part of what makes it the Cyclone! And what makes it such a great coaster. In other words, I want them to make it smoother, but keep it as wild as possible. Hopefully, GCI can accomplish this, but ultimately it's their job to do whatever the people who hired them want them to do.

As for ACE Coaster Classic status, I'd imagine that it would depend on what they do with new trains. If they get ratcheting lapbars, then it will lose its status, since fixed position lapbars are one of the primary criteria for a coaster being run in a "classic" fashion. Since the lawyers and insurance companies tend to like ratcheting lapbars, I imagine that there's a good chance it will lose this status. If so, I can't imagine that ACE wouldn't then award it its newer "landmark coaster" status, since the Cyclone is probably the most notable landmark coaster still standing, with only the possible exception of Leap the Dips.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:16 am

Like I said, I've never ridden it, so I really can't judge.

I'd think that the parts that GCI would re-profile would be the parts where there is a sudden spike in forces, such as before a turn.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazywolf88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:20 am

Although I didn't ride boulder dash in its original form, what GCI did to that ride is incredible! I wonder what they'll re-imagine on cyclone? (maybe a double down :roll: )
"You cannot even begin to understand what is Right until you know what is Wrong."
-Personal quote

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby osm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm also conflicted. I'm planning to finally ride it in June, and I wanted to experience it in all of it's rough/wild/classic glory. However, I'm sure GCI will do a great job, and the ride will be less painful than it is now, from the reports that I've heard. I hope the refurbishments can be done in a way that makes the experience more pleasant without sacrificing any of the unique and classic elements.
Coaster Count- 64 (49 Steel, 13 Wood, 1 Water, 1 Powered)
Top 10- 1. Maverick (CP) 2. Skyrush (HP) 3. El Toro (SFGA) 4. Bizarro (SFNE) 5. Phoenix (Kno) 6. Millennium Force (CP) 7. Behemoth (CW) 8. Nitro (SFGA) 9. Storm Runner (HP) 10. Incredible Hulk (IOA)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby megamatt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Does anyone know the last time it was retracked? I wonder how many times it has been retracked in it's history.

I seriously hope they keep the original cars, or at least make new ones using the exact same design.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Aaronupsidasium wrote:
This is kind of depressing for me, because I have been wanting to ride the Cyclone in its original state (just to say that I did) for several years now. I guess I need to get out there in May and ride the thing before all the track gets completely replaced.

I think you missed the boat on that by about 40 years. The Cyclone has a completely steel structure, which I assume was done after it was condemned, refurbished and reopened in the early 70's.

Actually, no, the Cyclone's support structure is NOT completely fashioned of steel. As with those other long-lost Coney legends –-- Thunderbolt and Tornado --- the Cyclone's taller uprights are indeed steel but wooden bents support many of the pullouts. Obviously, this is so the wood can absorb the tremendous forces generated by the heavy trains.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby zacattack » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Well, yeah, eff ACE is right... what I'm more curious about is the fact that the Cyclone is a National Landmark and what this reworking will do to that status. I had a friend who worked at an inn in the Rockies that was also a National Landmark and they were unable to renovate in order to become handicap accessible and that did have something to do with the original appearance of the structure and how it looked when it entered the registry. (Otherwise, they would have lost the status.) So, I would think in order to preserve the status of being a National Landmark GCI will have to tread carefully and lightly... and hopefully that's on their radar. But ACE can shove it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!