Coney Island (Luna Park) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:21 pm

A.J. wrote:The Cyclone is the worst coaster I've ever ridden, but it's not my least favorite. Like I said, I love the layout.

Exactly how I feel. The airtime is the only thing that partly redeems it for me.

Also, that sea serpent is absolutely freakin' adorable.

Sorry you ran into some issues, though. Coney Island thoroughly creeped me out last year (in a mostly bad, non-charming way). The run-down attractions and possibly insane staff at the older venues were fine by me, but the clientele rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason. I'm only willing to re-evaluate the area and potentially become a fan because of its fascinating history and its location in NYC.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I just don't understand the Cyclone complaints...I rode it in the back seat of the middle car, and I loved it completely. So did the people I was with. It's rough, but I think you need to accept that considering that it's what, 85 years old now? And it's hardly as rough as anyone makes it out to be. Honestly a great ride that feels completely out of control, and I wish the profiles of all the hills weren't being smoothed-out and changed so drastically. Part of what made it great to me was how jerky it was, how nothing was built perfectly.
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby dragonskeep » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:37 pm

We took a very late night trip to Coney Island a couple years a go . From the midnight train ride from Manhattan to the 1 am rides on Cycloine, a very weird experience. Quarter bathrooms and bar soap, a puker right the F*** in front of Nathan's and you can't imagine how bad I wanted that hot dog, The Warriors, and the above stated "operations" on Cyclone made for a memorable experience. Still to this day I haven't had a Nathans hot dog.

Cyclone itself, I thought was a blast.

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:13 pm

^So the paid bathrooms are real! I remember seeing a sign about that at Deno's.

coasterfreak101 wrote:And it's hardly as rough as anyone makes it out to be.

Yes it is. Riding the back seat alone, I felt as if several bones in various parts of me were actually breaking on the first couple drops. And despite knowing how unrealistic this would be, I swear I was honestly a bit surprised that my thighs took that much pain and didn't literally snap. I ended up with the most bizarre, abnormal-looking, lumpy hand-sized bruise that took at least a month to disappear.

Also, the other rows in the back car are noticeably less rough than the very back (I was informed of this by others and wasn't sure if I'd actually find it true...but I definitely did).

I'm looking forward to reriding now that the worst drops are supposedly smoother, but part of me wonders if I'll miss the murderous intensity of years past (or if the rest of the course will just about make up for it).

X > X2

Postby X2coasterfreak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I was there today for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. I actually really like Cyclone, it's GCI re-track was really smooth and fun. Soarin Eagle was extremely painful, it took away from the fun. Tickler I thought was boring, but I really liked Steeplechase. It was SO much better than Pony Express. I wasn't there for that long, and was able to get all the credits and eat lunch at Nathan's. Overall it was a really cool day!
Credit Count: 149
128 Steel 21 Wood

#1 Steel: Intimidator 305
#1 wood: El Toro
(SFGAdv)
Please ignore my extremely embarrassing username

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:10 pm

I never said it was really painful, but I came off with a headache. I don't hate the Cyclone either, and any other day I'd have another go in a different seat. My rough experience was probably because I sat directly above a wheel - first car, fourth row.

As for Coney Island itself, I don't like the area at all, crowds or not. I had to get back onto Surf Avenue quickly, so I went through an alleyway between Deno's Wonder Wheel Park and Luna Park. It was in terrible shape with old sideshows and shops. One guy that ran a children's play area kept saying that I was that comedian Carrot Top and tried to get me to come in. Very, very creepy.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

^That's actually the alleyway that the city is cleaning up. Glad to see it's going well! :lol:
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:10 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:^So the paid bathrooms are real! I remember seeing a sign about that at Deno's.

Luna Park has complimentary rest rooms.
I believe they still charge at Deno's Wonder Wheel Park.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby ernierocker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:21 pm

I remember paying to go to the restroom when we went in 2008, but couldn't recall if it was Deno's or not.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:38 pm

^The old Astroland usually used to charge for the restrooms, by CAI changed that with the opening of Luna Park.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!